Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #1
bm_cricket

Drives: 2013 Yaris SE, Manual
Cheapest Extended Warranty?

I just purchased a new 2013 Toyota Yaris SE and I'm considering the extended warranty. I plan to keep it for >8 years and I drive <5,000 miles per year. I don't modify my cars and I drive like an old lady. I know that prices vary but I'm not sure what the BEST price will be. I got this car because it's fairly idiot proof and fairly bullet proof but everything breaks eventually.

Do you have a warranty and have you ever needed it? Do you not have one and you feel it would have saved you money if you did?

Thanks all!

(PS, tips on a trailer hitch are welcome too!)
bm_cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I paid $659 for a 7/75,000 Platinum warr. from the dealer. In 2008. I've not needed it yet thank God!

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣

Drives: 2013 Yaris 3-Door LE ~Pearl~
I paid about $675 for my extended warranty on my 2013.
It was more for gap coverage than it was the warranty.
I think mine was 8 year, 75k miles bumper to bumper.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm_cricket View Post
but everything breaks eventually
The thing is, with this car that eventually is often further down the road than with many other cars. Trini showed that that point can be past 400k miles. I think part of what you can expect will be influenced by where in the U.S. you live, and part will also be influenced by how often you drive during heavy traffic.

There are at least 7 members who have over 245k on there Yari (including me) and I can think of the location of 5 of them off the top of my head and they are all in warm weather locales -- Florida (trini at over 500k (and another person over 350k) -- California (Contraband831 at close to or over 250k in (I think the Central Valley) and Mazilla at over 530k (2nd owner) in San Diego) -- and me (California and SE Texas and at almost 247k) and we've had pretty good luck with our cars. Other than maintenance (tires, oil and filer changes, batteries, spark plugs), I've only had 2 repair on my Yaris -- wheel bearings at 110k and alternator at 159k. I know at least one other person has 350k and another 265k+, but I don't remember where those two members live.

If I had to guess off the top of my head which geographic area = owners who seem to have more problems, I'd have to say the Northeastern part of the U.S....Why? (if this is the case)...Who knows? Salt on the roads in various places in the winter? Temperature fluctuation? More time spent in traffic (greater population density)? Potential for rust? (Certainly not for lack of maintenance from the many savvy members in the Northeast ).

I think driving very few miles will also work against you. When I read posts about issues people are having, if they've posted how many miles they drive, it often isn't very many. I've even read a few posts where commenters have suggested that part of the problem = that the OP hardly ever drives his/her car. You definitely wont have to worry about wearing anything out re driving too many miles. However, if you never get out on the highway/freeway/interstate/turnpike and 'blow the pipes out', so to speak, that isn't a great reality either. Ultimately, only you will know how hard your daily driving is on your car. I would look at the extended warranty as a waste of money, but I love to drive for pleasure...and so does my aunt...and my grandfather started that trend. With the number of miles you drive, it might be worth it to get a warranty if those miles will be harsh miles. Perhaps someone who doesn't drive very many miles, but drives miles that are hard on the car can give his or her opinion re if it ould be worth it for you or not.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
bm_cricket

Drives: 2013 Yaris SE, Manual
Thanks for the input. This car was so "cheap" that I'll just drive it as needed and fix it when it breaks. I'd say that my driving is 80% in town and low speed, the other 20% is usually freeway at >=65mph. I usually average about 7,000 miles per year in my personal car. This may be driven a little more often for work and so I'll probably put more miles on it than my Mazda Miata. The SE is pretty fun to drive on the freeway and I'd say it handles a little better than the LE. The longer I drive it the more I realize how big of a tradeoff the turning radius really is for parking lots and city driving. It the 36ft diameter turn makes it feel like a boat.. Thankfully everything else is nice.
bm_cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I would look at the extended warranty as a waste of money, but I love to drive for pleasure...and so does my aunt...and my grandfather started that trend. With the number of miles you drive, it might be worth it to get a warranty if those miles will be harsh miles. Perhaps someone who doesn't drive very many miles, but drives miles that are hard on the car can give his or her opinion re if it ould be worth it for you or not.
i totally agree especially if it is an outgoing model. id rather just use up the existing warranty and anything that breaks after that is something you can easily have done somewhere. this is a Toyota. hardly anything breaks. and if it does, it'll be cheap to repair.

DISCLAIMER: i'm assuming Toyota parts are relatively inexpensive there in the US too as it was here or in Middle East Asia; relative to other brands of cars, that is.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:36 PM   #7
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
don't bother with an extended warranty. Instead pay close attention to TSB's and bring them to the attention of your local dealer during your standard warranty period.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #8
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
don't bother with an extended warranty. Instead pay close attention to TSB's and bring them to the attention of your local dealer during your standard warranty period.
^^ This! ^^
Old 07-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #9
Alexrahl

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
^^ This! ^^

Yeah, warranties sound nice and all , but generally they are money makers for the people selling them and not too useful to the consumer. YMMV but i always stay away from them.
Alexrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #10
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
My wife used to work at the Kia dealership here in town. She said they made a killing off of selling extended warranties, and found all sorts of ways to not honor them. The markup was 800%.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
My wife used to work at the Kia dealership here in town. She said they made a killing off of selling extended warranties, and found all sorts of ways to not honor them. The markup was 800%.
Wow. Sounds like the same vibe that Septembersrain got from that company.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
care, extended, warranty