Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-31-2008, 05:38 PM   #37
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
Hmmmm..... i could've sworn that knowledge was experience....lol
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:10 AM   #38
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Well thanks Mike for the FAQ, very educational but it does not really tell us *why* Nitrous is advantageous compared to other power-creating solutions. So, off the top of my head, and someone please correct me if I am wrong about some assumptions:

1) On-demand aspect: unlike a turbo or supercharger which are pretty much always on (with exceptions), when you want a burst of acceleration, it's just a button away.

2) Relatively easy install: No need to faff about with downpipes and tubing and belts and so on, nitrous piping is relatively speaking much easier to set up

3) Low cost of entry: You can get a Nitrous kit from several respectable companies for a lot cheaper than any turbo or supercharger kit. Of course, in the long run, refilling that bottle will add up, so if you plan to use it every single day, better save up for a turbo!

4) You can relive your Fast & Furious/Gone in 60 Seconds fantasies... Go Baby Go! In other words, this is the psychological aspect of point 1) above, there's just something cool about pressing a button and feeling the surge of speed, which I suppose would also tie in to exposure to racing video games...

5) You can get high off N2O Well, the medical grade stuff anyway...

OK I'm just getting silly now.

On the other hand there are of course disadvantages... Go crazy with the dosage and duration and you'll really shorten the life of your engine. But, the same can be said of turbos and superchargers, really... Ya gotta draw the line somewhere and stick to it, or invest heavily into strengthening the engine.

And lastly, the hot topic, why bother doing this at all on a daily driven 100hp econobox? All I can say is, why not? We can't all afford "proper" sports cars, a lot of us appreciate the "wolf in sheep's clothing" aspect of a fast Yaris, and as long as the owner understands the downsides of the planned modification, and has no problem with the prospect of shortening the engine's lifespan, go for it!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #39
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Thanks Thomas. I can see all but two of those addressed but not directly above. The getting high thing I forgot about, lol. I'll add yours to the list for reference. Can we make this a sticky?
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:49 AM   #40
changchewsoon

Drives: Vios Turbo
Send a message via MSN to changchewsoon Send a message via Yahoo to changchewsoon
sorry to bring up an old thread, i just want to share this with everyone.

this is a dyno chart of a stock yaris automatic transmission equipped with a wet nitrous kit running a 50 shot fogger nozzle. timing was retarded when the nitrous starts spraying.

engagement of the nitrous is done via e-manage, using the vtec output.

the owner later increased it to a 75 shot and spun a rod. it is now going through a rebuild with forged internals and will run a direct port system starting with 100 shots.

if anyone plans to run dry kit, you would definitely need to upgrade your injectors if you plan to spray more than 50 shots and you'll need an engine management to richen the injectors when it engages.

personally, i would think a wet kit or a direct port will be best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yaris-nitrous-dyno-chart.jpg (161.3 KB, 284 views)
changchewsoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:44 PM   #41
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Drives: 08 Vitz
I just finished installing my "dry" set up yesterday and I just need to get the bottle filled .
Its a zex "safe shot" kit which is bacially just a push button activated system . I have a "30hp" jet in right now . I'll post updates soon.
blacksandiegovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:05 PM   #42
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
lol, wow this thread was garbage from the get-go. bench racers should not be allowed to post what they read about another persons post about their buddy's friend's mom's mustang and pretend it's applicable here.

if the car can handle 75 more turbo horsepower, it should be able to handle 50 more nitrous horsepower (remember that nitrous and turbo power curves are backwards from each other. nitrous comes in hard, and tapers off, turbo comes in soft and ends much "stronger". this is why you should never spray your engine at low revs. your rods can't handle the shock load of 50 extra hp at 2000rpms)

and thanks to those who posted actual knowledge, not BS gleaned from watching youtube.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:49 PM   #43
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
lol, wow this thread was garbage from the get-go. bench racers should not be allowed to post what they read about another persons post about their buddy's friend's mom's mustang and pretend it's applicable here.

if the car can handle 75 more turbo horsepower, it should be able to handle 50 more nitrous horsepower (remember that nitrous and turbo power curves are backwards from each other. nitrous comes in hard, and tapers off, turbo comes in soft and ends much "stronger". this is why you should never spray your engine at low revs. your rods can't handle the shock load of 50 extra hp at 2000rpms)

and thanks to those who posted actual knowledge, not BS gleaned from watching youtube.
^^ Word
I plan on doing first test runs with a .20 jet ie around 20hp just to make sure everything is working right then i'll step it up to either a .30=35hp or .32 =38/39hp@950psi bottle pressure . I have the nozzle about 6/7" away from the tb and the same distance from the maf . I'm at about $160 into my set-up right now , minus the nitrous fill up . I plan on getting a bottle warmer when I find one for cheap and a pressure gauge too . I'll post up dyno and or 1/8 mile numbers real soon , just need more cash lol
Btw my car/motor are under warrenty for 83,000 more miles and my dealer/service department guys are all really cool with my car/warrenty work(no questions asked and they dont care my car is modded) so no worrie's if I happen to ef' the motor up with too much n2o
Old 08-04-2009, 12:49 AM   #44
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Remember to run premium fuel.
Perhaps some Lucas or Torco octane booster and 1 step colder plugs... all cheap upgrades that will help you prevent detonation. Especially on a dry shot.

Post some numbers and vids..!
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:34 PM   #45
changchewsoon

Drives: Vios Turbo
Send a message via MSN to changchewsoon Send a message via Yahoo to changchewsoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
nitrous comes in hard, and tapers off, turbo comes in soft and ends much "stronger". this is why you should never spray your engine at low revs. your rods can't handle the shock load of 50 extra hp at 2000rpms)
agreed, the solenoids was only triggered when the rpm reaches a minimum range of 3,500 and TPS indicating more than 90% opening.
changchewsoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:38 AM   #46
bearda

Drives: 2006 Mazda3 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTREX View Post
Remember to run premium fuel.
Perhaps some Lucas or Torco octane booster and 1 step colder plugs... all cheap upgrades that will help you prevent detonation. Especially on a dry shot.

Post some numbers and vids..!
I understand you'd want to run the colder plugs when using the nitrous to avoid detonation, but what's the effect of running one step colder the rest of the time?
Old 08-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #47
window_lee

Drives: Yaris RS 2007
does the wet kit going to make the intake system dirty???
window_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:45 PM   #48
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearda View Post
I understand you'd want to run the colder plugs when using the nitrous to avoid detonation, but what's the effect of running one step colder the rest of the time?
I think im gonna stay in the same heat range but go with either the zex plugs or e3 diamond fire plugs . From what i've read its not so much a wrong heat range plug causing detonation with nitrous as the spark plug grounding strap getting too hot and basically turning the spark plug to a glow plug .
http://www.zex.com/Pages/60/4%20and%...20Engines.aspx
Old 08-06-2009, 06:28 PM   #49
Liltoaster

Drives: 05 Echo H/B
Quote:
Originally Posted by window_lee View Post
does the wet kit going to make the intake system dirty???
Not really! I have been spraying for three bottles now and no issues with a dirty intake. If anything its cleaner :)
Liltoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:17 PM   #50
jekqmb
Local Sh*t Disturber

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB
Nitrous? Im doing it either way.....

Okay so im going to be putting the bottle on in a few weeks after my intake/exhaust setup...But i was wondering if anyone has ran nitrous on this car yet? Im doing a 50 shot Wet, i was wondering if you can get 1 step colder plugs for these cars, and how do the stock clutches hold up? Im shooting for low 15's on nitrous with bolt-ons. Maybe 135-140whp
Ill keep you guys updated! Here is the kit going on! It was on my Redline, this is an NX kit with a dual mainline for two 5 l/b bottles
Old 08-19-2009, 05:36 PM   #51
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

I just installed mine (set-up for 35 dry shot) a few weeks ago , but haven't filled the tank yet cause I still need to switch plug ( same heat range just with 3 grounding straps ) and want to make the first couple runs @ the track to make sure everything is good . Looks like a sweet kit you got keep us posted
Old 08-19-2009, 08:11 PM   #52
Mateo

Drives: Blazing blue 08 LB
wow dude cool stuff... if we meet up to take some pics I want a ride
Mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:13 PM   #53
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
If you are gonna go wet, you might wanna consider another fuel rail you can tap for the "wet" part of the shot, lol. its a return-less fuel system.

however definetely keep us posted, because I am adding nitrous sometime soon as well, and if you find a nice easy way without buying another fuel rail or tapping this one, let me know.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:02 PM   #54
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
^ Alex I think you are thinking about a direct port system. With a wet inject kit you usually add between the MAF and TB or right after the TB