Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-19-2014, 11:20 PM   #19
japle

Drives: Vitz S 2007 LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeM View Post
Just an update guys with my meter swapping.

I bought another UK meter, turns out the fault UK meter I bought before was one from an MMT model Yaris. Obviously my car bening manual meant the cluster was freaking out as it was not receiving MMT signals. Thats why it just kept on beeping. The new meter I got I made sure was from a fully manual model.

I just installed it last night and whoopee it works. I also managed to get the CEL and oil light going. (its all in the wiring, JDM wiring on the 16pin connector is totally different to EU and US)

The next task I have to do is get the ambient temp sensor going. I mentioned this in my other post and CTscott advised me on where I can find the wirring.

So in theory all I have to do is take the wire from the AC ECU and hook it up to the missing part of the meter connection ?

Can someone please confirm in the attached picture that I have found the correct connector which contains the ambient temp sensor wire on the AC ECU ?
(sorry not great picture. it was an awkward position to reach in the footwell)
Can you please take a picture of the connectors plugged to the instrument cluster for both sides? I wanna know what is different. Thanks
japle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:25 AM   #20
JudgeM

Drives: 2005 Toyota Vitz RS
Quote:
I don't remember if we ever verified that your car actually has the sensor behind the bumper?
I did find the sensor. I will try again tonight. I hope I dont have a fake sensor i.e. they put the sensor housing there but not the actual sensor in it.
JudgeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:11 AM   #21
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
I did find the sensor. I will try again tonight. I hope I dont have a fake sensor i.e. they put the sensor housing there but not the actual sensor in it.
If you saw it, it should definitely be there. Did you have the white wire with the blue on one side and grey on the other?
Old 03-24-2014, 04:30 AM   #22
JudgeM

Quote:
Can you please take a picture of the connectors plugged to the instrument cluster for both sides? I wanna know what is different. Thanks
Apa khabar japle.

I think the picture of what you want can be found in my other post : http://http://www.yarisworld.com/for...ad.php?t=49406

I will also be doing a full write up once I've sorted out everything.

Great news. I've got the ambient temp sensor working as well. It was a bit of a trial and error but I got it to work.

Thing is now everything works but there are still some wires that need to be connected and I dont know what they are for. I think they are for some warnings that cant be seen when the car is in ignition/engine off.

So far I have managed to find the following wire and their functions. Can some one please help me fill in the missing pieces:

16pin connector:
Black - CEL (check engine )
Yellow - Oil pressure
Pink - Hi beam
Red - Front fog
Orange - GND
Gray - Right turn signal
light green - lights on
blue - battery
violet - ?
dark green - ?
brown - ?
light blue - ?

I left of some of these unknown connections and everything still works so I am confused as to what they are for. I need to know since the wiring pinout is different to the JDM meter.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:59 AM   #23
CTScott
ULTIMATE

This is what I have documented for the 16 pin connector on Japanese market cluster:

1. Light Blue - Alternator Charge Warning
2. Violet - Brake fluid level warning
3. No connection
4. Black - CEL
5. White - Auto Headlight Warning
6. Sky Blue - Front Fog
7. Red - Rear Fog
8. Light Green - Left Turn Signal
9. Orange or Beige - Passenger seat belt warning
10. No Connection
11. Pink - Illumination
12. Yellow - Oil Pressure Warning
13. No Connection
14. Green - Hi Beam Indicator
15. Brown - Right Turn Signal
16. Green - Headlight Indictor
Old 03-25-2014, 04:41 AM   #24
JudgeM

Quote:
This is what I have documented for the 16 pin connector on Japanese market cluster:

1. Light Blue - Alternator Charge Warning
2. Violet - Brake fluid level warning
3. No connection
4. Black - CEL
5. White - Auto Headlight Warning
6. Sky Blue - Front Fog
7. Red - Rear Fog
8. Light Green - Left Turn Signal
9. Orange or Beige - Passenger seat belt warning
10. No Connection
11. Pink - Illumination
12. Yellow - Oil Pressure Warning
13. No Connection
14. Green - Hi Beam Indicator
15. Brown - Right Turn Signal
16. Green - Headlight Indictor
This is same as the chart you sent me a while back, unfortunately for JDM meters its not right. The JDM meter has almost sort of reversed wiring pattern to USDM and EUDM.

Thats why I asked for the colors, with that I can make a wiring chart for JDM meters. I have a couple of queries though:

the orange wire, why does it go to the cluster? the passenger seat belt warning is shown on one of the panels next to the ac vent.

some of the colors dont match up with what I get. e.g. the red, pink, light green.

I wonder why Toyota didnt keep their wiring pinouts consistent over regions.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:16 AM   #25
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
This is same as the chart you sent me a while back, unfortunately for JDM meters its not right. The JDM meter has almost sort of reversed wiring pattern to USDM and EUDM.

Thats why I asked for the colors, with that I can make a wiring chart for JDM meters. I have a couple of queries though:

the orange wire, why does it go to the cluster? the passenger seat belt warning is shown on one of the panels next to the ac vent.

some of the colors dont match up with what I get. e.g. the red, pink, light green.

I wonder why Toyota didnt keep their wiring pinouts consistent over regions.

That chart is actually directly out of the JDM Vitz wiring diagrams. It looks like your car (which would be considered Asian market, rather than JDM) has different wiring from JDM.

I would inquire with your local Toyota dealer to see if they can print you a copy of the cluster wiring diagram.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:51 AM   #26
JudgeM

Quote:
That chart is actually directly out of the JDM Vitz wiring diagrams. It looks like your car (which would be considered Asian market, rather than JDM) has different wiring from JDM.

I would inquire with your local Toyota dealer to see if they can print you a copy of the cluster wiring diagram.
Thats really odd. My car was imported from Japan. I doubt the dealer can help me with a car thats not sold locally
Old 03-26-2014, 06:26 AM   #27
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thats really odd. My car was imported from Japan. I doubt the dealer can help me with a car thats not sold locally
Ah, I missed the fact that yours is a Vitz from Japan. In that case, the diagrams that I have should be correct for your car.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:37 AM   #28
JudgeM

Quote:
Ah, I missed the fact that yours is a Vitz from Japan. In that case, the diagrams that I have should be correct for your car.
Unfortunately they're not the same. I will do more probing and show you what I got for my car.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:37 PM   #29
bennyh253

Drives: Yaris 2007
does anyone have a dump file from the cluster with the mileage display? I have a few digital clusters to play with and wanted to see the difference in the eeprom my clusters all use 93c56 from yaris 2005 -2010.
bennyh253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:01 AM   #30
dj92
Embracing Curves

Drives: '14 Prius Executive
You could hook up a logic analyzer to see what is written to the EEPROM while the miles increase.
That'd be probably more interesting than a plain dump ;)
dj92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:29 AM   #31
bennyh253

I know how to change the odometer just wanted to see the difference between the uk/Japanese clusters with the temp/mileage display and my own to see if I could adjust the program to enable this option. Australian clusters don't have the fuel mileage/outside temp display, but look to have the hardware, with a dump I was hoping to rule out wether I could enable this option by programming the eeprom.

thanks
Old 04-10-2014, 06:54 AM   #32
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyh253 View Post
I know how to change the odometer just wanted to see the difference between the uk/Japanese clusters with the temp/mileage display and my own to see if I could adjust the program to enable this option. Australian clusters don't have the fuel mileage/outside temp display, but look to have the hardware, with a dump I was hoping to rule out wether I could enable this option by programming the eeprom.

thanks
I have worked with quite a few variants of clusters and the EEPROM only stores mileage related data. The enabling of features is done within the firmware of the microcontroller.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:59 AM   #33
bennyh253

ok, there wasn't much information on the eeprom compared with other clusters I have been playing with. Some of the GM clusters I have worked with you can turn on or off and adjust settings via eeprom file.
Thanks for your reply It will save me a lot of messing around
Old 07-26-2018, 05:18 AM   #34
irakli_86

Drives: Yaris MK2
Can anyone post a picture of which pin on the cluster connector does the ambient sensor wire plug into please ?
irakli_86 is offline   Reply With Quote