Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-17-2007, 03:09 AM   #1
Frozen Fire

Drives: Toyota Vitz 99
Need Help (Decrease in Performance)

I bought Toyota Yaris 99 seven months back. The intial probelm it had was with the timing belt which was replaced after 5 months. After its replacement its performance is decreasing day by day. I have a little know how of the car mechanics, which make the problem worst. My mechanic told me that its censors are weak, which will need replacement. I dont know what to do, either to sell it (which i dont want to) or start studying its mechanics. Please guide me
Frozen Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:48 AM   #2
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Could be the sensors, they will make that happen. I'd start there. If not the sensors, perhaps the catalytic converter is plugged; I had a Cavalier that acted the same way. Eventually, it would not move at all. Good luck!
Old 09-17-2007, 08:22 AM   #3
Ferret_san
Hack.... What hack ??

Drives: 07 YR
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisTom73 View Post
Could be the sensors, they will make that happen. I'd start there. If not the sensors, perhaps the catalytic converter is plugged; I had a Cavalier that acted the same way. Eventually, it would not move at all. Good luck!

Actually, your post YarisTom73 reminded me of a similar situation I had with an old 88 Camry. Issue was similar to that posted above, and I later found out that the previous owner run over something and damaged the catalytic converter. Basicaly it was hit that hard, that the elements inside the converter had broken up and were being pushed back through the exhaust. I did recall hearing a rattle in the exhaust at the time and was told that it was a loose baffle... yeah right... asshole dealers.

Over a few weeks, it was progressivly down on power, until it eventually blocked up the exhaust, refused to run more than a few feet before stalling, leaving me stranded on the side of the highway. (Ended up making the dealer pay for a 2.5 inch stainless steel sports exhaust + cat -converter. !)

Anyhow... your post just reminded me that my 'incident' was caused by an internal exhaust blockage.
Ferret_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:26 AM   #4
Frozen Fire

Drives: Toyota Vitz 99
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisTom73 View Post
How much both will cost?
Frozen Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:07 AM   #5
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Unsure, I don't sell Toyota parts. I'm just an enthusiast like you man. Good luck!