Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-26-2014, 01:30 PM   #91
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by 428CobraJet View Post
Has the Canadian market Yaris been identical to the US market car in the past?
No. See post #90 (I already knew this, but it had slipped my mind). A/C = not standard on the base model in Canada, but is in the United States.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:36 PM   #92
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Great find!

Revised clutch -

No hand crank windows -

Available in August -
Old 07-26-2014, 01:37 PM   #93
428CobraJet

Drives: '09 Yaris 3dr, 13 F150rcsb 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
No. See post #90 (I already knew this, but it had slipped my mind). A/C = not standard on the base model in Canada, but is in the United States.

So they'll get a 6 speed and we won't?
Old 07-26-2014, 01:42 PM   #94
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
CTScott , does any of the wording in the linked Car and Driver article give any indication to you whether or not your cruise control kit would work on a USDM 2015 Yaris L ?
Old 07-26-2014, 01:43 PM   #95
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
So they'll get a 6 speed and we won't?
????? Good question.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:43 PM   #96
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Looks like a nice upgrade in styling and features over the current Yaris incarnation in the USA. I wouldn't waste any time, however, pulling the ugly black/silver alloy wheels off that pictured SE, selling them, and buying some decent looking wheels in their place.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #97
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
Looks like a nice upgrade in styling and features over the current Yaris incarnation in the USA. I wouldn't waste any time, however, pulling the ugly black/silver alloy wheels off that pictured SE, selling them, and buying some decent looking wheels in their place.
Yeah, I don't like that shade re alloy wheels. If the past holds true, those would only be on the SE.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:39 PM   #98
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Great find!

Revised clutch -

No hand crank windows -

Available in August -

Bummer on the windows.
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:59 AM   #99
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post
Bummer on the windows.
Yep. One of the main reasons I crack the window open a bit is related to the airtight nature of the Yaris. With the windows closed, air doesn't circulate fast enough to suit me. One of the reasons I want that opening to be ever so slight is that I don't want a bee or wasp to fly inside my Yaris. Until a couple of months ago, the last time I got stung was when I was 13 and I was allergic and had to go to a hospital. A couple of months ago that 'drought/gap' ended when I was stung by a wasp in my backyard. Thank goodness my friend (who is a nurse) was over, so she administered professional treatment for my sting (an easy routine thing from her perspective). With power windows I could try leaving the passenger window open a bit (a bigger crack, as hand crank allows for more minute adjustments)...but at least I'd have a bit more space between me and the wasp or bee if one flew inside the car .
Old 07-27-2014, 11:01 AM   #100
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Pricing is more and more becoming a killer of sub-compacts. The Yaris will now be starting in the $15K range. That should not be the cheapest version you can buy on a tiny car. Most buyers go look at the window stickers in the Corolla and see it only a grand or two more to start and guess what, the Yaris doesn't stand a chance. Unless you are one of the few that really just prefer the smaller car/hatchback style. Most buyers want the most bang for the buck though.

If you compare the top Yaris (nearly $19K), and then realize you are getting close to a new Camry, then you realize why the Camry sold 40,000 units last month vs a few thousand Yaris's sold.

To make a Yaris really compelling, it should be able to be sold for say $13K to start in today's market. But unfortunately, Toyota economics doesn't support that possibility.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:19 PM   #101
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
^ ^^ ^

A 4-door Yaris LE automatic has a window of $17300. There is little profit in the car and no customer incentives... so you won't get much of a deal.

Here in Southern California with customer incentives, you can buy a Corolla L automatic for $16745, a Prius C one for $17745, and a Camry LE automatic for $18745.

No wonder the Yaris is a hard sell!

When I got my oil changed last week, I didn't see a new 2014 Yaris on the lot. A salesman said he hadn't seen one since he started over 2 months ago. But, there were 2 new 2013 4-door Yaris L automatics!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:28 PM   #102
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Pricing is more and more becoming a killer of sub-compacts. The Yaris will now be starting in the $15K range. That should not be the cheapest version you can buy on a tiny car. Most buyers go look at the window stickers in the Corolla and see it only a grand or two more to start and guess what, the Yaris doesn't stand a chance. Unless you are one of the few that really just prefer the smaller car/hatchback style. Most buyers want the most bang for the buck though.

If you compare the top Yaris (nearly $19K), and then realize you are getting close to a new Camry, then you realize why the Camry sold 40,000 units last month vs a few thousand Yaris's sold.

To make a Yaris really compelling, it should be able to be sold for say $13K to start in today's market. But unfortunately, Toyota economics doesn't support that possibility.
, but different people have a different definitions of 'bang for the buck'. My personal definition = what helps me generate the lowest possible overall operating cost (I'm just naturally frugal )....nothing to with vehicle size. Someone once said to me (when I had my Swift) "You can drive any car you want to, why do you drive that car ?". I replied "Why would I want to put more money than necessary into a depreciating asset". The person looked at me as if I was speaking a foreign language . I grew up with guys who looked at cars the size the Camry is now (and those even larger) as 'pig' cars driven by out of shape and obese people.....a largely re American Cars environment. I'm a hybrid of California and Texas stereotypes. I don't think people should drive cars that are any bigger than they need, nor live in houses any bigger than they need. However, I think this should be between the person and his/her own conscience and government should NOT be influencing either IN ANY WAY. My friends outside the U.S. are mostly European. We share similar views re consumption, however they think the government should have almost the heaviest hand possible in influencing consumption.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:50 PM   #103
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
^ ^^ ^

A 4-door Yaris LE automatic has a window of $17300. There is little profit in the car and no customer incentives... so you won't get much of a deal.

Here in Southern California with customer incentives, you can buy a Corolla L automatic for $16745, a Prius C one for $17745, and a Camry LE automatic for $18745.

No wonder the Yaris is a hard sell!

When I got my oil changed last week, I didn't see a new 2014 Yaris on the lot. A salesman said he hadn't seen one since he started over 2 months ago. But, there were 2 new 2013 4-door Yaris L automatics!
Unless motivated by medical issues, I guess I'll never understand the desire for cars with automatic transmissions. I used to live in Newport Beach, and I never felt the 'hand of rabid environmentalism' (which might affect a car buying decision) the way I did in the SF Bay Area. Attitudes would naturally have an effect on inventory.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:25 PM   #104
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
^ ^^ ^
When I was younger, I enjoyed driving a stick; the car performed better, I felt I was in control to some degree, and I possibly saved fuel when I wasn't driving like there was no tomorrow. This isn't the case today; automatics perform exceptionally well and very often use less fuel than a stick. I love the Yaris 4-speed automatic. I think its a brilliant piece of work! I have absolutely no desire to ever drive a stick again.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:36 PM   #105
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
^ ^^ ^
When I was younger, I enjoyed driving a stick; the car performed better, I felt I was in control to some degree, and I possibly saved fuel when I wasn't driving like there was no tomorrow. This isn't the case today; automatics perform exceptionally well and very often use less fuel than a stick. I love the Yaris 4-speed automatic. I think its a brilliant piece of work! I have absolutely no desire to ever drive a stick again.
one can go all over fuelly and fuel economy.gov and see that the reality is still that the sticks are doing better in the real worl.

in the case of the yaris, which doesn't even use a dual clutch "automatic", it is even more pronounced, with a vast majority of people getting 40+ mpg's are driving sticks.

cvt's are getting pretty efficient, but they suck more life out of driving that even the old automatics.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:41 PM   #106
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
^ ^^ ^
2 main reasons I prefer a stick (other than just liking the driving experience, and intentionally avoiding the MPG angle....which is almost like politics () in that rarely will anyone change anyone else's opinion):

1. I don't like the idea of not being able to push and compression start the car if it won't 'turn over'.

2. In my experience, a babied automatic won't last as long as a babied clutch and manual transmission (the clutch and tranny in my Yaris have lasted a bit over 100,000 miles past the longest I've been able to get an automatic transmission to last (in an Acura).
Old 07-27-2014, 03:42 PM   #107
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
cvt's are getting pretty efficient, but they suck more life out of driving that even the old automatics.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:19 PM   #108
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
There's still numerous CVT's on the market that have proved troublesome in reliability. No thanks. I hope automakers continue building traditional automatics. At least until CVT's become bullet proof. There are some that perform very well though, such as the one in the new Accord. Although it's reliability isn't proven for the long haul.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote