Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #73
stgillies
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris hatchback
Third time dealing with this same issue in my '07 Yaris hatch. First two times the nice guys at my garage fixed it from below--and it cost exactly $10 each time. Now that I have found this post I'll attempt the fix from the passenger footwell.

Anyone from Toyota reading this thread? If so, it would help if all readers would go ahead and add a "me too" message to let Toyota know how widespread this problem is. A recall would be in order--even if it's to add a cabin filter to unequipped vehicles.
stgillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:44 PM   #74
10Kyaris

Drives: 2009 toyota yaris base
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick1 View Post
1) Lift up the carpets on the front passenger side of the car.
2) Disconnect rubber hose (top right hand corner) from the airbox.
3) Unplug rubber plug in the bottom of the car (underneath the carpet) to allow water to drain
4) Stick a hanger or stiff piece of wire into the hole in the airbox (and shake it all about)

Only took a few minutes to do.

I have pictures if someone would like to see what the hose looks like (this site needs a file area?).

Much simpler than accessing it from underneath the car.

Much cheaper than the dealers who quoted about $300 to do it (said they needed to rip everything out).

The dealers also claimed they'd never seen this problem before.

The smell seems to be mold or something from the airbox/carpet... and starts to disappear after the car has dried out.

I'm really disappointed by the Toyota response. This is obviously a common problem which they should be able to diagnose on the spot.

The solution is probably to fit a larger hose and/or to provide easy access to clean the airbox.

This is a manufacturing issue... and Toyota should address it.

Thanks very much to those who posted information which helped to diagnose this problem.

:-)
i could use those pictures.. thanks
10Kyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #75
arizonabay
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
More info on this issue

I had the same problem explained here happen to me twice on my '07 3 door. The first time I brought it to the dealer for regular service they said it was common and they blew the drainage hose out with an air compressor. It was fine for about 8 months but then it happened again. I found the hose and cleared it myself and everything is ok again.

the dealer also suggested using Lysol to spray the carpet to prevent mildewing if it gets soaked. I pulled back all of the carpet and doused the floor mats and the area underneath the floorboard carpet with the lysol after drying (styrofoam looking stuff) and the smell went away rather quickly. This has been the only issue I have had with this car and considering how easy it is to fix I don't see it as a major deal. However, it would be nice if Toyota would acknowledge it and issue a recall.
arizonabay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #76
DoWhatisRightToyota
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Yaris '10
AC drain leak

Simply put, me too.

Leaking onto the floorboards, creating mold and headaches. Car has less than 7k miles on it, this is a complete design flaw and should be addressed as such by Toyota.

A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT may be the way to go. This problem has existed and persisted now on FOUR different years and models of the Yaris.

I have a friend with the same exact 2010 Yaris as mine, and had the exact problem about a month ago, only her AC got fried in the process. Her dealership installed some mesh grating up under the windshield cowel to block larger debris. My dealership only offered to unblock and clean the drain (full warranty), and charge me $40 for an air filter. I declined the slap in the face and will opt to do it myself after I pick it up this afternoon.

I am filing a complaint here: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml
And I am on board with anyone else who would like to join efforts to force Toyota to acknowledge their flaws in design, and own up to it. My family is a faithful Toyota family, however this incident could surely break that loyalty.

Do what is right, Toyota!!!
DoWhatisRightToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #77
NHYO
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris 2007
I have the same problem on my 07 Yaris.

Followed the instructions very helpfully given on this forum and pulled the carpet back on the front passenger side of the car to reveal a totally loose rubber hose and the exit hole on the bodywork exposed!

I am guessing the hose is not normally held in place by the carpet, so it didn't "come off" when I pulled the carpet back. Is the hose supposed to be held in place with a special clip or sealant, etc? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, when I called the local Toyota garage about the soaking set footwell, they wanted to charge £50 just to diagnose what is wrong!
NHYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #78
Ozziespur
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Yaris YR
It's obviously an international issue as we in Australia are experiencing the same problem. And yes Toyota here are towing the company line and saying it's not a manufacturing defect. Didn't even bother getting a quote from Toyota to fix it as I'll do it myself (this afternoon) when the wife gets home. Very disappointing Toyota as we are a Toyota family too and have been for a few cars (each) now ......
Ozziespur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #79
drodrey
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
yep definitely an international problem. I'm Australian and have an '07 Yaris. First had the problem about 6 months ago and my mechanic fixed it for about $50 from below. Now happening again, but the sound is much much louder than last time so I'm worried it's worse. I'm going to try and fix it in the morning.
drodrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #80
Babs2yz
I've made a post!

Drives: toyota yaris
I am having the same problem with my 08 Yaris. Is there a class action yet?
Babs2yz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:17 AM   #81
TMR3

Drives: Toyota Yaris YR 2006
Seems like it is also occuring with earlier models.
I have a 01/2006 model yaris and i currently have just started to notice the same problem.
Ive done everything suggested on the topic but nothing has currently worked.
anyone know how much it will cost to clean out the whole air con system in AUS?

UPDATE:
i had taken my yaris to my mechanic and he said he would go through everything to find the problem.
NOTE: i did clean out the small little tube on the right corner of the passenger side and still nothing has happened.
My mechanic rung me 3 hours later saying he found nothing wrong and didnt charge me for the labour. He was confused himself too - never seen such a thing.

anyone care to help me? Im on a tight budget and would really love to know how to get this mouldy smell and a wet carpet out of my car.

TMR3

Last edited by TMR3; 06-19-2012 at 03:29 AM.
TMR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #82
canisestinvia
I've made a post!

Drives: white yaris
Just wanted to say thanks to this thread and forum for providing me the fix for this issue. I think maybe 3 pints came pouring out of the hose after I wriggled it some.
canisestinvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #83
pandadiana
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2008
Hi I have the same problem. I have a 2008 Toyota Yaris. My AC has completely stopped working at this point. How do I go about adding myself to the complaint list. Toyota needs to do a recall on this and replace our ACs ...this isn't fair.
pandadiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #84
niktracey
I've made a post!

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris
We have a 2008 Yaris and were having the same issues as have been described, noise during a left turn, leakage onto the carpet and mat. My husband pulled back the carpet and found the hose but until he inserted a wire to clear it out, nothing would drain. After the wire pulled out debris, we drained about a gallon of water. So far, so good. The noise stopped immediately as did the leaking. We just have a wet, stinky carpet to deal with at this point. Thanks to this forum, and the users, for the help!!
niktracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #85
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by niktracey View Post
We have a 2008 Yaris and were having the same issues as have been described, noise during a left turn, leakage onto the carpet and mat. My husband pulled back the carpet and found the hose but until he inserted a wire to clear it out, nothing would drain. After the wire pulled out debris, we drained about a gallon of water. So far, so good. The noise stopped immediately as did the leaking. We just have a wet, stinky carpet to deal with at this point. Thanks to this forum, and the users, for the help!!
Just make sure you install a cabin air filter (in the slot behind the passenger glove box) to prevent it from recurring.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #86
sirlark
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris T3
Me Too

South African Yaris T3 owner here. For me though, the difference is that water is not leaking in through the grommet, but from somewhere up behind the upper passenger glovebox. I've tried having a friend run the hose pipe over the windscreen, but that doesn't cause water to come through, and I checked that the water is being funnelled out to the underside of the car, which it is. I peeled back the carpeting and found the gromet which was still in place while this was happening.

BUT, just make certain I'm getting things right... I have a right-hand drive vehicle. My passenger well is on the left side, and the grommet I examined was also on the left side of the well, i.e. the outer side? I couldn't see it very well, and it felt more like electric cable going through than piping... I think I might have the wrong side of the well...
sirlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:48 PM   #87
Joker4274
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris
Having the same issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenaz View Post
I do have the same issue with my 07 Yaris I took for the car to Northridge Toyota ;The third time for the issue describe above on June 5th 2009 They want to charge me because my car is over 52,000, my warranty is up and they told me it would be charge to diagnostic the same issue on the car has been repaired under the warranty twice.I declined,and
I escalated to Toyota Motors They get in the same position as the dealers saying the following : The dealership determined that the failure was not a factory defect rather it is a customer related problem. Mr XX is leaving his car in a unprotected area. The drain hoses for the a/c on his Yaris are being plugged by foriegn debris causing the water to back up in the evaporator and is causing the leak into his vehicle. He was told on both occassions that this is not a warrantable issue outside influences are not covered by Toyota. On his two previous appointments the debris was cleaned out of his vehicle as a Goodwill gesture from Northridge Toyota and the Factory. He has complained to Toyota Motor Sales and Toyota has turned him down for any Warranty assistance. Mr XX Yaris is now out of the Factory Warranty. Knowing that I went to different Dealership : Thanks to service Advisor and his mechanic explained me the issue why it get debris inside the a/c box I understood clearly is a manufacturer issue because if you put anything in your glove compartment when you have the A/C button in circulation mode the A/C Box sucks air inside of the box causing with the time the drain plug be clogged and the fluid will leak inside the passenger side under the carpet.In order the A/C drain plug don't get clogged you can't put anything inside the glove compartment.
This is Lemon issue affecting most of the Toyota Yaris Hatchback 07-up
If you guys get the same issue as my self hit me up for legal referal against Toyota Motors.
Regards
Tenaz
Pd: I'll keep you update.
Tenaz I can relate to the same issue as you, I just recent had the same issue with my wife's 2008 Yaris. I got it unclogged but in the progress of getting it taken care of I think it has messed up the blower motor or transistor one as well. It dosen't drain in the floorboard on the passenger side anymore, but now when you turn it on high the blower blows for a few minutes and then dosen't blow at all. I will appreciate any legal information you can give me on this if there is a ongoing action going on against it.
Joker4274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #88
VICKY_K
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris 2010-4D-hatchback
Me too

I am having exactly same problem - this is the 2nd time it happened -
first time we had big rain for days and I started noticing the noise when turning, water in the passenger side, etc .. all the same...(when the AC was on) -- reading info I found about cleaning the A/C draining hose( that should drain to the street under the car) --I did the cleaning and got lot of water out..
--problem stopped for 3 months. More rain and...same thing again..
I did the cleaning - got water out - but I noticed that still is leaking when the AC is running - by the way I empty the glove compartment since the first time happend.. I read it in a forum.
Just this morning I took it to Toyota (with warranty) and the guy told me they know exactly what is the problem but toyota does not have a recall for this problem. After waiting 1 hr, he came back saying it will take longer than expected, because they need to dry all the carpets, etc .. and they gave me a rental car while they work on mine! Toyota pays for the rental, but no for insurance.
I am/was a Toyota buyer !!!! but this is Huge let down - disappointment - they know this a known problem and they should make a recall and fix all Yaris!!!
I will appreciate any information on this if there is a ongoing action going on against toyota.
THANKS - I will write about my "fix" and will try to get information on what exactly they replaced.
VICKY_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #89
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by VICKY_K View Post
I am having exactly same problem - this is the 2nd time it happened -
first time we had big rain for days and I started noticing the noise when turning, water in the passenger side, etc .. all the same...(when the AC was on) -- reading info I found about cleaning the A/C draining hose( that should drain to the street under the car) --I did the cleaning and got lot of water out..
--problem stopped for 3 months. More rain and...same thing again..
I did the cleaning - got water out - but I noticed that still is leaking when the AC is running - by the way I empty the glove compartment since the first time happend.. I read it in a forum.
Just this morning I took it to Toyota (with warranty) and the guy told me they know exactly what is the problem but toyota does not have a recall for this problem. After waiting 1 hr, he came back saying it will take longer than expected, because they need to dry all the carpets, etc .. and they gave me a rental car while they work on mine! Toyota pays for the rental, but no for insurance.
I am/was a Toyota buyer !!!! but this is Huge let down - disappointment - they know this a known problem and they should make a recall and fix all Yaris!!!
I will appreciate any information on this if there is a ongoing action going on against toyota.
THANKS - I will write about my "fix" and will try to get information on what exactly they replaced.
Did you or they install a "cabin air filter" in the slot behind the glove box? If not, then it will just keep occurring, as that filter is key to prevent airborne debris from entering and plugging up the airbox.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #90
Scooterpoot
I've made a post!

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3 Door
Just finished addressing this issue myself. It looks like the drain was plugged at the air box where the rubber drain tube attaches. After sticking a heavy wire into the drain opening an amount of water and gunk poured out. I used a plastic bottle with tubing attached and filled with water to flush the bottom of the air box. Just put the end of the tube into the drain opening and squeeze. More gunk that looked like mold poured out. After flushing several times I finished with with a solution of bleach and water. If you do something like this make sure you pull the carpet back and use a towel to catch the water that drains out. I'll install a cabin air filter tomorrow and hopefully that will be the end of it.

Props to everyone on this forum who has provided solutions and insight to this issue as well as many others .
Scooterpoot is offline   Reply With Quote