Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 12:01 PM   #19
lita_g

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
It must be the Yaris Blind Zealous Loyalty forum (I failed to notice that sign, too)...

Hey, it's a great little car, guys, and the best of the lot, but it's not perfect. Should be okay to post the good along with the bad, esp. if it could help someone else avoid the same dumb mistake and thus love Yaris even more.

+1.

I've read of several other guys on the forum that have set it on 3rd too, I don't understand how anyone would not notice, BUT it's no reason to crucify someone over it. Hopefully otterthere will end up loving the yaris like we all do, or if not, she'll find something else to love.

Last edited by lita_g; 12-12-2008 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:04 PM   #20
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
did this ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckevalastin View Post
well I know I have certainly accidentally popped it into 3rd at least once or twice and didn't notice it for a second.... it may not be a yaris whine forum but its also not a yaris flame every other user forum either....
when we 1st testdrove an '08 sedan . This could be a danger when traveling at fairly fast speeds or down hills on snow , ice , or rain soaked roads . I would think VEHICLE STABILITY CONTROL could help correct the situation .
Old 12-12-2008, 12:14 PM   #21
otterhere

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3-door Meteorite
"Also, as you decellerate, if you pop the gear shift over into 3 when the rpms hit 1100, you will maintain this effect for a longer period - right up to the point where you HAVE to put the brakes on to actually stop."

How do you know when your rpms hit 1100; is this yet another signal I'm not seeing?

I am familiar with the practice of putting the car in "N" while at stop lights to prevent its "pulling" on the engine and thus saving gas, but the 3rd gear thing is new to me... Aren't you afraid you're going to wear out the stickshift with all that manipulating???

But it's worth a try; 41 mpg would make up for a multitude of sins.

Honestly, after I noticed the "R" BLINKING at me when in reverse (why does it have to blink???), I think I got in the habit of just ignorning that particular area... I also now ignore the "passenger air bag on" light (why does it have to be on???). Hey, even my passengers remarked on all the lights/bells going on and off in this car (seat belt, etc.).
Old 12-12-2008, 12:22 PM   #22
4MPG

Drives: black 5spd hatch yaris
I can't believe someone is comparing the build quality and design of a Suzuki swift to a yaris, at least not unless your laughing at how terrible the swift is. Its a SUZUKI pete's sake.

And stability control? What do you need stability control for on a 2300 pound econobox for? You can pick up a yaris in the $11,500-$15000 range for a reason. Not to mention that I have yet to ride in a car with "stability control" that would actually help out on snow/ice etc.... its built to prevent you from over driving the car around a corner in a performance situation. The thing to do with a yaris is avoid anything to do with "performance situations" in the first place... its an econobox.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:34 PM   #23
Mikeb Yaris

Drives: 08 Sedan Base Auto/PWR BLK
Quote:
"Also, as you decellerate, if you pop the gear shift over into 3 when the rpms hit 1100, you will maintain this effect for a longer period - right up to the point where you HAVE to put the brakes on to actually stop."

How do you know when your rpms hit 1100; is this yet another signal I'm not seeing?

I am familiar with the practice of putting the car in "N" while at stop lights to prevent its "pulling" on the engine and thus saving gas, but the 3rd gear thing is new to me... Aren't you afraid you're going to wear out the stickshift with all that manipulating???
My car (I think all sedans are) is equipped with a tachometer. Without a tach, you should be able to feel the car start to coast more freely when the gas kicks in. I'll do an experiment on the way home to see at about what speed this happens. Anyway, if you do not have a tachometer (that would be the dial to the left of the speedometer), just feel for the point when the engine isn't braking you anymore and then pop in down into 3.

I'm not at all afraid of wearing out the shifter. Think about it this way - I'm shifting 2/3 less than someone with a manual transmission. No chance I'm gonna wear this thing out!
Old 12-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #24
texkid
The one with cheese on it

Drives: '10 Corolla S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupacabra View Post
Just goes to show you that it "is" important to read the owner's manual.
Damn, you beat me to it.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:27 PM   #25
tuckevalastin

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb Yaris View Post
My car (I think all sedans are) is equipped with a tachometer. Without a tach, you should be able to feel the car start to coast more freely when the gas kicks in. I'll do an experiment on the way home to see at about what speed this happens. Anyway, if you do not have a tachometer (that would be the dial to the left of the speedometer), just feel for the point when the engine isn't braking you anymore and then pop in down into 3.

I'm not at all afraid of wearing out the shifter. Think about it this way - I'm shifting 2/3 less than someone with a manual transmission. No chance I'm gonna wear this thing out!

Not all sedans have a tach.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:27 PM   #26
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
How many miles did you drive in "3" before you found out? Anyway freeway time during that boo-boo?
Old 12-12-2008, 01:34 PM   #27
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
I did the same thing the day I picked up the car at the dealer. On the way home on the freeway, I'm thinking... This thing is revving way too high all the time. Not until the next day, did I notice the little "3" on the instrument cluster and noticed the D on the shift assembly. Doh!!!

I'm an engineer. We don't read no stinking owners manuals.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:34 PM   #28
otterhere

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3-door Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
How many miles did you drive in "3" before you found out? Anyway freeway time during that boo-boo?
Oh, quite a few... I'd estimate about four round-trips of 100 or more miles on the interestate at around 70 mph each... Poor engine...

Old 12-12-2008, 01:35 PM   #29
landrym28
3,300+ at one point.. >:(

Drives: 2010 Hatchback RS
Send a message via MSN to landrym28
When I first took the car for a test drive, I paid attention to all the little gadget and lights, just to see how it all works and what needs to be done or not done for lights on the display to show.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:38 PM   #30
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb Yaris View Post

She drives a LB, and has no tach. I don't have one, until I either install one
or get a ScanguageII. I would be interested in knowing what the RPMs are
at different speeds. I know that I saw somewhere about what speeds to
shift at, but not what the RPMs are at those speeds. I have the 5 speed
and she has the automatic transmission.

Also, how does your car handle in snow with max tire pressure?
Old 12-12-2008, 01:50 PM   #31
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
Quote:
Honestly, after I noticed the "R" BLINKING at me when in reverse (why does it have to blink???), I think I got in the habit of just ignorning that particular area... I also now ignore the "passenger air bag on" light (why does it have to be on???). Hey, even my passengers remarked on all the lights/bells going on and off in this car (seat belt, etc.).
LoL, this has to be a joke or something, right? I can't believe how critical you are of this poor little Yaris. God, stop picking on it, Yarii have feelings too you know.

...T-REX ATTACK!!!...
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2008, 02:03 PM   #32
landrym28
3,300+ at one point.. >:(

Drives: 2010 Hatchback RS
Send a message via MSN to landrym28
Your "R" blinks? Mine doesn't.

I thought all those things you're referring to about bells and lights are standard on all cars, aren't they?
Old 12-12-2008, 02:07 PM   #33
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Honestly, after I noticed the "R" BLINKING at me when in reverse (why does it have to blink???)
This from the person who didn't realize she's been driving around in third gear for weeks now?!?

Your owners manual clearly explains how to drive an automatic, and if you didn't read it--especially since you seem to be less familiar with cars than most of us--then no other word besides ignorant better describes what you did.

You've been complaining about this car, but in reality the car should be complaining about you!

Some days I honestly wonder how some people make it through life...
Old 12-12-2008, 02:35 PM   #34
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Attached Images

Old 12-12-2008, 02:42 PM   #35
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Good point. Also, if you're in reverse, how is it that you are looking foward? When I go into reverse, I automatically turn around... to see where I am going...
Old 12-12-2008, 02:47 PM   #36
lita_g

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodium Duck View Post
Good point. Also, if you're in reverse, how is it that you are looking foward? When I go into reverse, I automatically turn around... to see where I am going...
Actually I do look at the panel first, I then turn around and then start moving.
Closed Thread