Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-18-2023, 09:37 AM   #1
lasherza

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1.3
Yaris - 2010 - 2NZ

Hi Guys,

At the end of my tether!. We have a Yaris only around 120k kilometers on the clock. South Africa so in Km's .

We had a head gasket blow around 5 years ago, apparently water pump broke and like no warning head gasket was gone. So head was skimmed and engine sorted out. Sorry not very technical.... but the car did come back " working"..

What was noticeable for around 2 years or so, was a foul odor like rotten egg smell in the cabin every now and again AND fuel economy was WAY DOWN!

Took it back to the mechanic countless times ..Could not find the issue. Finally on close inspection we saw that on connecting the engine back he FORGOT to connect the Oxygen Sensor at the back!!!!

Anyways smell was sorted but fuel economy has remained crap!. Also there is no very noticeable blue/greyish smoke in the mornings!. Oil consumption not bad i suppose ..but fuel consumption is bad.

Cleaned the PCV valve recently...no help...but it was really fouled up. Not sure which way to go now! . The car is still relatively new . to note though long distance journeys a bit better. Attached a still pic of the smoking as could not upload a clip.

thank to everyone who replies!!!
lasherza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 09:39 AM   #2
lasherza

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1.3
I mean to say NOW there is a noticeable White/Grey/ blueish smoke pall in the morning ..
lasherza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 10:06 AM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Very unusual for these cars to have a head gasket issue. In my experience that could only be from extreme abuse. I hate to say it, but this car is probably not worth the trouble.
Old 04-18-2023, 01:05 PM   #4
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
swap out the whole engine..your likely on an uphill battle with it and the headgasket did more than just the headgasket ie cooked the rings, glazed the cyl's. cooked the valve guides and seals....basicly just becuase the head gasket was done...doesnt fix everything else that went with it/because of it

ive seen this kind of thing before with hondas...and the owner assumes it just needs a head gasket, thing is its rare to have a head gasket go and not need to rebuild the ENTIRE head, more often than not its possible to get warping on the block as well....and then of course youve got the excessive heat on all of the sensors, coolant/oil mix that gets into EVERYTHING and is neerly impossible to clean it all out without replacements
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel economy, head unit, overhaul, smoking