Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-16-2010, 07:51 PM   #1
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Angry Parking Lot Scrape

Long time YW lurker, and this is not way I wanted my first post to go...

Anyways...

So yesterday, I'm about to go out with the wife when she says, "Hey, what's that?" as she's about to get into the car.

I go around to see what's she's talking about, and see that someone thought that my back quarter panel would make an excellent door stop for their vehicle that Friday at work. Needless to say, I was livid. (This is the second time that an unknown fellow soldier has messed up one of my cars in a parking lot and just drove off... )

The top part of the scrape I'm sure will buff out, but the main damage is though the clear coat and paint down to bare metal...

So, now I have a 6 month old car with a pretty decent scrape on it and I just want to know the best route to get this fixed...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ding.jpg (61.0 KB, 202 views)
jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:56 PM   #2
bankrobber

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Well I am not a body and fender guy but, it looks as the scrape has someones paint on it rather than metal. Take some 1,000 grit sand paper and try "wet sanding" the scrape
Does the scrape feel like a bump or an indent when you run your finger over it.
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
I doesn't look that serious.

I would just use some mild rubbing compoud or Meguiar's "Scratch X"
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
jpmck03

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankrobber View Post
Well I am not a body and fender guy but, it looks as the scrape has someones paint on it rather than metal. Take some 1,000 grit sand paper and try "wet sanding" the scrape
Does the scrape feel like a bump or an indent when you run your finger over it.
Thanks for the quick reply, bankrobber.
If you look at it from a severe angle (along the body), you can see a very slight "crease" that you can tell is from the edge the other driver's door, which runs from the the top circled scratch to the top circled bigger scrape.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:22 PM   #5
bankrobber

try getting the other paint off the scrape. If your lucky it will buff out and the crease wont be noticed much. My Yaris was also hit by another car that was backing out of the parking spot. I cant stand people that hit their doors on other cars. I have had people ding my car even with me sitting inside
Old 05-16-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
jpmck03

I feel like a dumbass... it was totally some dark gray paint that looked remarkably close to the body of a car...

Chock it up to new car owner panic and love of my little go-cart.

Thanks bankrobber and RedRide.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:38 PM   #7
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Now you can find who hit your car! Match the paint!!!
Old 05-16-2010, 10:13 PM   #8
jpmck03

Guess I'll have to do some hunting tomorrow morning.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:23 PM   #9
goku87

Drives: Black HB
Looks like it can buff out. You'd be surprised how easily a lot of scratches and scuffs buff out. I wouldn't recommend sanding it. Honestly, if you go to a places and get a "quote" for how much it would cost to fix, when they see it they will probably be like "hold on while we buff that for free."

It's happened to me twice!
goku87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:28 PM   #10
bankrobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku87 View Post
Looks like it can buff out. You'd be surprised how easily a lot of scratches and scuffs buff out. I wouldn't recommend sanding it. Honestly, if you go to a places and get a "quote" for how much it would cost to fix, when they see it they will probably be like "hold on while we buff that for free."

It's happened to me twice!
Not trying to be rude but, have you ever tried wetsanding.before?
Old 05-20-2010, 10:41 AM   #11
matanfr
diaper change in a yaris

Drives: 2009 multimode hatchback 5dr
it's always a pain to see a dent in your yaris.for the scratch above the coin i think it's best to go to a dealer and gently fix it with a gentle brush or an earstick,let it dry for 24 hours and gently smooth it with a sandpaper.afterwards-apply wax.i think gs27 or other sort of scratch-removers won't do the trick here.the same with the chip near the dime.
my car was dented near the gas tank by a renault megane driver who didn't give a #### about his french car (that is crappy anyway).whenever i see a dent i go to the dealership near me and ask the manager of the paint department to mix me some paint and pass it with a gentle brush.they do it for free.afterwards i apply wax and keep an eye for any rust or corrosion.i don't put a "paint sealant" (i don't know how the stuff is called..toyota puts on the dried new painted cars on the factory to "glaze" and make it shine and protect the paintjob) since the paint isn't smooth enought and a paintjob on every dent is expensive here.
it's a piss-but the best thing you can do is go to the dealership and ask for some paint and brush.here in israel you see a lot of dented cars.

Last edited by matanfr; 05-20-2010 at 10:43 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes.
matanfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:12 PM   #12
Lucas13

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmck03 View Post
Guess I'll have to do some hunting tomorrow morning.
Gently wet sand with 2000 grit sand paper until you see the scratch and the paint left from the other car it’s gone, then my advice for best results is polish with 3M Scratch remover and that will to the job.

Here a link of the 3M product

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Scratch-Rem.../dp/B00196GYM2
Lucas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #13
Sandwash

Drives: 2009 Yaris w/man.trans.
Would protective body-side moldings have helped? Recently saw a new yaris with side moldings on dealer lot - they look pretty good - that is, matched well and didn't overly clutter the side as so many moldings do.
Anyone have these moldings? What do you think?
Sandwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:21 PM   #14
Vang

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
had similiar thing happen to my yaris and used meguiars scratch x with good results
Vang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:49 PM   #15
jpmck03

After reading some random threads in the "Wash, Wax, Detailing" room, I decided to try some WD-40 just to see if I could get my little "modification" cleaner and see how bad the damage is...

After a little soak with the WD-40 and a quick wipe down after, the top scratch is pretty much gone and the bottom one is looking a little bit better. I don't want to go crazy with just WD-40 and a rag, so we'll have to see if I can do a little bit better once I get some more appropriate supplies... Maybe that one free coat of paint protection that the dealer that my dealer got it from was a godsend.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:41 AM   #16
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Much as i hate seeing my car get dings and scratches it would be unrealistic in this world of so many ignorant people to expect not to get the occasional scratch or ding over the life of the car so its pointless to get too worked up about it on a Yaris,perhaps a Corvette or Ferrari might be worthy of getting more stressed over the issue
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:33 PM   #17
Lucas13

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
I always park far from everybody on the last spot and leaving a good distance from the other parking space, but sometimes there is an idiot that parks so close to my car that the divsion line of the parking spot is under his/her car, Men that makes me angry Iv'e been lucky and had only few dents, I used the "pops a dent" and it looks much more better than it was, Im going to have a friend that works for dent wizard to fix it for me any time soon.
Lucas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #18
jpmck03

jambo101, I hear what you are saying, it's just that my Yaris is the first new car that I've owned, and I hate to see it banged up.

Of particular note, it's a real bummer when you know it was hit by someone that parked in a tow away zone in front of a fire hydrant, particularly when you park there so you have an empty spot where you won't get dinged. But, what can you do though?

I'm just am glad that the folks here at YW are helpful.