Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
Schutzhund3

Drives: 2011 Toyota Yaris 5-door
not so good of an experience

Just wanted to share today's experience at my local Toyota dealership. I went in for my 5000 mile oil change and tire rotation. Where i observed the following:
1, the tech changing the oil had a cell phone plastered to his ear.
2, a second tech rotated my tires and re installed the wheel lugs with his impact gun. Not even a torque stick was used.
3, Once the oil and filter was installed the tech started the car and drove it out of the shop.
The service greeter came up and said "your car is all set"
I asked about the wheel torque to which he responded that those "steel wheels" do not need torqued. I said that I disagree and said we can review the manual. He stated let me get you the service manager.
I explained myself to the service manager and he said that the tech used a torque stick I told the service manager that he did not as I know what a torque stick looks like. I also told him that it was unacceptable to have a tech being distracted on his cell phone while he was being paid to service and inspect my car.
The repair order also said that the techs inspected my tire tread depths and brake linings. I told the service manager that the tech did not perform any of this. The service advisor said he was sorry and would speak to the Tech.

Now after driving home I thought;
1, My wheel studs may be stretched as the gun was set on high.
2, Two Toyota service people choose to lie to me without thinking.
3, I need to reinspect that the filter and drain plug were installed properly.

It is cold, late and snowy up here, i guess I'll check this all for myself tomorrow.

What a disappointment...

Tom......
Schutzhund3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
Killchain

Drives: '10 Yaris LB Polar White
I got your back bro,.............my local Toyota Dealership oil change tech..forgot to put my oil filler cap back on and smelled burning oil I looked under the hood and found the cap wedged between frame and radiator. This was at 10k oil change.

This time around at 15k I told service adviser I wanted post inspection check before leaving the service area. He was really helpful and I gave him high marks for post service survey. I believe Toyota Dealers really don't like the 2 year free service. Because Toyota forces set price for oil changes and tire rotation.

Oil service techs when hired don't require any trained or certified people for the oil change. Its OJT with different cars, hence cheaper labor.
Killchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
andruboz
boohachimono

Drives: 07 hb
Send a message via AIM to andruboz
i got similar treatment from discount tire. they used a torque stick for 85lbs. or maybe 80 and the manual says 76. the supervisor told tech 'a' to check all tires for pressure but then he told tech 'b' to take over and tech 'b' sent me out the door with 24 lbs in 2 tires cause tech 'a' didn't pass on the instructions..

on other occasions I've gotten the story '13" steel wheels don't need to be balanced.' [but i frkn paid for balance?!?] and gotten external clamp on wheel weights when i asked for internal stick ons.

i know jiffy lube just got popped in california for scam work but i trust my neighbor hood jiffy to do an oil change. [and i always watch the work being done] i'll rotate my own tires though...
andruboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
DIY is the only way to go.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:08 PM   #5
Schutzhund3

diy

I agree about the diy. But thought I would try since it is cold up here and my age is beginning to sometimes get the best of me. These young techs may not understand the consequences of cutting corners will create come backs. The dishonesty really is the most disturbing.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:32 PM   #6
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
What the heck is a torque stick ?
I have torque WRENCHES......

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:16 PM   #7
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Know how you feel . A few days after having a head cylinder gasket replaced under warranty on the '08 sedan I found the oil filter leaking oil . It was loose enough to spin off by hand . The trip home from the dealer was over 75 miles , so luckily it didn't leak all that much ( checked dipstick ) . The air filter was covered with grime as if it had been sat or throw on a dirty work bench or tossed on the floor during the work . This is the upper side of the air filter ( towards engine ) , not where dirt is wanted . That was a brand new air filter that we purchased and I had installed a few months before the repair . Told the service manager and owner of the loose oil filter and filthy air filter . Not much of a response . Just sorry and no offering of a new air filter . Did oil / filter change next day . Picked up a new air filter and installed that .
Attached Images

Last edited by Hershey; 12-09-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:32 AM   #8
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Then found all this excess TOYOTA black form in place gasket sealant all over the engine . Makes you wonder how much was inside . Have the oil filter from not long after the repair . Plan to open it up one of these days to see how much may have collected inside .We were given the PLATINUM warranty for free in case something should occur after the head cylinder gasket replacement . Hopefully that'll never happen . Before and after pics .
Attached Images

Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:24 AM   #9
Schutzhund3

Torque Stix

Torque sticks are a tool used to control torquing with an impact gun. Sometimes used in production, I usually see them used in tire shops. They are designed to twist like a torsion beam once they reach their specified maximum load. I am personally cautious about their use as they are only as good as the gun they are attached to. Low air pressure, low battery voltage or a worn gun will give you an under torque situation. I use them in my shop where my tire men are installing bus wheels and need to acquire 450 ft/lbs of torque on 10 lug nuts per wheel. But I still have them spot inspect with a torque wrench for quality control.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #10
thepartsmancometh

Drives: '08 LB, '07 WRX
in our shop, (I am in parts, not service) I have seen these actions. Usually they are corrected by the service manager.

the techs have a bad attitude towards waiter oil changes everywhere Ive worked. It interrupts them from making any money. Here, an oil change pays the tech 3/10s. That means that by the time they get the car, drive it in, rack it, pick it up, etc.....they have already used their 3/10s of an hour of time and the rest is free work they don't get paid for.

If you ask a tech, they will say they are being paid for 3/10's of an hour of work and that's all you get. Flat rate techs don't do much extra because they don't get paid for it.

I'm not saying this is a good attitude (its not!) but I just thought I'd throw the other guy's perspective out there.

FWIW, I do my own oil changes on both my cars when I can (and when I can't there are 2-3 guys that I know and trust that can work on my car after hours).
thepartsmancometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #11
Z00KA

Drives: 2007 Manual Bayou Blue LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
DIY is the only way to go.
Amen to the above....
Old 12-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #12
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Well your SOL on the cell phone thing.

Here in NJ there are laws against talking on a hand held cell phone while driving. Some days every other car driver is yaking on their cell because the cops dont enforce the law. And you just KNOW some of them are texting too...

Cell phones...the new normal!

Cell phones...a substitute for sucking your thumb!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #13
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
It's true, DIY is the way to go with oil changes. You don't need any mechanical talents to change the oil. All you need to for someone to show you only once how to do it, and you'll be good to go forever. I like changing my own oil, because I know exactly what type and how much new oil is put in the engine, and I know that everything is tightened the way it is supposed to. I would never use the dealership to do anything on my car. Find a good independent mechanic by asking your friends and family for referrals.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:42 AM   #14
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
I use a local mechanic that I have known for a decade or so to do everything. But here we've never had a problem with Jiffy lube for oil changes. Wouldn't let them do anything real, but for the light stuff they do fine.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:23 AM   #15
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Consider yourself lucky you didnt see the machanics following the recommented proceedure and using a torque wrench to tighten the oil filter to 24 ft lbs.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #16
Mead

Drives: BSP Yaris LB 2007
Did someone say Jiffy Lube? DON'T GO THERE!!! they are runned by crooks and seem to hire only latin criminals

http://youtu.be/MsLKNdebB6Q

True story: After an JL oil change, my brother goes home, there's a voice message from JL: please return to the shop immediately!!! When asked why, they reluctantly admitted they still have the oil cap. My bro said you come here because I'm not starting the engine, you know where I live, follow the oil trail.
Mead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #17
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
I learned a few years ago that the people they hire to change motor oil are not your MIT type of intellectuals. They are the bottom feeders of society and they usually cut corners and forget...or just don't...do what is correct when changing oil.

For that reason, I do it myself. I just got under my Yaris in 39 degree weather and did an oil change. It took me 39 minutes...and that was because the oil wasn't really hot enough and took a long time to drain.

Do it yourself. Nobody cares about your car more than you do. Its is so easy to do and takes such little skill. Plus, you save the money that you pay for some idiot to do it incorrectly.

And finally, Toyota service is a ripoff. Unless your car is under warranty, stay away. They charge you top of the line oil and give you bulk junk. My wife's van has the Toyota care where they change the oil. I bought it for the 10K oil change and they used Valvoline oil. The car uses 0w20 but Valvoline doesn't have that weight....unless they have started and I am not aware of.

Dealers are in existence to separate you from your money. Minimize your exposure to them and maximize your savings!

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #18
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
@Daf62757
So true! It doesn't take any special skills to change the oil. Heck, I know almost nothing about fixing cars, but I know how to change the oil. And it is so incredibly easy to do on the Yaris, because everything's in the front. You don't need to be a mechanic to do oil changes, so these Jiffy Lube type places pretty much just hire anyone who breathes. I'm so scared of using them to the point that even though I've gotten coupons for free oil changes in the past, I've never used any of them. The only person who changes my car's oil is me. By the way, you mentioned that it was so cold that the oil took a long time to drain. This is easy to solve. Just drive your car for a couple of miles, then immediately change the oil as soon as you get home. This is what I do when I change my oil in the winter (or even the summer), and the oil will be flowing out in no time.

Everyone reading this thread should watch the link posted by Mead. I watched it, and it's definitely worth your time!
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote