Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-13-2009, 02:08 AM   #19
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Sorry to hear that, Jason. But cop cars have built in radars, I think. Some people I know got slammed with a ticket at CSUS because the cop car picked their speeding up with their 360 degree radar (from what others told him).

Also, they're going to tell you that speeding is speeding, no matter if you're doing 1 mph over or 100 mph over. Some cops don't care, and others do.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:29 AM   #20
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Sorry to hear that, Jason. But cop cars have built in radars, I think. Some people I know got slammed with a ticket at CSUS because the cop car picked their speeding up with their 360 degree radar (from what others told him).

Also, they're going to tell you that speeding is speeding, no matter if you're doing 1 mph over or 100 mph over. Some cops don't care, and others do.
On the ticket where it said if there was radar it showed non and the speed listed was approx 56.

Either way i think the best thing is to just take traffic school once the ticket comes in the mail. I am just hoping the fine isnt too high. I heard the fine is lower the smaller amount you are over the limit and increases incremental depending on how fast your going so mine should be the lowest possible fine i would hope.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:57 AM   #21
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompanyXPaladin View Post
My last speeding ticket was for 55 in a 45 at 1AM on a Monday - I was the only car on the road and the cop was bored. I was going maybe 48, the cop was headed in the opposite direction and turned around as soon as he saw me before proceeding to pull me over for "50 in a 45." I asked if I could see the radar, he said he didn't have it "locked in," so the radar wouldn't show anything. Which was "Fine, because he wasn't required to have it locked in." He wrote me up for 55 in a 45, so I took it to court and ended up with the ticket anyway. IMHO cops can pretty much say whatever they want and get away with it - at least in California.

You live in a quasi-communist state. What could you possibly expect to be different?

On that note, rest assured, that sort of ticket would be thrown out in short order around here.

And oh.

Don't ever, I repeat, EVER tell a judge "my opinion is"... You will only unleash his wrath on yourself...
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:57 AM   #22
bobselectric
Kickin' Yaris

Drives: 07 Yaris liftback
I think you just won the law enforcement lottery.

Best thing to do is plead not guilty, and at the "pre-trial" conference arrange a plea. Usually with speeding though, they'll just lower the "amount over", i.e. if you were ticketed for 10-15 mph over the limit, you might get reduced to 1-10, which is a lower fine.

Pulling someone over also has a psychological effect on the other drivers... more like "I'd better slow down, they're giving out summons"
bobselectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:31 AM   #23
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

In my opinion, everybody who's got an opinion that the existing speed limits aren't reasonable should express that opinion to their legislators. State, city, and Federal, depending on the roads in question. I think some of them are way too slow, but I obey 'em anyway. I've fought the law, and the law won.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote