Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-13-2018, 11:29 PM   #1
Gilbertsmith

Drives: 2008 Yaris hatchback
Airbag/passenger seatbelt light on - Code 32+43

I have an 08 Yaris 3 door hatch. About 2 years ago, I got in the car while my wife was driving and flopped down on the passenger seat, too hard I guess. Immediately after this the SRS warning light started flashing, the passenger airbag switched off, and the passenger seatbelt no longer registered that it was fastened.

So today I finally got around to trying to troubleshoot this. I hooked up a jumper wire to the ODB pins and the SRS light is flashing codes 32 and 43.

I tried clearing the codes several times, but it doesn't seem to have any effect. I think I'm doing it right, so I'm assuming the errors are coming back after being cleared.

Error 43 is apparently "passenger airbag on/off indicator circuit malfunction". I installed a new stereo a little bit ago (long after the SRS light came on) and had to pull the panel off with the indicator light. I'm going to pull it off and reseat it, but could this be why I'm getting this error? The indicator seems to be working fine, it's definitely hooked up.

Error 32 is the real problem I assume, "occupant classification system malfunction". I'm guessing when I landed hard on the seat I messed the weight sensors up or something?

I've unbolted the seat and reconnected all of the cables ( think there's 7 plugs down there?) and everything appears fine, but the light is still on.

Also I don't know how relevant it is, but we had it parked for about 8 months with the battery disconnected.

Any ideas where I should go with this? Thanks!
Gilbertsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:30 PM   #2
2008RedHatch

Drives: 2018 Yaris LE liftback, 2020
I checked under my drivers seat and found an unplugged connector, and voila! Fixed.

This is after I bought car and asked for $200 off price. I found this tip on here,
2008RedHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:04 PM   #3
Brick

Drives: 2007 Base Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbertsmith View Post
I have an 08 Yaris 3 door hatch. About 2 years ago, I got in the car while my wife was driving and flopped down on the passenger seat, too hard I guess. Immediately after this the SRS warning light started flashing, the passenger airbag switched off, and the passenger seatbelt no longer registered that it was fastened.

So today I finally got around to trying to troubleshoot this. I hooked up a jumper wire to the ODB pins and the SRS light is flashing codes 32 and 43.

I tried clearing the codes several times, but it doesn't seem to have any effect. I think I'm doing it right, so I'm assuming the errors are coming back after being cleared.

Error 43 is apparently "passenger airbag on/off indicator circuit malfunction". I installed a new stereo a little bit ago (long after the SRS light came on) and had to pull the panel off with the indicator light. I'm going to pull it off and reseat it, but could this be why I'm getting this error? The indicator seems to be working fine, it's definitely hooked up.

Error 32 is the real problem I assume, "occupant classification system malfunction". I'm guessing when I landed hard on the seat I messed the weight sensors up or something?

I've unbolted the seat and reconnected all of the cables ( think there's 7 plugs down there?) and everything appears fine, but the light is still on.

Also I don't know how relevant it is, but we had it parked for about 8 months with the battery disconnected.

Any ideas where I should go with this? Thanks!
For future reference, check your open recalls. Today I called toyota and to my surprise everything that’s wrong with my car, airbag related, has a recall associated with it. November 5th they all get fixed!
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote