Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-12-2009, 08:07 AM   #1
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
Installed 10mm PG spacers on a 15x7 +25 wheel

Alright, so as many of you know by now, i use the 15x7 +25mm wheels from Team Dynamics. 13 lbs, great offset, $99, mega deal. The rears NEVER rub. I have never heard the front rub, but the fender liner shows some light wear most likely front the extensive track time. The only thing I have done that would have improved the front fitment would be running as much front camber as possible by using the smallest OEM strut bolt available from Toyota, which is an easy of a mod as one can do.

So with the current set up i have, the 15x7 +25 has been excellent and has produced no rub.

I installed the PG rear spacers this weekend while doing some fluid changes on the car. In addition, we did some light fender rolling.

If there is stuff in the car (ie people, cooler, car parts, anything really) there is heavy rubbing on compression of the rear suspension (pretty much the smallest bump.) Without the crap in the car, there is no rubbing. This NEVER happened before the spacers.

So from this analysis, i would assume that the maximum rear offset for a 7" wheel lies between +25 to +15. If we take the average 7" wheel with an offset of say, +38, that is a +25 with a 13mm rear spacer. Identical to the wheel i am running now (without spacer). No rubbing, no hassle. If you are running a +35, you can easily run the 10mm spacer with the same effective offset.

We had a cookout at the shop while i was installing the spacers, everyone agreed that the spacers look MUCH better, the car looks better for sure. It really fills out the rear. Unfortunately i have the rubbing even with a light fender pull, which still managed to chip my paint.

An additional benefit to the spacers is an improvement in rear track. I am not sure what this has done to the car quite yet, and i will get back to you after this weekend at CMP. The rear of the car feels more stable and more "rotatable" if you will. The spacer was the only change to the suspension settings made, thus any change resulting comes from the increased track. It feels different, and good. A weekend of abuse should extract the exact benefits.

Due to the rubbing, i may remove the spacers and throw them on when i go to the track. I think if i had stiffer rear springs, the rubbing would not occur. Also, i found out it would bump me up a class in NASA TT due to increasing the track of the car by MORE than 3". The 15x7 +25 wheels increase the track over the stock alloys by exactly 3". I would really like to get a set of hoosiers, build a splitter, and go race in Time Trial next year legally.

15x7 +25, NO SPACER... Perfect fit, no rubbing.
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote