Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-20-2009, 05:37 PM   #19
427chev

Drives: 2009 Yaris with TRD parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
The fit is a mini-van, and its one of the ugliest cars since the aztek. The yaris is cheaper, gets better mileage, and looks like a car, not a shrunken odyssey. For the 2 grand you save, you can get power locks and windows, and a system that will blow the fit away.. But I agree don't get the options at the dealership - you can do them all later for way cheaper.

If you have over 13 grand to spend, don't even think about a fit - get a stock LB or sedan, and go on a shopping spree at microimage. :D
The facts don't support your claims.

Both the Fit and the Yaris come standard with A/C and all Fits come standard with power windows and locks.

http://automobiles.honda.com/fit/specifications.aspx

The Fit also comes standard with a better sounding, more powerful stereo, four doors, a tach, a multi-information display, superior seating, a rear window wiper/washer, a telescoping steering wheel and a more powerful engine.

Futhermore, the Fit's automatic trans is a 5 speed, while the Yaris's is a 4 speed.

The Yaris that would come closest to the equipment level of a base Fit would be an appropriately optioned, 5 door hatch "S." The sticker on that would be $16,855 (including destination).

The Fit would still offer more equipment (as I noted above) and would sticker for $16,220 (including destination), which is $635 LESS than the Yaris!

http://www.edmunds.com/

The prices I provided are for the automatic transmission models; the price difference among the manual cars is similar.
2009 Base model Bayou Blue 3 door hatch, 5 speed manual trans, Option Group D, factory floor mats, accessory mud guards, TRD shocks/springs/rear bar, TRD leather wrapped shift knob, Pioneer FH-P8000BT "double DIN" head unit & 4 Infiniti Kappa speakers, stainless steel license plate screws, Toyota stainless exhaust tip, enhanced driver's seat (professional upholsterer added spring mesh to lower seat cushion which DRAMATICALLY improved support/comfort and also built up lumbar region in seat back for more aggressive lumbar support. Seat Mod Cost: $125; the seat "feels" $350 better.)
427chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:52 PM   #20
thewifesyaris

Drives: 2007 and 2008 MM Yari LBs
www.slickcars.com
For 80 bucks you have power locks with keyless, another 130 you have power windows, I had a fit she was great but when your looking for bang for your buck bare base Yaris and adding your own power is way way too cheap to pass up.

Then again I did see a commercial about a rather nifty looking Kia, though I know nothing about Kia the little thing was pretty bitching.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ-CDE_r_wg
Old 03-20-2009, 06:01 PM   #21
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by 427chev View Post
The facts don't support your claims.
Thanks for the copy-paste from the other thread. If you get everything done at the dealership, then the yaris gets overpriced, that is correct. But give me 17 grand to spend on a fit or 17 grand on a yaris, and I'll take the yaris anyday.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:29 PM   #22
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Not to add any fuel to the fire or anything but IMO, I really REALLY think the Fit handles better overall. I don't know how to explain it, it just does. The clutch (shifter) works like knife in butter. Acceleration is lightning fast, even when you're in lower gears (very important for city driving with bits of freeway, hills and what not, like in the SF Bay Area).

I'm no mechanic, I'm just an idiot consumer driving stock cars, but I've been driving for a lot of years, and I'm telling you, if you take a stock base Yaris and a stock base Fit for a test drive, you will notice a big difference in handling.

It's not about power windows or power anything, it's just the handling and the driving experience overall. Can't explain it.

It's in the

Again, I didn't say I don't enjoy my Yaris

peace

tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:37 PM   #23
427chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
Not to add any fuel to the fire or anything but IMO, I really REALLY think the Fit handles better overall.
The Fit doesn't handle better than a Yaris equipped with TRD shocks, springs and the rear bar, though the Fit most certainly handles better than a stock Yaris.

I had the dealer install those before I took delivery; it set me back $1,240 (including parts, labor and 4 Toyota mudguards).

That chewed into the "bang for the buck" factor, though, as did the stereo and speakers I had installed.
2009 Base model Bayou Blue 3 door hatch, 5 speed manual trans, Option Group D, factory floor mats, accessory mud guards, TRD shocks/springs/rear bar, TRD leather wrapped shift knob, Pioneer FH-P8000BT "double DIN" head unit & 4 Infiniti Kappa speakers, stainless steel license plate screws, Toyota stainless exhaust tip, enhanced driver's seat (professional upholsterer added spring mesh to lower seat cushion which DRAMATICALLY improved support/comfort and also built up lumbar region in seat back for more aggressive lumbar support. Seat Mod Cost: $125; the seat "feels" $350 better.)
Old 03-20-2009, 09:56 PM   #24
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
The Fit doesn't handle better than a Yaris equipped with TRD shocks, springs and the rear bar, though the Fit most certainly handles better than a stock Yaris.
Keep in mind that I was comparing stock and stock.

If you only spent a grand or so at the dealership, then it's really not so bad.

Is the "rear bar" the same thing as a "sway bar" ? can you tell the difference?
Old 03-20-2009, 10:48 PM   #25
tomato
Super Moderator

Never mind, I found my answer. Duh.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:10 AM   #26
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
4. Yes.
5. HB.
6. Maybe.
7. Yes.
8. No.
8. Excellent. No.
9. It's not a KIA.
11. It's not a BMW.
12. Don't know.
13. Yes.
14. No. No.

For the money, the Yaris is a good buy. It does what it is suppose to do.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:29 AM   #27
427chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
Keep in mind that I was comparing stock and stock.

If you only spent a grand or so at the dealership, then it's really not so bad.

Is the "rear bar" the same thing as a "sway bar" ? can you tell the difference?
Yes, I was referring to the TRD rear "swar bar," which is more properly referred to as an "anti-roll bar."

I had the shocks, springs and rear bar installed when the car was brand new and prior to taking delivery.

I have owned a lot of nice handling cars (1LE Camaro, Z51 C6 Corvette, Sentra SE-R (first gen.), Mazda Speed 3) and am VERY impressed with what the TRD components did to this Yaris. It is very well balanced, doesn't have a hint of float, squat or dive yet still rides quite well. The car's limits are a lot lower than those of the Camaro and Corvette (in particular) because I am running the OEM wheels and tires on the Yaris and because the Yaris is also far less powerful.

Still, a Yaris equipped with the TRD suspension can be a surprisingly fun and satisfying car to drive.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:52 AM   #28
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
the manaul transmission fit will never make up for its one fatal flaw. the gearing on it is ludicrous. when i test drove it, i was dumbfounded that it was spinning 3400 rpms at 70 mph. it had grown tiresome on my 20 minute test drive. its loud and buzzy. it ruined what would have been a sure sale for me. additionally, the profile of the new fit is as ugly as a car could get, like a little chunk of metal pulling a big long glass bubble behind it. still, i could have forgiven its ugliness if not for the gearing.

i think small hatchbacks are made to be driven with a stick and im hoping the next batch of subcompact hatches (focus/polo/et al...) will have better gearing in their manual trannies.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:24 AM   #29
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
I've never really complained about going off topic much, but sheesh! Answer the questions, leave the fit vs yaris debate on the 10 other threads here on YW. You've pretty much thread-jacked the OP.

I was starting to enjoy reading the thread and then--- as usual it goes off topic.

/end rant.

1. Road trips/climates/mountains.... I'll leave this to the others who travel more. I would say you'd be okay as long as you understood the boundaries of the car.

2. Power Package- I like it, as others have said, you could also get the bare bones and do custom upgrades.

3. S model- just body kit, no mechanical differences, certain things in the cab are better but that's about it. (Tach- came with my sedan manual with power package)

4. Plenty of power to do whatever you want as long as you know how to apply it. Make sure you get to know the car before the cliimate differences.

5. Hatch vs sedan- I needed 4 doors, thinking back on it if they had the 5 door hatchback, I might just have gotten that. Then again when I first got the car I was never really into Hatches until I came to Yarisworld.

6. Seating capacity--if you intend to carry 4 adults-often, go with the sedan or the 5 door-- just more comfortable for your passengers.

7. Oil- pick as you wish. As mentioned before, it's up to you. If you're savvy as to where you do the changes or even try them your self, you could get away with getting the better oil and filters for the price of the regular stuff. Coolant- you don't need to worry about that until at least 70k or so.

8. Surfboards!---5 door is for you!

9. How is this car where street bumps, dips, holes are concerned? Plenty of height for all of those you speak of.-- no worries at all.

10. Perks- other have mentioned insurance, taxes, fees etc. I'm going to add that the car should not give you much trouble at all. So the main perk is low cost of ownership--google it, you'll see that it's at the top of many lists for cost of ownership.

11. Brakes- Pads alone was 45 bucks at the dealor, reasonable if you are a DIY person. Look at about 90 bucks for dealor work? 60 or so at an outside shop. They last a long time, I'm at 25k miles and when I rotated the tires the pads were mint.

12. Cons- I like to fix things around the house, I realized one day that I needed to tie sheet rock to the roof (I have a sedan). Could have used the 5 door. Automatic is sluggish compared to the manual tranny (my opinion). Be careful of the prices, you might run into Corolla territory if you option the Yaris out.

13. Interior space- sit in one, it's like Dr. Who's ship (if you are into scifi), you'll wonder how they got all that room in there- I'm 6 feet tall- on the large side, refer to my avatar.

14. Nature lover- I'm thinking the 5 door would fit a Nature lover's needs- lots of room for camping materials. Car sits high enough for the trails to campsites.

15. Can't answer you about the colors and interior (don't know enough).

16. Anything else?
a. Do cross shop with the fit, even the scion xD. Your questions seem geared towards a outdoorsy person, remember that these cars are not trail vehicles of any sort, if you're looking for something more, think of the rav4 or honda CR-V (the mini-suvs).
b. Be sure to go to the auto shows, I know it's too late for the LA one but the OC is coming up right? --- it's atmosphere where you can just take your time sitting in every car you are interested in, no worries about commission hungry eyes on you.
c. when the time comes for you to buy, know exactly what you want! Otherwise the salesman can TELL you what you want and that gets expensive.
d. Never go car shopping alone!
Old 03-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #30
427chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
the manaul transmission fit will never make up for its one fatal flaw. the gearing on it is ludicrous. when i test drove it, i was dumbfounded that it was spinning 3400 rpms at 70 mph. it had grown tiresome on my 20 minute test drive. its loud and buzzy. it ruined what would have been a sure sale for me. additionally, the profile of the new fit is as ugly as a car could get, like a little chunk of metal pulling a big long glass bubble behind it. still, i could have forgiven its ugliness if not for the gearing.

i think small hatchbacks are made to be driven with a stick and im hoping the next batch of subcompact hatches (focus/polo/et al...) will have better gearing in their manual trannies.
What's kind of RPM is a 5 speed Yaris spinning @ 70MPH

Mine doesn't have a tach, but I guarantee it's close to 3,400 RPM and may even be higher.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:12 PM   #31
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
What's kind of RPM is a 5 speed Yaris spinning @ 70MPH:...................but I guarantee it's close to 3,400 RPM and may even be higher.
i think people w/ a scangauge have reported 3050-3100 rpms at 70 mph in the manual yaris.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:17 PM   #32
427chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
i think people w/ a scangauge have reported 3050-3100 rpms at 70 mph in the manual yaris.
That sounds awfully low.

I've driven a lot of cars and have never seen a small 4 cylinder turn revs that low at 70 MPH.

My 2.0 liter Sentra SE-R turned 4,000 rom even @ 80 MPH.

My 5 speed Yaris is "responsive" at 40 MPH in 5th gear; it's got be be carrying some pretty heavy gearing.

Have someone with a tach VERIFY what it is.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:28 PM   #33
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
That sounds awfully low.
Actually, it works out from the ratios at 3005 rpm.
At 40, it is 1720...
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:30 PM   #34
427chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Actually, it works out from the ratios at 3005 rpm. At least that's on a 2007
Yep, you guys are right on the money.

Check out this calculator. (Use the third calculator for manual transmissions.):

http://www.csgnetwork.com/multirpmcalc.html

Stock tire dia. (RE92s) is 23.9", 5th gear ratio is .82 and the final drive axle ratio is 3.72.

I'm surprised that this car is responsive as it is in 5th with that kind of gearing and such a small engine. Mine will easily pull 5th from 40 MPH with a bone stock engine and no power enhancing mods of any kind.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:00 PM   #35
JBougie
Banned

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB (Prev: 07 Sedan)
IMO, the car is perfect for all weather handling - I live in MN and deal with all of the extremes. Since I travel down south a lot I get a lot of the heat and quick weather changes on the travel down there and back - I have NEVER even had a funny sound come out of the Yaris. I have had mine for 1 year 10 months and have 38,890miles on her now.

I have the 4 door sedan, not "S" type but I do have cruise control, power everything, the 15" stock wheels, rear defrost, the weather package ... whatever that all comes with. It's pretty much loaded, the only thing I didn't get was the alloy wheels (because I am an aftermarket wheel type of girl lol) and leather seats (IMO leather in a yaris is dumb) and my price tag (before interest from financing) was $14,300 and I bought her brand new off the show room floor at Walser Bloomington Toyota here in MN.

I don't have a single complaint about this car and I looked for 3 weeks straight and had my Walser dealer going from dealership to dealership looking at everything and finally decided on the Yaris. My husband and I got to the dealership, I test drove the car and about an hour later drove it home. It was love at first drive.

I get my oil changed every 5k and use the 5/30 synthetic oil; she runs like a top so far :)

I don't really know about anything else you were asking, and since I don't surf and have never even seen a surf board I couldn't help you there - except I do know that you can get the racks on top of the roof of the car for storage.

Also - the Fit is ugly. Don't buy one of those. LOL
JBougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:14 PM   #36
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBougie View Post
IMO, the car is perfect for all weather handling

<major snip>

Also - the Fit is ugly. Don't buy one of those. LOL
Heh! You can stick around.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote