Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
yaristhebest

Drives: Yaris 2012 Sedan
My car doesn't start

Hi,

I own a 2012 Yaris Sedan 5 speed MT. It's a new car, just one week of use with approximately 300km but I'm having an issue, a serious one: sometimes my car refuses to start. It started to happen 2 days ago. Here is the history:

I was driving for around 30 minutes and then parked at a friend's house but since I'm still an unexperienced driver I parked my car in a wrong way so I wanted to re-start my car again (I turned it off) so I can adjust my park and then my car didn't started! For the record, I press all the clutch and then move the key to the "START" position to boot the engine (I think that's the proper way to start the car). Well, since the car was unable to start I tried again and again like 5 times and then finally it started! I did some movements to adjust my parking and then turned it off again and got inside my friend's house to eat something. Then 1 hour later I got off his house and my car turned on without issues and I went back to my house.

Next day it happened the same, after parking and turning my car off I tried to turn it on again (in less than 2 minutes) to fix my bad parking (I'm learning) and my car refused to start again! This time I was in a hurry so I got inside my University and then 4 hours later I got inside my car again and it turned on without a single hassle!

Now, today I'm stuck at my garage. I can't get outside because my car refuses to start. I have tried many times and it doesn't start. It sucks because it's a new car, I don't know what's going on. I have noticed something... when the key is on the "ON" position the control panel of my car looks this way: http://i50.tinypic.com/34qqtmx.jpg

Those 2 icons on the control panel disappear after approximately 3 seconds. The first one (from left to right) changes with a green icon that says "COOL" and the second one simply disappears. Here is the look of the control panel after these 3 seconds: http://i49.tinypic.com/24mduec.jpg

I'm not sure if all those icons means something good or bad but if I remember correctly they all were present since the moment when I got my car out of the store. And when my car starts then they all disappear, they only are there when the key is on the "ON" position.

Please guys I don't understand because it's not the first time that my car refuses to start and as you can see on the pictures there is enough gas so I really don't know what is going on.

In the manual that came with my car it says that my engine could be "inundated" and it suggest me to attempt to start my car with the accelerator in for 20 seconds or something like that but I'm scared of doing that, maybe it will further damage my car

Thank you!
yaristhebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
OK, now I'm starting to wonder if you are for real, or here to stir the pot.

You've posted 3 rather "unique" threads, and have not followed up to responses in your other 2.

Prove to me you are legit.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
yaristhebest

I know what you mean... you're probably thinking that I'm either a spam bot or troll but no, I'm not. In fact, I'm a forum moderator of a gaming forum so I know how forums work. That's why I'm here to learn more about my Yaris.

Please be patient with me, I'm really newbie when it comes to cars. Really.

PS. I replied to one of my other threads to say thanks to people who helped me. As a suggestion for the admins on this forum I think that a "Thanks" button would be useful :)
Old 01-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
Jabro

Drives: 2008 2dr Yaris Liftback
It sounds to me like you are not pushing in the clutch all the way, I mean basically flooring it when starting the car. The clutch on my Yaris is extremely stiff compared to my other car, and when I first got it I had a similar issue the first day. I even ran a battery test and everything, only to find out to my embarrassment that I just wasn't pushing hard enough on the clutch.
Jabro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
WeeYari

One thing that is not clear in your original post is whether or not the car is trying to start.

Is the engine turning over and just not catching, or is there absolutely nothing happening when you turn the key? If it is trying to start, then the issue is not related to the clutch.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
yaristhebest

Nothing happens when when I turn the key... I mean no sound at all from the engine so I guess that it is not trying to start and maybe @Jabro is right and I'm not properly hitting the clutch. This could be the problem because sometimes when I'm driving and I shift from neutral to 1st to move my car the engine shuts down because of me not properly playing with the clutch and the accelerator. I'll try again (this time hitting the clutch with more energy) after dinner and will update this thread.

And regarding the icons on my control panel, do they look fine?
Old 01-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
WeeYari

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaristhebest View Post
And regarding the icons on my control panel, do they look fine?
Yes, they look normal.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #8
Jabro

Drives: 2008 2dr Yaris Liftback
If nothing is happening when you tun the key, then it is most likely the clutch or battery. When you say "hitting the clutch" it makes it sound as if you are pressing it in and letting go. You are holding it down, correct? In all honesty, with you being fairly new to manual transmission, there are a number of things that could be the issue. You may want to just film what is going on and post it on youtube, it would help a lot.
Jabro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #9
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Check you fuses or battery maybe it's low.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Does you car have an alarm installed?
Old 01-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #11
yaristhebest

@Jabro, you were right man! Thanks a lot! It was my fault not fully pressing the clutch until reaching the floor of my car... now I pressed it fully and the engine started without issues. I turned it off and started it again 3 times more to make sure that was the problem. I even tried not fully pressing the clutch (like I was doing before) and it indeed didn't started.

Thank you all guys!

PS. CTScott, yes my car have an alarm installed. Just for curiosity may I ask you why you asked me that question? Maybe sometimes the alarm makes conflict with the electric system of the car?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaristhebest View Post
@Jabro, you were right man! Thanks a lot! It was my fault not fully pressing the clutch until reaching the floor of my car... now I pressed it fully and the engine started without issues. I turned it off and started it again 3 times more to make sure that was the problem. I even tried not fully pressing the clutch (like I was doing before) and it indeed didn't started.

Thank you all guys!

PS. CTScott, yes my car have an alarm installed. Just for curiosity may I ask you why you asked me that question? Maybe sometimes the alarm makes conflict with the electric system of the car?
If it wasn't the clutch safety switch, with the fact that the starter wasn't engaging, it made me think that you had an alarm with a starter lockout, which was not turning off.