Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-06-2017, 11:27 AM   #37
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Drives: '09 3-door 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
+1

What would you have done had he not wanted the Metro after seeing it in person?

Also, why on earth would you clean a rental before returning it! Not having to is half the joy! lol
Both the buyer and me are members of the Geo Metro forums. Everything I've done to it is documented there. Lots of pictures, too. It was pretty much a done deal before I left.

Hertz does not charge a cleanup fee unless the car is "excessively dirty." I think the amount of grime on the car qualified as excessive. Plus, they say any pet hair in the car will trigger a special cleaning fee.
scratchpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:46 AM   #38
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchpaddy View Post
Both the buyer and me are members of the Geo Metro forums. Everything I've done to it is documented there. Lots of pictures, too. It was pretty much a done deal before I left.

Hertz does not charge a cleanup fee unless the car is "excessively dirty." I think the amount of grime on the car qualified as excessive. Plus, they say any pet hair in the car will trigger a special cleaning fee.
Ah, gotcha.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:51 PM   #39
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
Quote:
Motorcycles, too? Were you going solo?
yes solo

i have an extensive motorcycle history prior to 2006

got out of the hobby too dangerous

didnt want to widow the wife
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:56 PM   #40
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
Quote:

Hertz does not charge a cleanup fee unless the car is "excessively dirty." I think the amount of grime on the car qualified as excessive.
+1

i tend to beat the crap out of my rentals

beyond excessively dirty

so i always clean the crap out of 'em to avoid fees
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:41 PM   #41
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

They found me! I got a letter the other day from Toyota about the Takata airbag recall. Arizona is Zone B, so my car qualifies for a new, shrapnel-free bomb as of December 31, 2016.

I called a dealer, and, after working through a few layers of robo-menus, was told that all the recalls are still open on my car. So, it needs a new power window switch and seat tracks, too. They'll call me back when they have the parts.

I'm going to do my best to give them as little contact info as possible. After I brought my Monte Carlo in for the ignition switch recall, the only time I've ever been to a dealership, I was inundated with mail demanding that I activate OnStar, which continued long after I sold the car.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:53 PM   #42
ern-diz

These days I'm getting the, "we really want to buy your car because everyone wants it" letters. "We'll purchase your car even if you don't buy a new one from us".

Right lol

On Wheelwell
Old 02-13-2017, 03:34 PM   #43
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Yep, I got lots of those when I had my Cobalt and gas was still around $4 a gallon. I started getting them right after I brought it in for a power steering recall. I kept getting them after a drunk used my car to stop his sliding 350Z in a parking lot. I wonder how much they would give me then? It still had three wheels left, after all.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:02 PM   #44
ern-diz

Ha

On Wheelwell
Old 02-18-2017, 12:41 PM   #45
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Well, the dealership I went to happened to be an AutoNation location, same as the body shop that fixed the hatch strut anchor, so they already had my address, and my email. Soon I'll be getting suggestions to come trade in my "old" Yaris for a new Camry or something.

Service was good, though. They replaced the Takata bomb on the passenger side, replaced both sets of front seat tracks, filled the master lock switch with grease, and washed the car, all for free. The sheet I signed at the end said $1,160 at the top. I'm not sure if that would have been for everything, or just one recall item.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:54 AM   #46
ern-diz

Nice

On Wheelwell
Old 02-20-2017, 07:53 PM   #47
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

From the dealer, to the other end of the line...

I love junkyards. It's like a car show where you get to break stuff. Not on purpose, but hey, it happens. You get to see all the ways cars die. Rear-ended, side-swiped, rolled over, engine knock, engine fire... lots of engine fires. How do people mess up that badly?

I was looking for center caps. From what I've read, base model Tercels and Corollas from the 1990's used center caps which still fit the wheels used on the Yaris. There are plenty of those in the junkyards, but how many made it all the way there without losing their caps? Not many, it turns out. Heck, just try finding one which still has all four wheels. People literally drive them until the wheels fall off.

In the first junkyard I went to, I managed to find just one lonely cap on a '93 Corolla.

Next junkyard, where I had bought the front seats for my Metro, had been sold, and was no longer a self-service junkyard. The next one had no old Corollas with any wheels left on them. At the fourth yard, my favorite junkyard, I found a 1990 Tercel EZ (the hatchback version) with TWO caps! One was the version which spells out TOYOTA instead of just the logo, though. I took it anyway. I could have had a full set if I settled for some caps from all the Prizms lying around (rebadged Corollas), but they had the Geo logo, of course.

So, my haul from four junkyard visits is three center caps, and hey, two of them actually match. I cleaned them up and filled in the logos with white paint (nail polish, actually) to make them pop.

I'll have to get the other two from eBay, where they cost $10 instead of $2. Now I understand why.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:53 PM   #48
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
Nice job hunting and painting ! Agree it looks pretty slick
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:11 AM   #49
ern-diz

I had those on my old '87 Corolla hatch. Very cool.

On Wheelwell
Old 02-24-2017, 09:07 PM   #50
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Thanks, David! And, ern-diz, I remember the pictures you posted in the "first car" thread. That was a nice Corolla. I love hatchbacks. I think your caps were more like these, though.

Quote:
That paint job with some silver chrome trim rings and (if you can find) some Toyota center caps would be the business
Okay, you knew what I wanted before I knew I wanted it. I decided I was going to paint my wheels silver after all, then looked to see what kind of center caps would fit. That led to pictures of Yarii with black wheels, chrome trim rings, and center caps, which I thought looked damn good. So, no need to paint the wheels after all.

The trim rings arrived today in a box that looked like it had fallen off the truck, three or four times, then run over once or twice for good measure. I didn't need my boxcutter, since UPS had already ripped the box open for me. Thanks, guys!

The trim rings somehow survived, though. I got 1.75" deep ones per another member's suggestion on some old threads. I'm glad I got the plated plastic ones instead of real metal. There's no way metal trim rings could have survived that shipment without bending.

I like it. Only one side has the center caps right now. I'm still waiting for the other center caps to get here. Hopefully the shipper treats them more gently than the trim rings.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:45 AM   #51
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Looks great. A simple solution is sometimes the best.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:03 AM   #52
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
If only our steelies wouldn't rust out from the winter, that'd be great to have here too when you don't have mags already !

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:58 PM   #53
ern-diz

Boom! Love it.

On Wheelwell
Old 02-26-2017, 12:21 PM   #54
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
Looks great. A simple solution is sometimes the best.
Those are the solutions I like best. Simple and practical, and cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
If only our steelies wouldn't rust out from the winter, that'd be great to have here too when you don't have mags already !
The paint on steelies is garbage. It doesn't hold up to anything. Stock steelies don't rust here, but all of them are dull and chalky after a few years. Mine have actually been re-painted at some point. That's why they're shiny. They didn't even do a good job, getting paint all over the lugs and hubs, but it still holds up way better than the stock treatment. If you were to put some real paint on your wheels, I bet they could hold up to the winter roads.
Quote:
Boom! Love it.