Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-08-2018, 05:48 PM   #1
RicStyx

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris 1.3 -3rd Gen
Unknown connections.

Hi all, as I was putting my gear shift cover back in I noticed two connectors that were tapped up and unused. I have found in the past unused connections such as the led footwell lights. So I am wondering if these are also a hidden feature that I could be using? I have a 2012 1.33 French built Yaris.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
RicStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:26 PM   #2
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
I believe those are for the automatic transmission selector.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:28 PM   #3
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
I believe those are for the automatic transmission selector.
jfc toyota really just included everything in these cars. is this way its so expensive . - . ??? cause if you wanna hot swap it between transmissions it sall there and ready????

"toyotas assumed logic" take it to the track and put a manual in it lol and swap in your automatic off the track lol. which you could lmao.
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:36 AM   #4
RicStyx

I agree that the white one could be for the automatic transmission, however I haven't taken the console out and possibly there could be more in front of the gear selector. But I'm curious about the dark grey connector as it is positioned further backwards. Could it be a switch?

Old 06-09-2018, 07:17 AM   #5
RicStyx

Could it possibly be the switch for the heated seat function? Not sure if there are any yaris owners here with that function that could check the switch?

Old 06-09-2018, 05:53 PM   #6
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
Economies of scale mean it would be more economical to make the wiring harness as universal as possible. You would have to have LHD and RHD versions, but after that it is much easier to have 1 standard harness that accommodates the different versions that may come down the production line.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:55 PM   #7
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinj93 View Post
Economies of scale mean it would be more economical to make the wiring harness as universal as possible. You would have to have LHD and RHD versions, but after that it is much easier to have 1 standard harness that accommodates the different versions that may come down the production line.
so the whole LHD lineup internationally fits on the USDM yaris for those in the know lmao.
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:11 AM   #8
RicStyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinj93 View Post
I agree 100%. I work in the motor industry and have watched local companies make wiring harnesses for buses and trucks. Very interesting as everything is included. However I still want to find out what these blank connectors are.

Old 06-10-2018, 06:20 AM   #9
stykerdk
Yaris Hybrid Limited 2015

Drives: yaris Hybrid limited 2015
I have seat heating switch and ESP switch in that cover under the hand brake, i think thats what is there.
The hybrid has also EV-mode switch an ECO switch there, then all 4 places is used.

VW makes wiring harness for every single car, if you want to retrofit anything you will almost everytime have to draw new wires.
And very often you also need to change the electronic control modules, because VW have a lot of types and very often the low line module doesnt support the things you want to retrofit.

But the big big difference between VW and Toyota is that VW build every car to customer specifications, where Toyota offer a number of trim levels where you can take it as it is.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:10 AM   #10
RicStyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by stykerdk View Post
I have seat heating switch and ESP switch in that cover under the hand brake, i think thats what is there.
The hybrid has also EV-mode switch an ECO switch there, then all 4 places is used.

VW makes wiring harness for every single car, if you want to retrofit anything you will almost everytime have to draw new wires.
And very often you also need to change the electronic control modules, because VW have a lot of types and very often the low line module doesnt support the things you want to retrofit.

But the big big difference between VW and Toyota is that VW build every car to customer specifications, where Toyota offer a number of trim levels where you can take it as it is.
Would you mind maybe lifting the small plastic cover up and taking a photo of the two switches with there connectors, so I could see if mine correlates. Would help me out a lot.

It's really easy to lift it, just pull the small rubber lip by the handbrake up and it will pop out easily.