Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
Help A/C issue.

no thread on this yet atleast i couldnt find it but yesterday i found out that my ac aint working.. air is blowing but it seems like the ac clutch relay not clicking , light is on when i press the a/c button but no click and rev not raising..

- checked the window for freon fluid seems like its low but since toyota uses clear fluid kinna hard to tell..

? does the ac clutch relay automatically shuts off if the fluid is low to avoid further damage?
if so they i may have a leak..

weirdest thing is this started when the water pump was replaced and toyota had to take off the ac compressor off the get the water pump replaced but they claimed that should not affect the ac.

although the ac did work same day after the water pump was replaced but it took a lot longer to get cool and not as cold as well it work once or twice after that then yesterday i had no a/c..

i dont think this is covered by warranty since its 4 years old..so i either need to get this fix myself or pay toyota for it.

thanks peeps..

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The AC ECU controls the compressor clutch and if it senses an issue, such as too high or too low of refrigerant pressure, it will not activate it. The AC ECU has DTCs just like all of the other ECUs, but unfortunately there is no trick with it for getting it to flash a light to tell you the code. Its codes have to be read with a TechStream tool.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #3
marcus
toyota

This helps atleast it could just be a leak easier and less expensive to fix than the ac compressor itself.. Do you know if removing the compressor can cause leak when Toyota replaced the water pumpunless the damage a line while working on the wp? Thanks Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The AC ECU controls the compressor clutch and if it senses an issue, such as too high or too low of refrigerant pressure, it will not activate it. The AC ECU has DTCs just like all of the other ECUs, but unfortunately there is no trick with it for getting it to flash a light to tell you the code. Its codes have to be read with a TechStream tool.

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
Old 10-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
This helps atleast it could just be a leak easier and less expensive to fix than the ac compressor itself.. Do you know if removing the compressor can cause leak when Toyota replaced the water pumpunless the damage a line while working on the wp? Thanks Scott
They definitely could have caused a leak when they removed the compressor, particularly if they move/removed it without disconnecting the lines. A leak will theoretically be cheaper to fix, but the AC piping is still pretty crazy expensive ($100 - $200 depending on which one).
Old 10-10-2011, 03:04 PM   #5
marcus
toyota

Actually done a line before for less than 10 buck there's clamp you can buy to tap around the leak that will withstand high pressure pretty cool gadget to fix leak...

Old 10-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Actually done a line before for less than 10 buck there's clamp you can buy to tap around the leak that will withstand high pressure pretty cool gadget to fix leak...
That can work if the leak is in the right place.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:38 AM   #7
marcus
toyota

ok tried charging the a/c but wont take pressure in seems like the freon/ac fluid is full still no luck on the a/c clutch kicking in ?? now i dont really know whats wrong with it? what did toyota touch just by moving the ac compressor aside to replace the water pump..? im at lost?

also did check the fuse on the dash on the driver side..and it was fine...

Old 10-14-2011, 09:41 AM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
ok tried charging the a/c but wont take pressure in seems like the freon/ac fluid is full still no luck on the a/c clutch kicking in ?? now i dont really know whats wrong with it? what did toyota touch just by moving the ac compressor aside to replace the water pump..? im at lost?
Since they caused it, take it back to them and get them to read the code on the AC ECU. That way you aren't stabbing in the dark.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #9
marcus
toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Since they caused it, take it back to them and get them to read the code on the AC ECU. That way you aren't stabbing in the dark.
since i hardly use my ac im pretty sure they gonna give me hard time on this one..got the pump done 6 weeks ago..*sigh*