Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-04-2014, 11:06 PM   #1
ucsmfu

Drives: yaris le
Prius C side mirror assembly same as 2012 Yaris ?

Just wondering if anyone knows if the Prius C side mirrors are the same size as the 2012 Yaris ? From the looks of it, looks the same. I am curious because the Prius C has the built in led side mirror leds, and wouldn't mind just swapping the mirrors and plug and play for the leds.

Prius C side mirror

Yaris side mirror

ucsmfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #2
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
they should be. worst case the hinge/base (black plastic attached to the door) as well as the clips on the mirror glass vis-a-vis the attachment areas on the motor (white plastic where the mirror glass attaches) should be the only things different.

either way it should work. unless of course there is a size difference, such as the fortuner (SUV) /hilux (pickup truck) mirrors proportionally looking in picture exactly like the camry/yaris, but are almost twice as big.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:56 PM   #3
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
I've wondered this myself. I haven't taken out my set of calipers but to my eyes they look to be the same. I too would like to install these on my 3rd gen Yaris. For the life of me I can't understand why side repeaters aren't mandatory here in the US.

I have a feeling that if one were to pop the cover off of our mirrors there will be a space where the turn signal could be mounted. I say this because the rest of the world has the mirror signals and I can't believe Toyota made a separate mirror base just for us. I suspect the mounting place is there just not used and covered with a different cover. Can anybody confirm this? CTScott maybe?

If so I imagine we could buy turn signals and covers for a Prius C. But I doubt there is any wiring in place, I think we would have to run thru door panels, under dash and splice in somewhere. That is the part that worries me. Perhaps we could use a Prius C wiring harness, I don't know. I DO know that I don't want to be the guinea pig.

If anybody has done this please post the details. I'm sure a lot of us here will appreciate it.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:07 PM   #4
ucsmfu

So i ordered these a few weeks back http://www.ebay.com/itm/110960897430...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Brought it to the shop to get my installer to install them and the covers didn't fit properly. The clips didn't fit. Just wanted to let you guys know so you don't make the same mistake and buy them.

I am crossing my fingers for the Prius C side mirrors right now.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:17 PM   #5
NYC-SE

That sucks. I'm always weary of non-OEM parts. I'm willing to bet the Prius C covers will fit.

Quick question when you installed your lights what was the wiring situation?
Old 12-05-2014, 08:48 PM   #6
ucsmfu

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
That sucks. I'm always weary of non-OEM parts. I'm willing to bet the Prius C covers will fit.

Quick question when you installed your lights what was the wiring situation?

Haha, do you have any way of getting a Prius C cover to test it out ? haha

Here's the diagram courtesy of Scott

http://i.imgur.com/CDJMswV.png
Old 12-05-2014, 09:08 PM   #7
NYC-SE

No I don't. Sorry.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:58 PM   #8
jcboy

Quote:
I've wondered this myself. I haven't taken out my set of calipers but to my eyes they look to be the same. I too would like to install these on my 3rd gen Yaris. For the life of me I can't understand why side repeaters aren't mandatory here in the US.

I have a feeling that if one were to pop the cover off of our mirrors there will be a space where the turn signal could be mounted. I say this because the rest of the world has the mirror signals and I can't believe Toyota made a separate mirror base just for us. I suspect the mounting place is there just not used and covered with a different cover. Can anybody confirm this? CTScott maybe?

If so I imagine we could buy turn signals and covers for a Prius C. But I doubt there is any wiring in place, I think we would have to run thru door panels, under dash and splice in somewhere. That is the part that worries me. Perhaps we could use a Prius C wiring harness, I don't know. I DO know that I don't want to be the guinea pig.

If anybody has done this please post the details. I'm sure a lot of us here will appreciate it.

Don't worry about the wiring. Worst case you can run them in between the door and the interior panel and just through the space inside the fender to the front signal lights. those are where the OEM fender lights are wired anyway.

Otherwise, insert it through the rubber boot and out to the junction box where you can get the +12V signal from Pin14 and Pin 31 from the 4B connector, and the ground from the nut by the kickpanel. The turn signals don't have polarity if they are not LED, either way you can interchange.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:29 PM   #9
NYC-SE

Hey uscmfu did you ever get the Prius C covers? If so did they fit?

I did some research and it seems that the Prius C covers are the same as the Euro spec Yaris covers so I am assuming they would fit but just want an actual "hands on" confirmation.

Prius C part diagram here:

http://www.toyodaautoparts.com/showA...sembly=5744654

Euro Yaris part diagram here:

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/...al/8701_mirror

As you can see the part numbers are the same. Also was glad to see that the side mirror covers can be ordered pre-painted, the last 2 digits of the part number indicates paint code. One less thing to do.

I plan to do this mod some time this summer (maybe), just researching what would be involved right now. One thing I wonder is where to get the electrical connector which the signal lamps will plug into. Can't seem to find any part number for it. Does anybody know?
Old 12-31-2014, 07:13 PM   #10
ucsmfu

Quote:

I did some research and it seems that the Prius C covers are the same as the Euro spec Yaris covers so I am assuming they would fit but just want an actual "hands on" confirmation.

As you can see the part numbers are the same. Also was glad to see that the side mirror covers can be ordered pre-painted, the last 2 digits of the part number indicates paint code. One less thing to do.

I plan to do this mod some time this summer (maybe), just researching what would be involved right now. One thing I wonder is where to get the electrical connector which the signal lamps will plug into. Can't seem to find any part number for it. Does anybody know?
Hey NYC-SE

I never got the covers, didn't want to be guinea pig, plus already took a loss for the 2012 Prius covers and leds from Ebay :/
Old 01-01-2015, 04:25 AM   #11
jcboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsmfu View Post
Hey NYC-SE

I never got the covers, didn't want to be guinea pig, plus already took a loss for the 2012 Prius covers and leds from Ebay :/
Sorry to hear about this, but if it makes you feel any better i think the reason they didnt fit is because they are taiwan made as compared to being OEM or OEM prius. even the 2012 or earlier yarises have the taiwan covers being a mismatch, so you'll have to buy the entire Taiwan mirror set/assembly.

here the camry, the yaris hatch and sedan, and the corolla all have interchangeable mirror glass and covers. i dunno about the prius as the prius here hasnt changed its model as of yet.

just my 0.02, im no ctscott (expert) though.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:37 AM   #12
NYC-SE

Quote:

UPDATE:

Now I'm not so sure. I didn't have the full part numbers before. Now I do. Here are the part numbers for a RH mirror cover for:

US Yaris: 87915-52120-XX
Euro Yaris: 87915-52140-XX
Prius C: 87915-52170-XX

(XX=paint code)

Only difference is the second to last digit. I wish I knew what that digit signifies but I can't find any Toyota part number coding scheme breakdowns anywhere online. Does anyone know how to read a Toyota part number? CTScott maybe?

I think it may just signify model (or model variation) in which case it shouldn't matter. After all the US and Euro Yaris covers should fit each other (other than signal gap) so perhaps the "7" in the Prius # is simply because it is a different model yet the actual part is the same. Just conjecture I know. My gut and my eyes still tell me it will fit but would like to know for sure before I spend my money.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:36 AM   #13
davino1966

Drives: yaris
Prius C mirror

I tried for my 2014 Yaris didn't fit the covers look the same but the Prius C cover is shorter. Bought used Prius C mirrors from junk yard and cut my cover to fit lights so from the used mirrors I took the signals and pigtails.
davino1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:43 AM   #14
davino1966

Prius C signals

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboy View Post
Don't worry about the wiring. Worst case you can run them in between the door and the interior panel and just through the space inside the fender to the front signal lights. those are where the OEM fender lights are wired anyway.

Otherwise, insert it through the rubber boot and out to the junction box where you can get the +12V signal from Pin14 and Pin 31 from the 4B connector, and the ground from the nut by the kickpanel. The turn signals don't have polarity if they are not LED, either way you can interchange.
They are not the same tried that but the Prius C signals fit you have to cut mirror cover to fit light and wire through the door. I bought used mirrors from junk yard. good luck
Old 02-24-2015, 01:26 PM   #15
NYC-SE

So the final answer is NO. Prius C and Yaris mirrors are NOT the same.

Thanks for making it official davino1966
Old 02-24-2015, 03:34 PM   #16
ucsmfu

Quote:
Originally Posted by davino1966 View Post
They are not the same tried that but the Prius C signals fit you have to cut mirror cover to fit light and wire through the door. I bought used mirrors from junk yard. good luck
were the signals plug and play ?
Old 02-24-2015, 06:56 PM   #17
davino1966

You have to wire them up , I grounded one wire to mirror bolt and the other ran through door to signal wires. Not hard at all . You have to use a dremel to shape mirror cover for signal light it took some time but its looks good when finished. I used a sharpie to outline shape of signal light.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:01 AM   #18
ucsmfu

Quote:
Originally Posted by davino1966 View Post
You have to wire them up , I grounded one wire to mirror bolt and the other ran through door to signal wires. Not hard at all . You have to use a dremel to shape mirror cover for signal light it took some time but its looks good when finished. I used a sharpie to outline shape of signal light.
any pics ? so you actually cut our the side mirror covers ?