Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-12-2010, 08:01 AM   #1
Jabberwocky
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris two door 2010
The wind blows the Yaris door

We own a 2010 Yaris two door. These doors are very long and care must be taken to open the door in a parking lot to avoid dinging other people's cars.
The design of these doors is such that when you pull the little door handle and the door opens a bit, if there is a wind blowing from the back of the vehicle, the wind catches the door so fast before you can grab the door handle and whips it open, and smashes any vehicle unfortunate enough to be next to the door.
The handle grab is too far up on the door to allow a regular person to grab the door with enough force to stop the opening. This is horrible.
Several times the wind has grabbed our doors and flung them open, despite our efforts to stop this.
Yesterday, the driver door smashed into someone's vehicle, we left a note with our info, and called insurance, who will pay for the dent in that person's car. The same time, our Yaris passenger door opened and was flung out by the wind, and had there been a vehicle there, that would have also banged into a car. So both doors flew open at the same time. Horrors!
We think this is a terrible design flaw and if anyone agrees, let us know.
Today, we are going to Toyota to trade in this car, we do not want to be having doors fling open and causing damage to other people's vehicles.
It is bad enough that people ding other people's cars by being inconsiderate, we are not inconsiderate, and cannot keep the wind from blowing open the door without warning. Happens really fast. Anyone else have this problem?
We love the Yaris, but are thinking to get a four door, the door are shorter, and if they blow open won't reach another vehicle. Comments? Help?
Jabberwocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:16 AM   #2
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
So you aren't flexible enough to hold the handle with one hand and open it with the other? Because the wind will catch any car door on whatever car you own.

BTW, Welcome to the forum.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
This happens with any 2 door I've ever owned. You must have tornadic-force winds there!
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:28 AM   #4
TRDMarty

Drives: Polar White 2008, 3Dr HB TRD '
Yes I have had this happen as well.
I just learned to park my car facing into the wind to avoid this.
Just a thought
TRDMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:32 AM   #5
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
We own a 2010 Yaris two door. These doors are very long and care must be taken to open the door in a parking lot to avoid dinging other people's cars.
The design of these doors is such that when you pull the little door handle and the door opens a bit, if there is a wind blowing from the back of the vehicle, the wind catches the door so fast before you can grab the door handle and whips it open, and smashes any vehicle unfortunate enough to be next to the door.
The handle grab is too far up on the door to allow a regular person to grab the door with enough force to stop the opening. This is horrible.
Several times the wind has grabbed our doors and flung them open, despite our efforts to stop this.
Yesterday, the driver door smashed into someone's vehicle, we left a note with our info, and called insurance, who will pay for the dent in that person's car. The same time, our Yaris passenger door opened and was flung out by the wind, and had there been a vehicle there, that would have also banged into a car. So both doors flew open at the same time. Horrors!
We think this is a terrible design flaw and if anyone agrees, let us know.
Today, we are going to Toyota to trade in this car, we do not want to be having doors fling open and causing damage to other people's vehicles.
It is bad enough that people ding other people's cars by being inconsiderate, we are not inconsiderate, and cannot keep the wind from blowing open the door without warning. Happens really fast. Anyone else have this problem?
We love the Yaris, but are thinking to get a four door, the door are shorter, and if they blow open won't reach another vehicle. Comments? Help?
You've got to be joking!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:47 AM   #6
inthecaribbean

Drives: Un truck!
pfffffffffff!!! lol
inthecaribbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:00 AM   #7
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
roll down your window then you can grasp the frame of the door as well as any handles, it may help!!...??
Old 08-12-2010, 10:10 AM   #8
landrym28
3,300+ at one point.. >:(

Drives: 2010 Hatchback RS
Send a message via MSN to landrym28
Yeah, right after you open the door, grab one of the handles to prevent the wind from blowing it into another car.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:21 PM   #9
dingbat

Drives: '10 3D Liftback
You must have missed the section in the owner's manual about exiting through the rear hatch in windy conditions.
dingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #10
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
OP: The doors are a little big, sure... that's why you hold them when you open them, see?

don't take it the wrong way , but thanks, I needed a post like this one right about now.

Please let us know if the dealer managed to keep a straight face when you tell them why you're returning the car.

Anyway, good luck with your next car.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:08 PM   #11
tomato
Super Moderator

To the OP in case you were not joking:

the 4 doors is a better choice IMO, because the doors are indeed smaller and having 4 door make it much easier to get to shove groceries and stuff in the back of the car.

Good luck to you.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #12
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Hahahahaha
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #13
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Winds blew my door out of my leftt hand and slammed it shut on the fingers of my right hand.
Attached Images

bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:21 PM   #14
tomato
Super Moderator

Holy cow!
Old 08-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #15
DandiDani

Drives: 09' Meteorite liftback
Send a message via MSN to DandiDani
ive had my doors fling open a couple of times but it was my own fault.reason being i let go of the door and had it open for too long while i was getting something in the back seat. i shouldve pulled the door closer to me to close the huge gap or had the window opened, but my car doors have never hit another vehicle. i honestly do not think this is a very good reason to return your car. i think that you should seek different ways of entering/exiting the vehicle. you might also try parking in areas where you are not so close to other people. i always park my car curbside at work so that i only have one person parked on my other side. i park as close to curbside as possible so i create anough space that their door can fling open completely and my yaris stays untouched. or other times if there is no curb i park in the back of lot and walk the distance. its too bad your letting the yaris go because of that.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #16
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Winds blew my door out of my leftt hand and slammed it shut on the fingers of my right hand.
Yeah and you need a manicure too,lol. Sorry about your finger though.....
Old 08-12-2010, 11:20 PM   #17
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppy1 View Post
Yeah and you need a manicure too,lol. Sorry about your finger though.....
HAHA
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:31 AM   #18
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
a troubling point
the wind blows the yaris door
dents make me angry

[cue mysterious japanese music]
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote