Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-17-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
jstantherprsn

Drives: 01 Toyota Echo
Oil filter and oil

Hey everyone,

I went to change my oil today and I'm going to be using 5w-40W full synthetic. I used synthetic on my other cars, for years now and won't go back. I realized i needed an oil filter cap so I had to stop my attempt today after I made some wood blocks. Does anyone know of an over sized filter that will work. I plan on replacing it with an m1-103 by mobil 1. I like there filters and I've seen the cut away pics of the filters and am happy with what I see. I saw somewhere that that m1-209 might be a suitable replacement. I read somewhere that its just longer then the original. Anyone try the 209 filter or know of something else?
jstantherprsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
bankrobber

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Not sure what you mean by an "oil filter cap" 5w-40w seems a bit thick. Especially with winter. 5w-30w should do. Being synthetic I believe you can go a little thinner then dyno oil. I like the M1-103 filter also. Just hate spending 12 bucks for it. Amsoil also makes filters that should be close in cost to the Mobil filters although I never priced one.
Napa Gold are excellent filters also.
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Why 5W-40? Won't that strain the engine more during the frigid PA winter?
I use the good ol' Toyota OEM filters for 30K now and no probs...

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:23 PM   #4
mimelio

Drives: NOTHING
I use Mobil 1 5W-30 and either a Purolator PureONE L14476 or NAPA Gold 1394 or (Wix 51394). The NAPA Gold is a re-badged Wix 51394. A Mobil 1 103 filter is also an option as it is of excellent quality. I generally get a PureONE or NAPA Gold on sale for $5.00 and the one that is on sale will dictate which one I use at that time. Unfortunately I never see the Mobil 1 filter for less than $12.00.
mimelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:09 AM   #5
jstantherprsn

I dunno I like the extra wear properties of the 40W. Since I have a turbo diesel as well I could 50/50 and not put entirely 40W in. What size oil filter end cap do you use to get the filter off? Mobil 1 says the filter is 69mm. No one makes one without buying a complete specialty thing.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
jstantherprsn

The only reason I'm asking is because I'm new to these types of cars. I'm used to rebuilding older jeeps and stuff. I've never had to deal with filter end caps to get oil filters off. The previous owner of this car had all the service done at the dealership. I've read the board here and learned the dealership puts the filters on tight. I wasn't about to put a screw driver through the filter to try and get it off. I saw that you needed these end cap things because my band filter wrench was too big.

i'm still trying to deal with the car being so low. I had it jacked all the way up with the screw jack that came with the car and I still couldn't fit my 3 ton jack stands under the body rails.

Speaking of oil, the drain plug. Are the stock drain plugs magnetic? I saw someone was offering replacements that were magnetic. Their claim was the stock unit isn't magnetic. A look at the napa says its not magnetic for the replacement they offer. The company offering the plug is gold plug. It seems a tad bit longer and I'm wondering if there are any clearance issues because they say you need the washer they provide. I'm just tempted to go to ac more or something and just get a neo (rare earth)mag and just place it on the oil filter instead.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:15 AM   #7
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
My only hangup with the Napa Gold/Wix filters are the smallish size of their element, due to the design of their BP valve. And their pleating is spaced kind of loosely, if you ask me.

While in Napa, save yourself some money and check out their Nippon Ultra-8 import line filter instead.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #8
jstantherprsn

anyone know anything about the oil pan bolts. The bolts are heavily corroded on mine and I want to replace them. I rather replace them now then wait and one day have to pull the pan and break a bolt.

I've noticed alot of my hardware has a white film, indicating that the zine plating is wearing off. Since there is alot of aluminum is there a problem with using stainless steel bolts?
Old 10-18-2010, 08:40 PM   #9
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
The factory drain plug on my 09 was non magnetic.

If you have a turbo diesel and have the 5W-40 anyway and just want to use one oil for both I'd go for it. The Yaris uses 15W-40 in other parts of the world and the cold properties of the 5W-40 are much better. Besides losing a few 10ths of a mile per gallon your Yaris won't mind a bit.

The cap wrench you need for the oil filter is a 65 mm, 14 flute. Definitely want to go with a cap style IMO.

I'm a little gunshy on oversize oil filters unless I can get exact specs for bypass settings, flow rates etc. Some filters will physically fit but be lacking or improper in other ways. If all the specs are appropriate it should be ok but I would evaluate risk vs gain.

As for jacking the car up I've found that the plug and filter are such an easy reach I have an easier time leaving the car on level ground and reaching under. When I do want to get underneath I use ramps-easier and safer IMO.

Hope you enjoy your Yaris-they are very user friendly little units in my experience so far.

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:28 AM   #10
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
One thing I didn't specify above in regards to the 5W-40; I'd prefer a low SAPS variant that meets CJ-4.
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:31 AM   #11
jstantherprsn

Yea i went to the store prior to checking the board and found the 65mm does fit the mobil m1-103 filter just fine, just press it on and it wont slip.

As for the over size filter my experience is that it improves the flow and get more crude out. People say that if you go with a high flow filter that you need a better filter because more dirty/grim enters at the expense of better flow. Maybe the next filter i'll try is that 209 and I'll update the thread. Since I acquired the car and switching to synthetic I'll be changing the filter in a month or so.

Yea separately there is a turbo diesel (non yaris) so I had 3 bottles extra of 5w-40 laying around. I figured on using 1 or 2 bottles of the 5w-40w with my rislone and a bottle of 5w-20 I picked up.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:55 AM   #12
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
If you want to use an oversized filter, get one for a Corolla/Matrix with either the 1ZZ or 2ZZ engine. It's the same filter only about an inch longer. My parents have a Matrix with the 2ZZ and we get our filters by the case from Toyota so that's how I know. We used to get 2 different cases until I noticed the filter is the same only longer. I've been using the larger filters for roughly 70-80K km.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote