Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-13-2014, 04:06 PM   #415
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Gonna go with r1r. I love my rs3 but unavailable right now
Old 02-14-2014, 04:17 PM   #416
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
Good choice. After my stint with the Rivals I'm probably gonna go back to the R1R unless someone else makes something as functional with lightweight cars.
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:35 PM   #417
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
I found the R1R's wore too fast compared to RS3's or Rival's, can't comment on dry grip. I remember them being excellent in the wet though
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:13 PM   #418
Blown_xa

Drives: Scion xA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperoni View Post
I found the R1R's wore too fast compared to RS3's or Rival's, can't comment on dry grip. I remember them being excellent in the wet though
They do wear quite quickly. And wet performance is amazing as long as the tread depth is decent , I agree. I think Toyo's treadware standard is differs in the case that their 140 tw rating is a softer compound than competitors 140 tw rating. Treadware rating is only good for comparing tires of the same brand really.

Ptuning.com
Blown_xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:44 AM   #419
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
what about the direzzas?

Comparing the 225s to the 195s is there a noticeable power drain or any decreased acceleration from the extra rubber?

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:55 PM   #420
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

The Toyos are smaller tires so they effectively gear down the car allowing for better acceleration if only a bit.
As far as grip goes, there all pretty similar, they have different handling characteristics, but generally for camber challenged cars you'll want the z2 or Rivals, as the Toyos need more a ton of camber to work to their fullest.

I also found the Toyos wore pretty badly, but didn't feel all that great when driving them, that and they seemed to have this sharp curve around 2-3/32 where grip disappeared.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:36 AM   #421
ilikerice

went with the R1R. Picked 2 up sunday. good tip on the 2/32 wear mark. Will run the toyo's up front for a bit and the hankooks in the back. May switch it up a bit during the season.

Got 3 autocross weekends back to back. This weekend is my region, saturday a novice school and sunday will be our 2nd event of the year, March 9th weekend me and my wife are visiting friends up in Knocksville TN and will do their autocross event that sunday, and then march 15-16 is our region dixie tour in Valdosta GA. Can't wait. Glad I got the tires when I did
Old 03-01-2014, 03:05 AM   #422
ilikerice

I'll be running in East Tennessee Region next weekend at Pellissippi State in Knockville TN.

anyone here in that area?
Old 03-02-2014, 01:30 PM   #423
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

A bit of irony,my first event in the rain with my rivals also is the first event I've been happy with them. New rear shocks worked wonders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PlsV0SoP_ew

Last edited by xnamerxx; 03-02-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:41 AM   #424
ilikerice

Nice xnamerxx, Can't watch at work, will hve to wait til I get home.
Did you go with the 205 or the 225 rivals?

My first time with R1R.. They like LOW psi... dropped mine all the way down to 30psi.. and my rear was RS3 at 50psi.

These tires do not talk back.. its either amazing grip, or exceeded grip. Trying to find that breaking point which you get max grip but if you push it too hard, felt like I hit puddles of water.

A pro national guy had a light blue Mini Cooper running in STF came to run with us. Name is Joseph Austin. Real nice humble guy. He beat me by .1 of a second.. Not bad if I do say so myself. I did have riders on all 5 runs though.. so I could have gotten a better time but you never know. maybe their ballast helped me in those right hand turns.

All in all, I say I do like the R1R but I definitly prefer the RS3, I may keep 2 R1R on rims for a rainy day, I hear they are the best for rain tires.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:10 PM   #425
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

I originally bought 205 but had multiple tire failures and went with the 225. Not happy with them and they're just about dead now, so I'll be replacing them with something else soon. I really wanna get RS3 but I don't think that'll be an option till after nationals.

Yeah I ran the R1R at 27psi. One thing to note, if there making noise your doing something wrong.

Joe is a super fast driver when he's clean. Congrats on getting within a tenth of him, I've yet to get that close. Hopefully I can take him down at San Diego this year but we'll see.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:42 AM   #426
ilikerice

http://buccaneerregion.org/ce-2-14.html

Results got posted this morning. We had 95 drivers out on sunday. new record for us. Last month we had 87. This is becoming a big year in our region. Alot of new guys showing up.

Placed 6th place out of 95 in pax. Not bad on new tires. Joseph got me by .125 of a second. His fastest run was his first. Thats impressive.

There is a debate right now weather or not Scott Hurley got a cone on his fastest lap. Some people say they saw him hit it but wasn't called in from a corner worker.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:28 PM   #427
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx View Post
A bit of irony,my first event in the rain with my rivals also is the first event I've been happy with them. New rear shocks worked wonders.
I ALMOST made it to this one! Yaris was ready to go...but my back wasn't. I'm still hurt from when I threw out my back in November. The morning session, mixed with rain didn't help either. UGH... maybe next time.

Oh, on the R1R topic, on my STC civic, they grip all the way down to the cords. Yes, I've tried it. ;)
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:02 PM   #428
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
So the question is H Stock (proper with race tires) or STF... 2014 Corolla S.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:57 PM   #429
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
So the question is H Stock (proper with race tires) or STF... 2014 Corolla S.

STF!!
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #430
Blown_xa

Drives: Scion xA
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjesus View Post
I ALMOST made it to this one! Yaris was ready to go...but my back wasn't. I'm still hurt from when I threw out my back in November. The morning session, mixed with rain didn't help either. UGH... maybe next time.

Oh, on the R1R topic, on my STC civic, they grip all the way down to the cords. Yes, I've tried it. ;)
yep, I run mine till they cord. Anyone around here will tell you, toyos are quickest right before they cord. They don't seem to heat cycle out. They need camber, I ran -3.3 up front and they wore even. This was with 450lb springs AND larger front sway bar.

Ptuning.com
Blown_xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:00 PM   #431
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

I ran them mostly in San Deigo which is an asphalt site. I've been told by many people my experience was typical for that site and full tread tires are a must.

For the Corolla hmm HSR doesn't sound like fun, skinny R comps on skinny wheels with no camber gain. Might break a record for fewest runs before cording
Old 03-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #432
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx View Post

For the Corolla hmm HSR doesn't sound like fun, skinny R comps on skinny wheels with no camber gain. Might break a record for fewest runs before cording
Skinny Rs? 225s are easy, if the fenders will take a 245 could be pinched on those wheels. Like all Toyotas it should get crash bolts, so while it main not gain any it should start with -2, which is much better than the tire shredding Mini. That is a lot of car to make go on skinny street tires.