Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-13-2010, 01:52 AM   #1
kac

Drives: 2009 Meteorite 3dr
Cruise Control Went Out Tonight... Please help.

On my way home from work tonight (1 hour commute each way) I noticed I could not get my cruise control to do anything. This is stock cruise control for my 09 yaris hatchback that I use almost everyday. I messed with it for quite a while and could not get it to engage at all.

Where do I need to begin to look for the problem?
kac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:45 AM   #2
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Are your brake lights on while you're not pushing the pedal?
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:54 AM   #3
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
check for blown fuse..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Is it factory OEM (stalk on right of steering wheel) or Dealer OEM (AKA Rostra - stalk on left side of steering wheel)? That will make a huge difference in direction for troubleshooting.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #5
kac

It's on the right side of the steering wheel. It appeared to me on my way home today that the cruise control works until I turn the headlights on... then nothing.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:08 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kac View Post
It's on the right side of the steering wheel. It appeared to me on my way home today that the cruise control works until I turn the headlights on... then nothing.
OK. So, it's the factory OEM version, and I see that you have a MT. The headlight piece is strange, as the two are in no way connected, but it could be a mechanical (i.e. loose connector issue).

I would check the following (in order based on ease of access):

1. Stop lamp switch (on the top of the brake pedal arm). Make sure that it isn't triggering too easily (jostle the brake pedal, while having someone watch the taillights).

2. Clutch switch (on the top of the clutch pedal arm). Make sure that is staying triggered, until the clutch is pressed. It's mount is adjustable, so make sure it hasn't loosened up and backed out a bit.

3. Fuses - Check STOP and ECU-IG (in the under dash fuse panel).

4. Finally, check the cruise control/horn connector on the steering column to make sure it is seated properly and that the pins for blue and brown wires are nicely seated (the connector is next to the headlight stalk one with a black, brown and a blue wire).
Old 06-14-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
kac

is the top of these pedal arms gonna be under the hood or inside the car?
Old 06-14-2010, 10:03 PM   #8
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Inside the car. One example would be in this DIY pdf file page 4:
DIY Cruise Control by Vince87

Or this one:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23510
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:46 AM   #9
POORSHA

Drives: 2008 LB
it is the rear bulbs( driving light). I had the same problem, the system can tell if a bulb is out that is why it will work with the headlights off.
POORSHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:56 AM   #10
kac

Hmmm... I changed out the bulbs to LED's and it thinks the bulbs are out. That's dumb cuz I know they're not out... What to do now...
Old 06-17-2010, 11:36 AM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Actually, the two taillights and the 3rd brake light are all paralleled together, and the ECM doesn't have an input for measuring the current draw to detect a bulb being out.

What have you checked so far?
Old 06-18-2010, 02:19 PM   #12
POORSHA

Drives: 2008 LB
i had switched to leds and the cruise stopped working as soon as i went back to standard bulbs it worked fine. I can't tell you why but that is my experience?
POORSHA is offline   Reply With Quote