Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-28-2018, 10:08 PM   #1
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
First trackday(s)! Driver training course

Not much point to this post, but figured I would go over my first trackday in the Yaris.

I signed up for a driver's training course to work towards my competition license. The Yaris is more reliable/quiet than the Seven, so it got the honours/punishment of our local track. Local track is Mission Raceway which is infamous for being brutal on brakes. I'm told there is no other track worse on the west coast. Three day course; one in class, two driving. Classroom was not overly interesting, but still useful. Day one was morning drills (one corner at a time, slalom, etc) then slow, moderate, fast lapping sessions. Really, the Yaris was full pace halfway through the slow session but no one could tell probably . Instructor did some laps in the car to start off and show the lines etc. Second day was several sessions, and one low-speed passing exercise where they showed how to block people into corners.

Yaris was on NT01 tires, and HPS pads. The pads did not survive the day. They still have plenty of lining, but it burned off all the lower temp friction material. Still stop well, just need to push harder. The car impressed some of the other students; I overheard "How can a Yaris be so fast?" a couple of times so I think it performed well.

My driving was OK. There was some miscommunication between my Instructor and I regarding braking which left me confused and frustrated for a while. I don't think he realized just how late the Yaris can brake. I also had to remind myself that it was my first time on a track and I couldn't expect as much out of myself as I was. After that, we opted to have me run w/o the instructor on board and I started to be able to concentrate on the lines better.

Recap of the track:
Turn 1 (end of straight): heavy braking from around 150kph and try not to turn in too early. The braking is something else....
2: pretty easy, just late apex and let the car push out to the wall
3: This turn was my bane. Very tough to get the car slowed down and then turned and on gas. I need better control when releasing the brake.
4: Scary in the soft-sprung Yaris. Seriously..... I felt fear for the first time in a long time. Just a dab of brake to transfer weight then back WOT and immediately brake HARD for 5 (while staring at a tirewall). I need stiffer springs for it.
5: no apex or speed to be had here, just get around tight and get set up and on throttle for 6.
6: full throttle
7a/7b (chicane): gotta get on the backside of these to set up for 8. Do NOT clip the left curb.
8/9: as long as you did 7 correct this is WOT for the entire thing. If you got 7 wrong, car will try to exit the track at speed. Got caught a few times here.... bit scary.

Dashcam video:

Probably my best laps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIUDkrlkcVk

Pretty sure the Miata girl peed a little :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGt__D5Ox1g&t=
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:01 AM   #2
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
Wow! Yeah I would have moved up from the hps pads for the higher temp ranges. But yes I get alot of the same reactions. It's essentially a fwd miata. Good tires and suspension really make it so you power through everything.
Runethecursed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:40 AM   #3
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:06 AM   #4
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
Awesome dude! Those Nitto tires are super noisy!
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:13 PM   #5
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
awsome man, looks like fun. I love chasing around higher HP cars and staying on their tail through out all of the corners. Most people seems to scoff or not care less about my car when I show up to the track but after a few sessions they typically come over wanting to talk about what it has under the hood and what the suspension set up is. Nothing more humbling than driving a high hp car and having a street legal Yaris all over your ass that you cannot shake!

I run HPS pads and have had no issues. They definitely are not as grabby after a track day or two on them as they are when brand new, but stomp hard enough and they will stop your car and handle the heat well.

IMO it's one of the best pads to run as you can DD on them without them squealing and they are priced low so replacing them is no big deal. I found them almost too grabby when I first installed them and DD them as the abs would kick on like crazy.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:11 PM   #6
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Yeah the NT01s are noisy. Big square treadblocks. Sounds like an electric car in the video :þ They have good grip and last a very long time so I'm happy with them. I daily drive them so I really don't notice the sound, but when someone new gets in my car they usually ask "what's that noise?".

In hindsight I probably should have installed a designated track pad prior to the event and swapped back afterwards. I wasn't sure what to expect because everyone says the Yaris has good brakes (and it does), but this track is nasty on them. I'm still driving with the cooked HPS on. I don't mind them as is because the pedal feel is more consistent; though it does make the squishy rubber hoses more obvious. I'll keep an eye on them for crumbling but I think they will stay together.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote