Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Asia
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-27-2007, 08:46 PM   #73
leowhy

Drives: Yaris 1.5G
how's the trash out in pasir gudang?
Old 06-30-2007, 07:06 AM   #74
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
The day started out wet, grey and gloomy, but when we got to the track after lunch, the track was bone-dry, it was as cool as we can expect for a tropical afternoon, and it was all good to go for the track!

In a bid to avoid stressing the car too much I planned only 5 laps each time I went out in addition to one warm up lap and one cooldown lap. I found the car suffered from a lot of corner entry understeer, maybe I was just entering corners way too fast. But the brakes held up and felt good for the duration of each run.

I also paced a Suzuki Swift Sport down the straight and found that the Yaris doesn't give up very much in terms of straightline speed. As my 5 laps were up, I didn't stay with him long enough to see if its cornering was better than mine, but I would feel that would be the case.

I got a little bit faster max speed than Marc (nurburgring) (I recorded a 154kph down the back straight). However I suffered from pretty bad understeer which resulted in quite a lot of front tire scrub. Didn't really cross my mind to reduce tire pressures till toward the end of the session, when I really didn't want to go out anymore.

Also had a run with a Proton Gen 2 Coupe/Satria which was surprisingly quick. I could overtake him (and he graciously gave way) but I found it hard to shake him and pushed too hard trying to lose him. He may have just wanted to follow me instead of being followed by me! Haha..

I clocked a similar lap time to Marc, he is very smooth and consistent while I was all over the place. In addition I was making mistakes all over the place. So technically I had the marginally faster car (manual vs. auto), but he was the better driver.

I clocked near 20 laps. I went into JB with 3/4 of a tank, and filled up on the way home (I did 12.5km/litre which is not bad considering I was on high revs all the time I was on track). That, and quite a lot of Michelin rubber I'd left on the track, plus a bit of coolant lost. I didn't feel that my car was flexing too much, although I felt that the car hops a little through high-G corners when the suspension starts bottoming out.

Hopefully we will see a better turnout next time.

A few photos to show that we were there (too busy tracking to take action pics)

Getting ready to go in!

Having an empty boot makes for a lighter car.

Post tracking and its time for the cars to hit the showers!

One of our friends......

......is Takumi!
TTE Lowering Springs, Camber bolts
TRD Blue brake pads
Fujitsubo Super Wagolis axleback exhaust
DC Sports header
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:15 AM   #75
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
that black one with the smoked out rear fog/turn signal looks real good!

and say hi to Takumi for me pls... he's my hero, can he send me some tofu?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:58 PM   #76
leowhy

so that is indeed an AE86... :)

cleong, i remmeber u lowered the spring of ur yaris right? still experince understeer? hmm... guest mine will be worse since its still in stock condition? BTW, do u add any strut bar/antiroll bar?
the highest i got on straight roads so far is around 140kph only... haven't really stress my car too much yet... :P

one more question... from the photo, why i get the impression that the black yaris looks "longer" compare to the silver one? isiist just my eye?
Old 07-01-2007, 11:45 PM   #77
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Enter any corner way too fast/hot and you will experience understeer. That was what happened to me. I really should have been using my brakes a lot more to slow the car down and transfer some weight to the front (steering) wheels in order to negotiate the bends. I have no strut bars and I am still waiting for a proper rear antiroll bar (Ultra Racing's ARB look very poorly designed).

The black car looks longer because it has an aftermarket bodykit. Out of the three Yaris that did laps, two of them were automatics, only mine was manual.
TRD Blue brake pads
DC Sports header
Old 07-05-2007, 02:00 PM   #78
strayato.hirzaki

Drives: Yaris 1.5S
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlsoh View Post
Hi, Strayato if u r looking for choices of rims, than the right place for u to look is in Klang town. There's a lot of rim shops in Klang.
thanks for the heads up, soh. ppl call Klang as "Wheels Paradise" LOLX, and i guess i'm about to find that fact out on this coming weekend

i was at Wing Hin Motorsports @ Jalan Loke Yew a few weeks ago and i do agree that they carries alot of optional upgrades for our "rabbits" well, at least they are carrying authentic TRD parts (minus the blood-slashin prices). nuff said, if you have the moolah to spend, head right over to Wing Hin Motorsport and splurge it all on those TRD accs you could lay your hand on
strayato.hirzaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:09 AM   #79
leowhy

Quote:
Originally Posted by strayato.hirzaki View Post
thanks for the heads up, soh. ppl call Klang as "Wheels Paradise" LOLX, and i guess i'm about to find that fact out on this coming weekend

i was at Wing Hin Motorsports @ Jalan Loke Yew a few weeks ago and i do agree that they carries alot of optional upgrades for our "rabbits" well, at least they are carrying authentic TRD parts (minus the blood-slashin prices). nuff said, if you have the moolah to spend, head right over to Wing Hin Motorsport and splurge it all on those TRD accs you could lay your hand on
hi bro, since u visited the shop, wonder iff u notice what kind of accessories that they have specifically for our Yaris?

my personal interests are (some i realized from bro etimago's link :P):
1) bodykit + spoiler
2) cargo net
3) front & rear cushion cover sets
4) proper HID set (not only lamp but include proper reflectors, HID shield, & headlight glass)
5) LED rear light set?
6) retractable side mirrors with LED signal indicators?
7) electrochromic rear view mirror?
8) additional speakers (just like in 1.5S?)
9) rear disc brake (just like in 1.5S? )

do they supply all these?
thanks in advance...

added: 10) steering wheel with control buttons... :P
Old 07-22-2007, 01:09 PM   #80
strayato.hirzaki

oh, they do carries an impressive range of optional upgrade for yaris. the dude there show me a digital offline catalog and it was such a long list. i did ask them to quote me for the following items :-

1. front RS bumper
2. rear RS bumper with rear foglamps
3. RS taillight
4. TRD 17" 5 spoke wheel
5. TRD lowering springs

and ZOMGBBQSAUCE! the amount came up to 10k+! (exclusive of installation and paint job) so uhh, i was thinking to head over to sunway's modding heaven and see if i could get a better pricing there. well, if you have enquiries, you could drop them a call @ +603.9221 6168 / 3168 :)
Old 07-22-2007, 07:37 PM   #81
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

In Singapore, F/R RS bumpers cost between S$1400-2000. The RS tailight is S$300+, TRD wheel is probably the killer item. Why not go with a light set of SSR or Volks or something? TRD springs are around S$500+ but you can get Tanabes/Teins around S$400 fitted.
TRD Blue brake pads
DC Sports header
Old 07-23-2007, 01:42 AM   #82
leowhy

Quote:
Originally Posted by strayato.hirzaki View Post
oh, they do carries an impressive range of optional upgrade for yaris. the dude there show me a digital offline catalog and it was such a long list. i did ask them to quote me for the following items :-

1. front RS bumper
2. rear RS bumper with rear foglamps
3. RS taillight
4. TRD 17" 5 spoke wheel
5. TRD lowering springs

and ZOMGBBQSAUCE! the amount came up to 10k+! (exclusive of installation and paint job) so uhh, i was thinking to head over to sunway's modding heaven and see if i could get a better pricing there. well, if you have enquiries, you could drop them a call @ +603.9221 6168 / 3168 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleong View Post
In Singapore, F/R RS bumpers cost between S$1400-2000. The RS tailight is S$300+, TRD wheel is probably the killer item. Why not go with a light set of SSR or Volks or something? TRD springs are around S$500+ but you can get Tanabes/Teins around S$400 fitted.
WOW!!! that's expansive...

guess that's the price we hae to pay to get "improvements"...
gotta work alot harder d...
Old 07-23-2007, 10:53 AM   #83
strayato.hirzaki

Quote:
hmm, true true. yeah, i had my eyes on some OZ wheels, kinda fancy them but i heard it's not really practical for driving around town filled with potholes and uneven road as those tiny puny shaft will get dented and crooked easily. yup, i'll heed your advice, most probably, will go for Tanabe NF210 / DF210 for that perfect drop
Old 07-24-2007, 08:46 AM   #84
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

OZ Superleggeras? They're light and sensibly priced. I guess if you used a tire with a tallish sidewall and enough air pressure you'll get away with most of the hammering. I'm of the opinion that the good lightweight Japanese forged rims are designed for track use and would stand up to day to day driving easily. It is the lightweight Taiwanese rims that distort over time.
TRD Blue brake pads
DC Sports header
Old 08-12-2007, 03:26 AM   #85
rx100

Drives: yaris hatch
Quote:
We have a group of Yaris owners in Singapore also - hope the mods don't mind me posting the link to the forum.

http://www.yarisclub.com.sg

We're planning to drive into Malaysia soon and would love to meet up with fellow Yaris owners in Malaysia.

Maybe the Thais can come meet up too.

How does a rendezvous in Cameron Highlands sound???
so when is the trip cameron??
hopefully can meet some yaris from MY too..
rx100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:20 AM   #86
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
OZ Superleggeras? They're light and sensibly priced. I guess if you used a tire with a tallish sidewall and enough air pressure you'll get away with most of the hammering. I'm of the opinion that the good lightweight Japanese forged rims are designed for track use and would stand up to day to day driving easily. It is the lightweight Taiwanese rims that distort over time.
Indeed, pay close attention to the top part of my rim:

Although that was the result of an unfortunate encounter with a large reflective block thing in the middle of the road, I had to swerve to avoid a stupid bike, and CONK!

Thankfully it's just the outside lip of the rim, the damage is basically only cosmetic...

I'm going for 16" next time

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:13 AM   #87
rx100

Drives: yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Indeed, pay close attention to the top part of my rim:

Although that was the result of an unfortunate encounter with a large reflective block thing in the middle of the road, I had to swerve to avoid a stupid bike, and CONK!

Thankfully it's just the outside lip of the rim, the damage is basically only cosmetic...

I'm going for 16" next time
i'm using Advan RGII 16"...
rx100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:44 AM   #88
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Friends from Malaysia, how say you guys? A rendezvous at Cameron Highlands, and a blat through the winding roads in and around the area (particular Gua Musang)?
TRD Blue brake pads
DC Sports header
Old 08-14-2007, 11:01 PM   #89
leowhy

Quote:
Friends from Malaysia, how say you guys? A rendezvous at Cameron Highlands, and a blat through the winding roads in and around the area (particular Gua Musang)?
when will that be bro?

planning for me is slightly difficult but not impossible... (actually had a 3.5month old son & only my wife & i taking care of him whole days during every weekends... )

personally, my choice would be the later the better as the BB will grow a little older & less "singing" intervals...
Old 08-15-2007, 08:03 AM   #90
Safariworld

Drives: Yaris S
Sorry, didn't notice the earlier post about Cameron Highlands. (The forum is banned at word due to one of the threads that started using lots of swear words :P)

Yeah, I would like to meet up at Cameron Highlands. When are the Singaporeans planning to do that?
Safariworld is offline   Reply With Quote