Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-11-2007, 03:46 AM   #1
ToTo

Drives: Toyota Yaris T SPORT
Tein Basic Damper Coliey's Vs. Tein S. Tech Springs

Hi guys! Im gonna have a lot of questions, sorry about that, I would just like to know...

Currently I'm on basic T-Sport shocks and TTE springs. Im satisfied with the ride comfort, which is not harsh and not bouncy at all, but I'm unsatisfied with the level of drop which in my opinion is not -3cm as promised, but rather close to -2cm/-2.5cm instead. I would like it to be lower and fill in the remaining gap in the arches...

I'm thinking about the Tein coilovers or the Tein springs. What are the pro's and con's of both setups? What is the level of drop of the coilovers? If I get the coilovers and drop the car all the way down, then would I have to get a camber kit or anything else to strengthen the suspension? Would the coilovers in the long run cause any damage to anything if I leave the car low or drop it all the way? How do I know on coilovers the level of drop when switching height, is there something which marks the level when I switch height? What is the best height to have the car on coilovers to be safe? How is the ride comfort compared, is it bouncy or harsh? Is it easy or difficult to change the ride height, can it be done rather easily, do I just have to jack up the car and use the forks and thats it? Will I need the arches to be curled so the tires don't rub? Would I need allignment everytime I switch the height?

With the springs, I know in the front it would be around -3.5cm and -3.8cm in the rear. How is the ride comfort compared to stock and TTE perhaps? How about the Tein springs with the stock T-Sport dampers in the long run, will it cause the dampers to leak or go out?

I know there is a large difference in price, but which is better overall, I would like to keep running 15's and would not like to rub, would arches need to be curled or rolled on either setup? Most importantly though, I dont want to bounce up and down like a rubber ball or a yoyo with either setup.

Does anybody have experience with the Tein Basic coilovers, is it bouncy or harsh at all for everyday use? How about just the Tein S. Tech Springs?

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2007, 08:27 AM   #2
Blenjar

Drives: Black Yaris 07 HB
Send a message via AIM to Blenjar
OH sweet, good topic..i want to know too.

-- Blen
Blenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:15 AM   #3
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Tein Basics are great for everyday use. The only con is the added cost, but they ride great, and handle very good on the street.

My experience with S techs is that they are generally too soft. In the yaris that may not be the case, since it has soft dampning to begin with. I'm sure they will ride well, but may have a bit more body roll than other springs. I'm not sure how much of a handling benefit you are looking for VS. asthetics.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:19 AM   #4
aucorium
AKA Samurai Racer

Drives: Yaris 2006
Send a message via MSN to aucorium
wasup guys

im gonna be investing in a set of coilover Tein system soon.I am selling them aswell , so when i have it installed , i'll let you guys know.

check my site out ... www.jdmtuner.co.za
aucorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:23 AM   #5
ToTo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aucorium View Post
wasup guys

im gonna be investing in a set of coilover Tein system soon.I am selling them aswell , so when i have it installed , i'll let you guys know.

check my site out ... www.jdmtuner.co.za
Great! Your going to buy them and then sell them? A little off topic, but by the way, since your in South Africa, do you have the Dastek Unichip installed? I think thats where the headquarters are, right?
Old 04-11-2007, 12:08 PM   #6
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Yea I want to know about the unichip as well! I might have to go through the US distributor though. They are in Oregon.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:58 PM   #7
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
i just installed the S.Tech's in my S. the ride's not that much stiffer (would like it to be more stiff). the times where i can notice a difference is in cornering. i don't feel any body roll. then again, i also got the Tanabe strut bar and TRD shocks...
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 02:00 PM   #8
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
i want to lowered my sedan s down about 1.5 to 1.9 inches but still want to keep the feel as it now (i mean not bouncy) any idea? S Tein Springs plus TRD Shock?
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:08 PM   #9
ToTo

bump
Old 04-15-2007, 09:37 PM   #10
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal1984 View Post
i want to lowered my sedan s down about 1.5 to 1.9 inches but still want to keep the feel as it now (i mean not bouncy) any idea? S Tein Springs plus TRD Shock?
my friends think this combination is bumpy (this is what i have now). myself, i want it to be a little more stiffer/bouncy. although, you can really feel pot-holes and cracks on the road with this combo.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:38 PM   #11
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
my friends think this combination is bumpy (this is what i have now). myself, i want it to be a little more stiffer/bouncy. although, you can really feel pot-holes and cracks on the road with this combo.
whoo, thanks for telling me before i'm going out there and get one.
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:42 AM   #12
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal1984 View Post
whoo, thanks for telling me before i'm going out there and get one.
i made a review of the TEIN, TRD, and Tanabe parts that i have. you can read it and see if it further helps you.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:09 AM   #13
Toymaniac
Adm.ClubYarisQuebec.com

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan Aero group
My 2 cents on those setups...

Ok it was not on a yaris but rather on a Echo Hatchback (970kg)

I had koni yellow with s-tech spring that set up was way to soft

then had some tein ha/ss those were great only thing even 4kg an 3.1kg springs were still to soft... in my taste...

now the yaris is a bit overweight compared to the echo..so i'm just presuming that for my taste the tein basic will be to soft

this is why i'm looking more towards the megan coilovers...

overall tough Tein is a very good product to have on your car

2007 Yaris sedan Barcelona Red
TRD Swaybar
TRD Springs
Tanabe Strutbar
Toymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:51 AM   #14
ToTo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymaniac View Post
My 2 cents on those setups...

Ok it was not on a yaris but rather on a Echo Hatchback (970kg)

I had koni yellow with s-tech spring that set up was way to soft

then had some tein ha/ss those were great only thing even 4kg an 3.1kg springs were still to soft... in my taste...

now the yaris is a bit overweight compared to the echo..so i'm just presuming that for my taste the tein basic will be to soft

this is why i'm looking more towards the megan coilovers...

overall tough Tein is a very good product to have on your car
Do you think the Tein Basic coilovers will bounce and be rough for everyday driving or do you think they will be ok since their kind of soft? Unfortunately, there is a lot of uneven pavement, cracks, bumps and potholes around here so I hope tha Tein Basic wont make me bounce around like a rubber ball or yoyo...
Old 04-16-2007, 12:58 PM   #15
Toymaniac
Adm.ClubYarisQuebec.com

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan Aero group
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTo View Post
Do you think the Tein Basic coilovers will bounce and be rough for everyday driving or do you think they will be ok since their kind of soft? Unfortunately, there is a lot of uneven pavement, cracks, bumps and potholes around here so I hope tha Tein Basic wont make me bounce around like a rubber ball or yoyo...
they would be very good for your application

2007 Yaris sedan Barcelona Red
TRD Swaybar
TRD Springs
Tanabe Strutbar
Toymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:08 AM   #16
ToTo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymaniac View Post
they would be very good for your application
Thanks a lot!
Old 04-20-2007, 06:45 PM   #17
hystria

Drives: 2007 Orange Yaris Hb 3Drs
at 4K in front, the basic coilovers will be quite stiff especially with those non-adjustable shocks. nice on quality roads, but will make you feel every road imperfection if there are some. too bad tein doesn't sell SS coilovers for Yaris
hystria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 03:11 AM   #18
ToTo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hystria View Post
at 4K in front, the basic coilovers will be quite stiff especially with those non-adjustable shocks. nice on quality roads, but will make you feel every road imperfection if there are some. too bad tein doesn't sell SS coilovers for Yaris
Do you have the Basic Damper setup? If I feel every road imperfection, do you also mean the ride quality will be very harsh and very uncomfortable and bouncy, or it will be just a bit harsher than stock?