Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-13-2012, 12:14 AM   #73
r0m4ca3ped

Drives: 2007 Yaris
any ideas?
r0m4ca3ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #74
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0m4ca3ped View Post
Scott, appreciate the quick response. I do not understand what squib means. When I took the airbag out, I removed two connectors from it. There was an Orange connector and a black connector. What was interesting to me was that each connector had two pins, these stupid pins were shorted together. What was more interesting was that each pin had different color wires associated with it. Since both the Black connector and Orange connector's had their pins shorted, I thought I must be by design. But it didnt make sense as to why would Toyota use different wire but short them. Are these connectors should NOT have their pins shorted? Should I investigate and remedy the short within these connectors?
Squib is just a fancy name for the explosive portion of the airbag. The driver's side airbag has two squibs, hence the two connectors.

On the steering column end of the spiral cable when you pull the connector off the pins short together. So, you can leave that connector plugged in and check for no opens or shorts all the way back to the SRS ECU (which is located under the bottom of the center of the dash). You have to pull the center console to gain access to the connector on the SRS ECU.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #75
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Oh, and another thing - For testing the spiral cable, make sure that you do so with it in motion. It might require a second set of hands, but check for continuity while turning the steering wheel back and forth.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #76
r0m4ca3ped

Thanks, I will double check the spiral cable today. So, I am keep getting code 51 in a pattern and this if for spiral cable. However, today when my friend whom weighs probably 120 LB sat in the passenger seat, the airbag was off the entire time. But when I dropped her off, the stupid srs light came back on. Is there another code that I am not seeing? Thank YOu
Old 12-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #77
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thanks, I will double check the spiral cable today. So, I am keep getting code 51 in a pattern and this if for spiral cable. However, today when my friend whom weighs probably 120 LB sat in the passenger seat, the airbag was off the entire time. But when I dropped her off, the stupid srs light came back on. Is there another code that I am not seeing? Thank YOu
That is definitely odd. The codes relating to the passenger occupant classification system are all in the 30's.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #78
r0m4ca3ped

I sat there for a while and read about 11 to 12 codes and they were all 51. I dont understand what to do now.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #79
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I sat there for a while and read about 11 to 12 codes and they were all 51. I dont understand what to do now.
It might be worth having Toyota read it with the Techstream tool to see if there is better info available that way.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #80
El Tomas
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 Yaris
thanks CTScott
this post has been very helpful!!
fixed following instructions in post #2 of this thread
this is what it was:
Yaris 2008
car was involved in a light rear crash (broken bumper & tail light).
Airbag light ON, and passenger airbag OFF,

TOYOTA dealership wanted 108.00 dlls just to to pull out the codes,
and if possible another 80 dlls to delete the error codes, but they didn't guaranteed that by doing so would fix the problem

I pulled code 32 jumping terminals 4 & 13 on the OBD port
i changed this computer that is located right below the passenger seat.

voilą finally got the airbag light off!
I hope this info helps others save hundreds like i did
thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-03-24_23-21-23_179.jpg (49.0 KB, 168 views)
El Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #81
Yarflana

Drives: 2008 Base Model
My airbag light (not passenger light, but the red light in the dash) has been on since I cannot remember. I could care less as long as the car runs and has no other mechanical defects.
Yarflana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:47 AM   #82
mnbvczxc

Drives: 2007 Yaris 3Dr
I had been driving around wityh this problem for about a year now and decided to fix it with the help of your handy forum here. So I have a 2007 Yaris but could not find the service manual or even where to short the pins for a code read but the problem sounded just like the typical spiral cable thing. Here are some pictures to go along with the fix.

As you can see the Airbag light is on as well as the engine light, which I had just acquired in the last few days, probably gas cap or something?

actually I was hoping somebody could tell me where to look in this picture for the 2 points for reading the codes...

The culprit is the white ribbon cable seen here, as expected.

A closer look at the ribbon cable (spiral cable) reveals a worn strand in the cable which has created an open circuit.

I figured that I had nothing to lose to just solder it up along with a strand of thin copper wire embeded in the solder job. The remaining wire was cut away after the pic was taken.

So the car went back together a lot easier than it came apart. Lights out!

Last edited by mnbvczxc; 05-18-2013 at 03:08 AM.
mnbvczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #83
CTScott
ULTIMATE

^Nice. Did you put a piece of tape over that solder wad to keep it from rubbing through as the ribbon slides against itself?
Old 05-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #84
mnbvczxc

Drives: 2007 Yaris 3Dr
I should first say thanks for all of your postings Scott, they really made it obvious what I was after. I didn't put any tape there and quite honestly I'm not expecting another 200,000 from the fix but we'll see what happens. I did though put a layer of dielectric grease on the ribbon cable just because I did see a tiny bit of it on the cable when I had a closer look at it. It did seem kinda odd that the cable deteriorated in the middle of a full length with no other real wear spots so I kinda suspect that maybe a grain of sand or salt or something fairly rough must have got in there and proceeded to grind a hole in the cabling as I turned my steering wheel day after day. The case that protects this cable has a lose enough fit to allow such a thing to happen and it does kinda explain the odd location for the break, so no more eating McDonalds fries and driving :-(. Anyhow, again I must thank you for spending your time to write out these threads for us noobs to help save some cash and get to know our ride that much better.

Ron
mnbvczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #85
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Just want to say thanks to the post, and thanks to CTScott (AGAIN) for this information.

My airbag light went on intermittently and then constantly over the past month.

I used the paperclip method to get codes: 32, 43 and 51.

Noticed that sometimes the light would be off when I started, then turn on as soon as I rotated the steering wheel, so suspected steering wheel. CTScott confirmed suspicion :-)

Bought one off eBay for $45 shipped.

Installed just now; only issue I encountered was that after removing the 19mm bolt, the steering wheel was very stiff to get off.

Checking the old clockspring with a multi meter, it seems that one of the yellow wires must be connected to the other yellow wire. One yellow wire has no connection to any pins, but the other yellow wire has connection to two pins.

Anyway, thanks to this thread, fixed the airbag light for $45! Dealership quoted me $900 over the phone: $90 to read codes, $760 to fix it if it was the clock spring + tax.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:31 AM   #86
wilbrod

Drives: Yaris 2008 Hatchback
Nice picture and great fix!

I saw your question about how to short the pins. You are looking in the good area but not in the good spot. You have to look from underneath by where the pedals are to access the ODB-2 port. You don't need to remove the sunglasses drawers thing. The red square in picture is the port but you have to look at the other side of it, from below. See picture.

I must say thanks to OP for posting about the error 51. I shorted the pins, ordered a knock off clock spring off ebay and now the airbag light is off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MapleRidge-20130517-01090_zps2e23f615.jpg (184.2 KB, 141 views)
wilbrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:50 PM   #87
misolith

Drives: 2007
Clearing DTC after apparently resolving problem?
I have a 2007 Yaris with a DTC 51 that according to other posts on this list indicate a problem in the Clock Spring.

I just replaced the clock spring with a new one and I found that there seems to have been a short in the spring on the cables with the black connector terminal on the end of the clock spring.

I've replaced everything and there's now no continuity on the cables in the the orange or the black terminals of the new clock spring.

I turned on the car and it still shows a DTC 51. I disconnected the battery and the DTC is still 51.

Have you any other advice as to how this error might be cleared?
misolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #88
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by misolith View Post
Clearing DTC after apparently resolving problem?
I have a 2007 Yaris with a DTC 51 that according to other posts on this list indicate a problem in the Clock Spring.

I just replaced the clock spring with a new one and I found that there seems to have been a short in the spring on the cables with the black connector terminal on the end of the clock spring.

I've replaced everything and there's now no continuity on the cables in the the orange or the black terminals of the new clock spring.

I turned on the car and it still shows a DTC 51. I disconnected the battery and the DTC is still 51.

Have you any other advice as to how this error might be cleared?
I replied to your other post. There is no need to cross post in multiple threads.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #89
Camberix

Drives: Blue 3dr hatch
Just wanted to check in and report a successful clock spring replacement and SRS light fix. Thanks to Scott for your posts.

I jumpered the ODB2 port and got the usual code. I ordered a $50 aftermarket replacement clock spring off eBay, and it saved a bundle over Toyota OEM replacement. The nice thing about this part is that there is a window on the housing that show an orange tab when the mechanism is correctly centered. A removable plastic tab kept the unit centered during shipping.

The only thing I ran into was my Torx socket not fitting the factory hole on the steering wheel trim piece. Many normal 3/8" drive Torx T30 sockets are a little too wide to fit. I (carefully) took a Dremel sanding drum to the holes, and fixed that.

It's a shame that an airbag component is not an automatic lifetime warranty part. Some manufacturers warranty seatbelts for the life of the car. I hate to think what people have paid to fix this.
Camberix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:38 PM   #90
gopacks12

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan 5MT
Exclamation srs light on, Help anyone?

The SRS light comes on and stays on after I turn the wheel a few times as im driving. Once I park and later come back to the car the light is off and then it happens all over again after a few turns later.

I followed the instructions on this thread and used a paper clip to jump it and got 35, 51, 37.

I've attached a picture of the what the service manual says about these codes.
The only thing they all have in common is the Center Airbag Sensor Assembly.
Whats that?

I'm like a total rookie to this sorta stuff so if anyone out there with some knowledge or experience can help me i'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: png srs.png (48.3 KB, 102 views)
gopacks12 is offline   Reply With Quote