Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-22-2011, 04:43 AM   #1
TONIZZLE

Drives: Toyota
Persuade me to buy a Yaris!

Hello everyone,

I'm interested in trading in my '99 4Runner Limited 4X4 w/ 92K miles for an '09 Yaris S 5dr Hatch. I posted this in the 4Runner forum and ppl were thinking I was crazy. Well now I would like some opinions from the Yaris side.

The Yaris S has 11K miles, iPod interface, remote start, sunroof, cruise.

Here's where I need help:

1) I would have to finance to get the Yaris, but that's money I can save since the 4Runner is all paid.
2) The 4Runner is a beast in heavy rain and snow, and was pretty good in the 23" blizzard that occurred last Feb. (I'm in the midwest).
3) I would save at the pump with the Yaris of course, to the tune of $800~ per yr if I drive 10K miles.
4) The 4Runner has a solid resale value, and it seems the Yaris doesn't hold value that well.
5) The interior of the Yaris didn't impress me with all that cloth and plastic, compared to the 4Runner's leather and wood trim.
6) When test driving the Yaris I liked how peppy it was going 0-40mph. With the 4Runner it seems like I'm standing on the pedal to get a response.
7) The 4Runner's msrp was around $38K, and the Yaris' msrp was $18K.

That's all I can think of now. Feel free to share your opinions or comments. Thanks YarisWorld ppl.
TONIZZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:21 AM   #2
vector9mm

Drives: blue 08 hb
The Yaris has good resale and it doesn't matter anyway as you would be buying a used one and it is already devalued. I love my Yaris. I get about 35 mpg average. The only thing it needs is a rear sway bar to handle good if you drive the back roads.That's 150 bucks and 1/2 hour to install.
vector9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:42 AM   #3
DMZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
You are comparing a 4Runner to a Yaris?

I have a Tundra DC 4X4 SR5, but I would never compare it to my Yaris. They are two completely different vehicles that I use for different things. They are both great vehicles.

Buy the Yaris for fuel economy and low maintenance cost. Keep the 4Runner for bad weather and more comfort on long trips. If you expect the Yaris to replace your 4Runner, you are going to be disappointed.
DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:17 AM   #4
SailDesign

Drives: .
BUY THE YARIS...!!!!!!!

Did that work?

Srsly, though, it is a great little car.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
For $400-$460 you can put a great leather interior in the Yaris.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:23 AM   #6
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Yaris gets twice the gas mileage and gas is $4/gal and rising, enough said.

May depend on how much you drive though. If you only drive 5 miles a day, then it depends more on what you need your vehicle to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZ View Post

I have a Tundra DC 4X4 SR5, but I would never compare it to my Yaris. They are two completely different vehicles that I use for different things. They are both great vehicles.

Buy the Yaris for fuel economy and low maintenance cost. Keep the 4Runner for bad weather and more comfort on long trips. If you expect the Yaris to replace your 4Runner, you are going to be disappointed.
I wouldn't say he'd be disappointed. All things considered, I'd still choose to drive a Yaris over ANY truck or SUV. This is true even if you factor out gas mileage.

To the OP, you'll love the Yaris.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:15 AM   #7
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
most front wheel drive cars are pretty good in inclement weather. the yaris probably isn't an exception to that rule.

handling mods are pretty cheap if you want to go that route.

it will be hard to get a nonbiased opinion from either of those sites. they are both going to be biased in their direction. the 4runner guys are going to think you are crazy and the yaris guys are going to say go for it. that's just how it works.

I recently purchased a 3 door hatch. it is a 2008 with less than 18k on it. it was under $12k the payments really are small. given all the factors that went into my decision, it was a great deal. I will say I have no use for an SUV or a truck for that matter. if you actually use your 4runner for stuff and need the towing or cargo space, you can either keep it and get the yaris or not get the yaris.

the resale on these things are crazy (at least what I have seen) sometimes the used ones are almost as expensive as the new ones. granted I was looking at 1 or 2 years old. that was a big reason I bought one that was 3 years old. I still stayed with low mileage.

in the end, you have to live with it. if you don't like small cars, the yaris is not for you. if you like the good gas mileage and the fact that it is a toyota and will probably last a really long time, go for it. test drive it, scrutinize it, make sure it is the way you want to go. finance it for 6 years and pay it off in 2. make sure you are OK with the deal. nobody can tell you it is or isn't a good deal.

hopefully some of that made sense and it isn't just me rambling.

good luck my friend.
BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:40 AM   #8
brg88tx

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan, Auto
i sold my 03 tacoma doublecab for my 07 yaris sedan. doubled my mpg and save approx $1,000 per year in gas. i don't regret it, but then again we also have a suburban for hauling and long trips. just didn't need 2 gas hogs.
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:13 PM   #9
TONIZZLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector9mm View Post
The Yaris has good resale and it doesn't matter anyway as you would be buying a used one and it is already devalued. I love my Yaris. I get about 35 mpg average. The only thing it needs is a rear sway bar to handle good if you drive the back roads.That's 150 bucks and 1/2 hour to install.
I'll keep that in mind. My first mod would probably be tints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZ View Post

Unfortunately can't afford two cars. I was actually getting disappointed when I looked inside the Yaris' interior. You can definitely see the difference in price between a T4R Limited to the Yaris. Which brings me to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post
For $400-$460 you can put a great leather interior in the Yaris.
...this is true, now if there was something that can be done with the plastics. I do like how the Yaris has a sunroof. Seems rare w Yaris S hatches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Yaris gets twice the gas mileage and gas is $4/gal and rising, enough said.

May depend on how much you drive though. If you only drive 5 miles a day, then it depends more on what you need your vehicle to do.

To the OP, you'll love the Yaris.
I probably drive less than 20 miles a day. I mainly go to the train station, and take that downtown. I definitely have the Yaris' gas mileage as one of its main points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
most front wheel drive cars are pretty good in inclement weather. the yaris probably isn't an exception to that rule.

handling mods are pretty cheap if you want to go that route.

it will be hard to get a nonbiased opinion from either of those sites. they are both going to be biased in their direction. the 4runner guys are going to think you are crazy and the yaris guys are going to say go for it. that's just how it works.

I recently purchased a 3 door hatch. it is a 2008 with less than 18k on it. it was under $12k the payments really are small. given all the factors that went into my decision, it was a great deal. I will say I have no use for an SUV or a truck for that matter. if you actually use your 4runner for stuff and need the towing or cargo space, you can either keep it and get the yaris or not get the yaris.

the resale on these things are crazy (at least what I have seen) sometimes the used ones are almost as expensive as the new ones. granted I was looking at 1 or 2 years old. that was a big reason I bought one that was 3 years old. I still stayed with low mileage.

in the end, you have to live with it. if you don't like small cars, the yaris is not for you. if you like the good gas mileage and the fact that it is a toyota and will probably last a really long time, go for it. test drive it, scrutinize it, make sure it is the way you want to go. finance it for 6 years and pay it off in 2. make sure you are OK with the deal. nobody can tell you it is or isn't a good deal.

hopefully some of that made sense and it isn't just me rambling.

good luck my friend.
Nice post. Biased opinions are what I have to work with. There was a guy on here that owned both a '99 4Runner and a Yaris. His sn is 120.0.0.1 i think. He's banned though, so couldn't get his opinion.

I checked KBB on the resale of a 2010 base yaris. Details here. From year 1 to year 2 of ownership it lost 50%, then $1K each year after.

Don't really tow anything, but I do put my mountain bike in the back of the T4R with the rear seats folded down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brg88tx View Post
i sold my 03 tacoma doublecab for my 07 yaris sedan. doubled my mpg and save approx $1,000 per year in gas. i don't regret it, but then again we also have a suburban for hauling and long trips. just didn't need 2 gas hogs.
That's a lot of gas savings. What if you didn't have the suburban and only had the Yaris? That's where I'm at. One or the other.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #10
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
do it......

YOU WONT!!!
matthewai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:52 PM   #11
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
A yaris.... because you can do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNuCuQxMG6k

Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:14 PM   #12
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
^Best selling point right there!

BTW I know it's kinda last-minute, but back to the same place on the 1st. Down for it?

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:31 PM   #13
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Uhm if you're sure you're okay with the small-car lifestyle aspect, i.e. you can't haul firewood and large furniture, only small grocery purchases at a time; no large family or soccer practice hauls, and you will get no respect from Republicans (unless you fit up to ~40" of gun in the Yaris trunk), then check out the competition and see if spending more on Ford Focus/Fiesta, Mazda 2/3, Audi A3, or Mini Cooper would be worth it do you. There you'll have leather and wood and almost-as-good MPG. The Yaris is only the leader when considering what you get for your money; best fuel economy in economy class, lowest maintenance cost for the lowest initial purchase price.

For the plastic, search the microimage forums for great ideas with carbon fiber wrap, paint, dye, suede cover etc. Looks like <$300 in other parts will go a very long way modding the handling, brakes, gear throw etc. I've tried to buy parts for sale off this website to save cash.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #14
carnageehw

Drives: 2010 Fusion Hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TONIZZLE View Post

1) I would have to finance to get the Yaris, but that's money I can save since the 4Runner is all paid.
I don't understand this. You can save money on financing the Yaris since the 4runner is paid off?

Lets say you get a 09 yaris for 11,000, and you finance it for 3 years. That's a 305 monthly payment over paying nothing per month for the 4 runner.

Quote:
2) The 4Runner is a beast in heavy rain and snow, and was pretty good in the 23" blizzard that occurred last Feb. (I'm in the midwest).
With good tires (I'm in Canada) the Yaris works well in winter. With crappy tires, it's not so great. As long as you don't mind the annual "tire switch" form all seasons to winter, you'll be fine.
Quote:
3) I would save at the pump with the Yaris of course, to the tune of $800~ per yr if I drive 10K miles.
If you drive 10,000k a year, you'll save 800 bucks? What about when you factor in the monthly cost of the Yaris, compared to a car that's paid off?

Might be worth it in the long run though.

Quote:
4) The 4Runner has a solid resale value, and it seems the Yaris doesn't hold value that well.
It's got decent "resale" value, it's just that the car doesn't cost much to begin with.
Quote:

5) The interior of the Yaris didn't impress me with all that cloth and plastic, compared to the 4Runner's leather and wood trim.
The interior sucks. The quality is crappy, the seats are meh, the cupholders are in really annoying places and the dash in front of you collects dust quickly. If you get in your 4runner and love the look and feel of the cockpit when driving, you'll be disapointed in the Yaris.

Quote:
6) When test driving the Yaris I liked how peppy it was going 0-40mph. With the 4Runner it seems like I'm standing on the pedal to get a response.
It's really peppy and quick, but if you're used to a heavier pedal, you might hate the Yaris' accelerator and brake. They are very sensitive. You'll get used to it eventually, but it can be annoying at times.

Other things to consider:
1)Your car obviously has more cargo room that the Yaris, especially a hatch. How important is that to you?

2)Are you selling your 4 runner? That should make a decent dent in the Yaris cost.

3)Test drive the car a bunch of times. It's seats don't adjust that much, and it's sensitive pedals are going to be really, really different than the car you are used to, especially if you have been driving it since 99.
carnageehw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:25 PM   #15
Kal-El

Quote:
Uhm if you're sure you're okay with the small-car lifestyle aspect, i.e. you can't haul firewood and large furniture, only small grocery purchases at a time; no large family or soccer practice hauls, and you will get no respect from Republicans (unless you fit up to ~40" of gun in the Yaris trunk), then check out the competition and see if spending more on Ford Focus/Fiesta, Mazda 2/3, Audi A3, or Mini Cooper would be worth it do you. There you'll have leather and wood and almost-as-good MPG. The Yaris is only the leader when considering what you get for your money; best fuel economy in economy class, lowest maintenance cost for the lowest initial purchase price.
I think unless the OP has more than 2 kids, he should be fine living with a sub-compact car. The Yaris, especially the liftback, can haul a crap load of stuff. More than enough space for most situations. People always bring up the part about hauling furniture or lumbar but on that rare occasion, you rent a truck or have it delivered (most stores deliver furniture, appliances, ect. for free). Why own a big truck for that rare occasion when you need to haul a huge load but commute everyday at 18 MPG with no load.

And yes, the Yaris is the lowest cost to own vehicle you can buy. This is factored when you combine purchase price, MPG, maintenance, reliability, parts, and insurance. The only cars that come close is a base Accent and Versa. They can't beat the Yaris mpg and reliability though. As my sig points out, I've got 105,000 miles and have not needed a repair yet. THAT'S cheap to own.

BTW Swidd, many conservatives own small cars including myself. That's a silly generalization. We own them for economical reasons not environmental reasons knowing that "global warming" is a massive hoax.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #16
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageehw View Post
I don't understand this. You can save money on financing the Yaris since the 4runner is paid off?

Lets say you get a 09 yaris for 11,000, and you finance it for 3 years. That's a 305 monthly payment over paying nothing per month for the 4 runner.

If you drive 10,000k a year, you'll save 800 bucks? What about when you factor in the monthly cost of the Yaris, compared to a car that's paid off?
You're assuming that his 12 year old 4-Runner will not need costly repairs.
At 12 years old, even being a Toyota, expensive things are going to start needing replacing/fixing. But overall, yes, a car payment is almost always more than repairs over time. Often times though, a repair easily costs $1,000 being dumped into an old car. And this can happen a few times a year.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:43 PM   #17
carnageehw

Drives: 2010 Fusion Hybrid
Quote:
You're assuming that his 12 year old 4-Runner will not need costly repairs.
I'm not assuming, I just forgot to mention it ;)
carnageehw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:48 PM   #18
TONIZZLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
A yaris.... because you can do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNuCuQxMG6k

Nice vid. I wonder what fitment that is.

Quote:
I like what Ford has done with the Fiesta. Especially with the optional body kit and Euro spoiler. The Mazda 3 looks good too. But these are maybe an extra $5K above the Yaris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageehw View Post

Other things to consider:
1)Your car obviously has more cargo room that the Yaris, especially a hatch. How important is that to you?

2)Are you selling your 4 runner? That should make a decent dent in the Yaris cost.

3)Test drive the car a bunch of times. It's seats don't adjust that much, and it's sensitive pedals are going to be really, really different than the car you are used to, especially if you have been driving it since 99.
That's what I meant. I would be paying money to finance a Yaris vs. pocketing that by keeping the 4Runner. The 4Runner would be a trade-in. I did notice the seats when I was test driving. Seems like there's one adjustment missing.

Quote:
I think unless the OP has more than 2 kids, he should be fine living with a sub-compact car.
No kids, but I plan to someday. Which makes me wonder if I do get the Yaris I may need to trade-in again for a more family friendly car.

Lots of knowledgeable ppl in this forum. This is going much better than my post in the 4Runner forum. By this time the 4Runner members were getting pretty hostile.