Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-16-2017, 02:52 PM   #1
Pinchlite

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
Front wheel well plastic question?

I have looked at other yaris's and notice the plastic is behind the metal.

Did the former owner have it removed at some point and put back on incorrectly?

Both side are like this.

Here is a few pics of mine.

Its in rough shape and was considering getting new undercarriage and fender plastic.

Probaly my only complaint on the yaris is the quality and flimsiness of these parts...oh and the 2 clips that attach the plastic front bumper cover the the front quarter panel.

I do realize clips are missing BTW.

Pinchlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:25 PM   #2
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Not sure, it doesn't take much to pop it loose.

It pops back in place fairly easy.

In fact, much of this car simply snaps together!

Cheers! M2
Old 03-16-2017, 05:32 PM   #3
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Not sure, it doesn't take much to pop it loose.

It pops back in place fairly easy.

In fact, much of this car simply snaps together!

Cheers! M2
I have seen a yaris with plastic mounted inside of fender above lip.

I suppose that would not protect the paint.

I found the proper clips and have ordered.

The plastic is all bent/kinked out of shape aswell.

I may remove liner and use heat gun to smooth out the edge then reinstall with proper clips.

https://www.amazon.ca/Fender-Retaine...ta+90467-10183

The larger plastic clips for bumper and quarter panel are not broken but dont hold in place anymore..I have had bumper lowered off quite a few times(I just remove top screws and hinge down bumper cover)
Old 03-16-2017, 06:29 PM   #4
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Mine would pop down from time to time. If I remember correctly, I ended up feeling a couple tabs of metal coming off the inside of the fender edge, which I seated the plastic well over and it's held in place since.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:13 PM   #5
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Mine would pop down from time to time. If I remember correctly, I ended up feeling a couple tabs of metal coming off the inside of the fender edge, which I seated the plastic well over and it's held in place since.
So you have the plastic overtop/inside of the metal fender lip?

I have seen quite a few like this online.The plastic showing looks cruddy.

You are correct there are tabs that protrude out from the lip of the fender where the clips go.

I think I am going to remove and place behind/ontop of lip,thats how the back is so why not the front?

I have the clips on the way just incase.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:16 PM   #6
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchlite View Post
So you have the plastic overtop/inside of the metal fender lip?

I have seen quite a few like this online.The plastic showing looks cruddy.

You are correct there are tabs that protrude out from the lip of the fender where the clips go.

I think I am going to remove and place behind/ontop of lip,thats how the back is so why not the front?

I have the clips on the way just incase.
Yep, exactly.

On Wheelwell
Old 03-16-2017, 08:17 PM   #7
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Yep, exactly.
Thanks bud!
Old 03-17-2017, 11:50 AM   #8
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Replacement fender liners are well under $20 (w/free shipping) on ebay.com

Like most things, I guess they'd be much more expensive in Canada.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:10 PM   #9
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Replacement fender liners are well under $20 (w/free shipping) on ebay.com

Like most things, I guess they'd be much more expensive in Canada.
I dont order anything from US sites,not worth it.Canadian sites,amazon.ca or I am s**t out of luck.

Only dissapointment with the yaris is the crap thin plastic wheel well thingies.

It is an econo box so its to be expected.

Reason I love the yari is that its reliable,simple and extremly fun to drive.

I also like how you dont see many,if any customized.

There is about 30 yaris's in the area I live in and none are lowered or modified at all,not even tinted windows.

lots of modified hondas though......yawwwwn.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:36 PM   #10
shepd

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 door RS
I know it's a bit of a drive, but I've saved as much as $500 on a single item buying stuff from the US and having it shipped to a Kinek location in Niagara Falls, NY (Or Buffalo, or Lewiston, depends on where I plan to go). Sure, I spend a day and $30 in gas, but the only extra you pay for is NY sales tax (8%). Sure, they might get you for HST at the border, but you'd pay that in Canada, anyways.
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:11 PM   #11
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
^^^ That's a good idea.

Pinchlite could simply install the plastic liners in the States and save any border duties and HST taxes. Plus, he could fill his tank with some much cheaper US gas.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:57 PM   #12
ern-diz

Or, he could just slip them over the tabs on the inner fenders and not spend any money, or time lol.

On Wheelwell
Old 03-21-2017, 06:58 PM   #13
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
just realized, my fenders look the exact same as Pinchlight's op.

I've removed my bumper and fenders guards more times then I care to remember but never really cared much since I can barely see it.

So I guess this means that the proper way is having the liners inside the lip of the bumper, and attached to these tabs that you guys speak of? I don't think I ever noticed the tabs
Old 03-21-2017, 08:18 PM   #14
ern-diz

I think (but am not sure) that the plastic fender liner is supposed to attached to the bottom of the metal tabs coming off the actual fender with some plastic clips. Since all that wore away on mine when running my old wheels, I just tucked the plastic liner above the tabs on the fenders and used the tabs more as a shelf than a clip point.

It hasn't moved at all since doing so.

On Wheelwell
Old 03-28-2017, 04:43 PM   #15
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Took a look at my fender liners today. Sure enough the plastic had popped out and was hanging slightly below the fender. Just popped it back in above the fender lip and all is now OK. It doesn't seem as if there is anything holding the liner in that position. There are clips at the back of the liner, behind the wheel where it is attached to the body, but there is nothing to hold the liner in position at the top. I guess the natural springiness of the plastic is supposed to keep it snapped in there. No match for the pothole strewn roads around here, but it is simple enough to pop it back into place.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:49 PM   #16
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
Took a look at my fender liners today. Sure enough the plastic had popped out and was hanging slightly below the fender. Just popped it back in above the fender lip and all is now OK. It doesn't seem as if there is anything holding the liner in that position. There are clips at the back of the liner, behind the wheel where it is attached to the body, but there is nothing to hold the liner in position at the top. I guess the natural springiness of the plastic is supposed to keep it snapped in there. No match for the pothole strewn roads around here, but it is simple enough to pop it back into place.
From looking more closely my yaris is desighned to have the plastic outside fender lip.so if you look at the wheel well you see the black plastic.Crap design to be honest as it looks like shit.

Canadian models are different then other countries and perhaps even differs from state to state within the US?

I ordered a bunch of new wheel well clips aswell btw.Not sure what to do as I tried to put inside fender well but it all buckles and causes the tire to hit when turning sharp.Total garbage to be quite honest but you get what you pay for.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:40 PM   #17
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Front fender liners

On both sides of my 07 hatch, the plastic is outside the metal fender where the 4 clips are (3 behind wheel, one above). But the plastic edge is otherwise hidden inside the fender. (An inch or so of gap shows just behind where the plastic liner edge has been relieved to go around the bumper-to-fender clip...and if the liner were to shrink a bit or deform, the whole upper edge of the liner would probably pop out from there back around to the 3 clips.)
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:10 PM   #18
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
On both sides of my 07 hatch, the plastic is outside the metal fender where the 4 clips are (3 behind wheel, one above). But the plastic edge is otherwise hidden inside the fender. (An inch or so of gap shows just behind where the plastic liner edge has been relieved to go around the bumper-to-fender clip...and if the liner were to shrink a bit or deform, the whole upper edge of the liner would probably pop out from there back around to the 3 clips.)
The part of the fender where the plugs/clips go is bent upwards along the whole edge...this normal?