Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-20-2007, 01:53 PM   #1
ToTo

Drives: Toyota Yaris T SPORT
Chirping, squeeking sound

Hi all!

Today, it came out of nowhere, a high pitched squeeking, chirping sound can be heard on idle and when driving around. If I face the engine, its coming from the right side or from near the center. I thought it was the belts at firts and sprayed some silocone on them, but the problem is still around. Sometimes the sound goes away, so its not constant, but its real annoying! I took off the engine cover and played around with some hoses on the right side, incase those were making the sound, but no luck... Do you guys know what could be causing this problem?
Old 04-20-2007, 02:57 PM   #2
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
remove the belt and run the engine and see if it's there. i would go with the belt even rhough you sprayed it, if not then the idler pulley(do these engine have one???)
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:15 PM   #3
tmyers82

Drives: Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Probably the belt. I just had my yaris in for some minor maintenance. My car was squeeling at the time when idling. The mechanic said he changed the idle speed. Whatever he did the noise went away.
tmyers82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:31 PM   #4
ToTo

The sound comes and goes from time to time, can hear it sometimes on idle and as well when driving between 2-3k, above that too but mainly its just the exhaust what can be heard at highter rpm's. Ive sprayed the belts with silicone spray, but the noise still comes and goes... Ive checked closely, the sound is not really coming from the belts, but rather from the right side of the engine near the air filter housing somewhere.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:13 PM   #5
eco

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris sedan
Do you have a new exhaust system,Ive got a 2.5" pipe that sorta wobbles when in idle,because we have a rubber mount system,so mine squeeks,when I put it in neutral it goes away,or when I let off the break,try that.
eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:32 PM   #6
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Check your exhaust from header to tail pipe and make sure it clears all the aluminum heatshields. Since you have a new exhaust system, you may have a clearance issue somewhere. At certain RPM, just due to engine vibration, the pipe can rub various heatshields and make an awfull squeeling/chirping sound. But if you gave it a little gas they often dissapear. Anyway, check your exhaust, you could have some rubbing somewhere that could be fixed. Good luck.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 03:14 AM   #7
ToTo

Thanks so much guys. I'll have a quick look at the exhaust... Not too long ago, I went out for a quick drive and no sound at all, nothing! But Im afraid that it will come back. I have a CAI, could that be causing this problem? It basically sounded like the chirping and squeeking was coming from under the engine cover from near where my stock air box was, and not from where the pulley's are... I also have the Perrin pulley, but I checked it out and no wobbling or anything...
Old 04-21-2007, 04:29 AM   #8
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
the only churping, squeaking sound I hear:

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote