Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-14-2012, 07:50 AM   #1
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Samsung Galaxy S3 or iPhone5? (no bashing please)

I'm looking for honest opinions here. I currently have the iPhone4 (first gen iPhone before that). It seems the 4S made bigger improvements over the 4 than the 5 is making over the 4S. I just don't see the 5 being all that great, I was expecting more out of Apple.

With that said, I'm leaning heavily towards an Android phone. Being semi new to the Android market though, I have some reserves as to what would be the best option for me. Obviously I want something comparable to the iPhone5. As far as size of phone, 16gb internal with microSD expandability is perfectly fine by me (definitely reduces cost). Screen size, I don't want the phone to be so big that I can't fit it into my pocket. I know the S3 is a little over 4", and that's probably the biggest I'd go.

Any thoughts and comments from those who have an Android device as to whether the S3 is worth it, or if there is something better that's already out (I've been waiting since June to upgrade, pending the iPhone5 release, hoping it'd be really great).

I know I'm going to lose all my apps I've already purchesed, but browsing through the Android Market (or Google Play, whatever it's called), and found that a good portion of the apps I really like are also available for free on Android.

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
You really want a iphone5 then, its easier to operate and not as big as the galaxy.
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Galaxy is not just over 4" it is 4.8". Also if you're used to apple then stick with it, unless you're the kind of person who can adapt to a different UI. It's open source so there is more available to android phones concerning apps and amenities. Also if you want a physical keyboard, or a specific style of phone or brand, odds are you'll find it in an android device. Plus you don't need to go to a geniusbar if you have a question, almost everything you would run into with android, is posted online in a forum with great detail.

I'm actually partial to HTC devices, I have a sensation, that's heavily modded and wife has a mytouch 4g slide ( physical keyboard). The closest phone to what you asked for is the amaze 4g from htc, its a little older but has a great camera. I'm not a fan of the "one" series from HTC as they are almost identical to the iPhone (no removable battery, no expandable memory). Hope this is helpful.
I'm noticing a pattern......
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
I have always been an Android fan. The biggest thing that irks me about the iPhone 5 is the new design for the dock connector. I hate that Apple is so proprietary as it is, and this just pushes them further into that corner.

That being said, I really don't think you'd be disappointed by an Android device, no matter which one you get. I'm planning on getting the S3 soon (I'm up for an upgrade) but am kind of holding out to see if something new comes out in the next month or two (heard rumours of an S3r2).

Get familiar with the XDA forums. Great support, good people in the community, and phenomenal instructions on rooting/flashing/modding. If you like the look/feel of the iPhone, I can promise you there'll more than likely be a ROM for whatever phone you get that will give it a similar, if not the same, look and feel.

I've always been a Samsung/HTC fan. I currently have the HTC EVO 3D, and I do really like it, but am excited to get something new.

Disclaimer: I have a friend in the Wireless industry, and he's heard a LOT of reports of the S3 not having good reception with every carrier. It appears to be a phone issue, but it's intermittent and not everyone has the issue, so YMMV.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
To answer your question properly it also depends on your carrier?

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
david_827

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
considering you said you wanted micro SD expandability i'd go with the S3 as the iphone doesnt have that option. additionaly the S3 has a quad core 1.4 ghz processor whereas Apple's A6 processor is dual core. The rear facing cameras are the same, but the galaxy has a slightly better front facing camera (1.9MP vs 1.2MPO). As mentioned before, the s3 has a larger screen which also leads to a higher resolutions (1280 X720 vs 1136X640) and last but not least the S3 has a longer battery life (11hrs talk time vs 8hrs talk time)
david_827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #7
DevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
AT&T. In the area I am most in, I have yet to have an issue with cell service. (Plus, we have 5 lines on our plan, and we are still getting the best bang for our buck. I've looked at possibly converting, but nothing beats what we have nown).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanYaris View Post
You really want a iphone5 then, its easier to operate and not as big as the galaxy.
No, I don't want an i5. I'm actually getting rather tired of Apple and how they run things. Whether it's my PC or iTunes, most every time I try to do anything on iTunes lately, it completely locks my computer and is such a pain in the rear end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
Galaxy is not just over 4" it is 4.8". Also if you're used to apple then stick with it, unless you're the kind of person who can adapt to a different UI. It's open source so there is more available to android phones concerning apps and amenities. Also if you want a physical keyboard, or a specific style of phone or brand, odds are you'll find it in an android device. Plus you don't need to go to a geniusbar if you have a question, almost everything you would run into with android, is posted online in a forum with great detail.

I'm actually partial to HTC devices, I have a sensation, that's heavily modded and wife has a mytouch 4g slide ( physical keyboard). The closest phone to what you asked for is the amaze 4g from htc, its a little older but has a great camera. I'm not a fan of the "one" series from HTC as they are almost identical to the iPhone (no removable battery, no expandable memory). Hope this is helpful.
Starting to hate Apple. As stated above. I think I'll stick to just an iPod from them. As for a different UI, I don't see that being a big problem for me. I have a Nook Color that I have booted from a microSD card from Nook2Android to converted the Color to a full Android device. So I have had some experience with Android, just limited as the OS is a couple versions old (Gingerbread 2.3.4, running off of CyanogenMod).

I know Samsumg makes a good phone. Especially since a good number of parts in the iPhone are actually made by Samsung, it can't be that bad. I know Motorolla's from many moons ago (had a Motorolla on Nextel when I was working construction).

It seems as though I'm asking for the impossible.
1. A new phone (within the last few months), that's a screen size of around 4 - 4.5.
2. Excellent camera (I'm constantly using my phone's camera, as that's usually all I have with me at the time).
3. Fast (I know the i5 has a quad-core processor, while most others are still running only a dual-core).
4. 16gb internal with expandability

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
Old 09-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
It's actually only a dual-core ARM processor, compared to the S3's Dual-core Snapdragon (which is a quad core outside the US).

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/3838...ce-keynote.htm
Old 09-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #9
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
The Galaxy S2/S2 SkyRocket is still available and is the same size as the iPhone 5. If you think the S3 is too big then that should fit the bill.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
My S2 has this. The S3 will only be better.

Quote:
It seems as though I'm asking for the impossible.
1. A new phone (within the last few months), that's a screen size of around 4 - 4.5.
2. Excellent camera (I'm constantly using my phone's camera, as that's usually all I have with me at the time).
3. Fast (I know the i5 has a quad-core processor, while most others are still running only a dual-core). [DUAL CORE for BOTH IN THE USA]
4. 16gb internal with expandability
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #11
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
I then feel ur contradicting the title of te thread if you don't want a iPhone5 wich is what you put on the title
Old 09-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kVl6Jn-U9E
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #13
DevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanYaris View Post
I then feel ur contradicting the title of te thread if you don't want a iPhone5 wich is what you put on the title
When I wrote it, I was still considering it. Since then, and after doing more research, I have determined that I do not want the iPhone. The main reason I was considering steering away from them, is because of the reasons listed above. And the more I have thought about it, I think I would do better with an Android. So then it becomes a questions of which device I want. I'm leaning towards the S3, but am not completely sold.
I have ruled out HTC One X, due to no expandable memory; the Galaxy Note due to size and weight; the S2 due to still running Gingerbread.

It seems like the main contender is the S3, but it always helps to have input from people other than the salesman trying to just get me to buy the most expensive phone.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #14
david_827

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post

:be llyroll:
david_827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #15
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilGirl View Post
When I wrote it, I was still considering it. Since then, and after doing more research, I have determined that I do not want the iPhone. The main reason I was considering steering away from them, is because of the reasons listed above. And the more I have thought about it, I think I would do better with an Android. So then it becomes a questions of which device I want. I'm leaning towards the S3, but am not completely sold.
I have ruled out HTC One X, due to no expandable memory; the Galaxy Note due to size and weight; the S2 due to still running Gingerbread.

It seems like the main contender is the S3, but it always helps to have input from people other than the salesman trying to just get me to buy the most expensive phone.
S2 was updated ice cream sandwich. Gsmarena.com and phonescoop.com are great for research btw....
I'm noticing a pattern......
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #16
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
+1

The first thing I think in determining whether you'll be happy with your new phone is to determine which carrier works the best for you, and go from there.

The Samsung has a removable battery. I cannot tell you how HANDY that is and for me, that is possibly the single most important factor (after carrier and signal where you live). I have a first generation EVO and am considering it (but in no particular hurry to get it ;)

I considered the iPhone 4S briefly last year (because it has a good camera, and because it works on any network, including international ones) and I would have been OK giving up Android but I didn't want to downgrade to a screen that small.

My EVO still works for me, though. It's rooted (equivalent of jailbroken) and running Cyanogen Mod (which I find more efficient than the HTC Sense it came with) and those modifications have extended the useful life of the device to me. I am probably going to stay with Android now - that is unless Apple puts them out of business :(

What I would do if I were you, I would go play with the Samsung at the store and have them show you everything. How it feels in the hand is probably going to be the deciding factor for you.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 09-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #17
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Ooops... should have read the thread entirely before answering, uh
Old 09-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #18
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilGirl View Post

Well to me the next best thing to a iPhone then would be the galaxy.