Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
Leslie

Drives: 2010 Yaris
Oh, I can feel the love.

Yes complaints but there is a bright side. We are seeing a good constant 43MPG in mixed driving and it handles real nice in the CO snows. We do go to the wash and use the sprayer to spray underneath to remove the salt crud, do that on all the vehicles that go out in the snow.

I did stop by the Toyota shop Saturday and they again ran the VIN and no, no problems reported at all on any Yaris. They did give me a 800# that goes to the usual voice mail heck so I will just write another letter.

No problems noted in over 200 miles of driving yesterday. We have 5K miles on it now and I noticed the maintenance required light was flashing on the way home. Wish it would have done that when I was at the Toyota shop.

Outside of the run away engine problem which is very intermittent so far a great car and the gas mileage on 87 is as noted above.

I am sure Toyota will get the problems fixed, they always have.

BTW, it is her. Yes a gal motor head.
Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:57 PM   #2
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
Oh, I can feel the love.

.... No problems noted in over 200 miles of driving yesterday. We have 5K miles on it now and I noticed the maintenance required light was flashing on the way home. Wish it would have done that when I was at the Toyota shop.

... Yes a gal motor head.
Thats for an oil change reminder every 5K. You can reset it - there is a thread here - maybe a sticky. AFA idle hunting - things will calm down as the engine breaks in - the charging system on this car can place large demands on the engine and will cause some idle hunting. BTW the car will ovverun the engine if you pop into neutral while rolling at a good clip - UR not supposed to do that! Good luck and put some good oil into that thing.
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
Kongo-Otto

Drives: '09 Yaris & '10 Auris
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
its just funny that 99% of the cars affected were in the States, all over the world not even a peep.....
Yes, because its your own fault here if you put several floor mats upon each other and get stuck with the gas pedal.
Kongo-Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
it is my OPINION that the recall should not even exist at all... i am in the toyota t ten service training program and we are keeping ourselves up to date on this... the problem is that with the affected models, there is no hook for positive retention of the floormats, and most of the american idiots prefer to stack another mat on top, to "protect" the factory floormat from getting dirty... when you stack the extra floormats, they can slide up under the pedals and get stuck...

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:36 PM   #5
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_echo View Post
it is my OPINION that the recall should not even exist at all... i am in the toyota t ten service training program and we are keeping ourselves up to date on this... the problem is that with the affected models, there is no hook for positive retention of the floormats, and most of the american idiots prefer to stack another mat on top, to "protect" the factory floormat from getting dirty... when you stack the extra floormats, they can slide up under the pedals and get stuck...
I thought the new recall that just came out had nothing to do with the floor mat or the actual gas pedal itself? The gas pedal is actually not getting stuck, it's the ECU not responding when the operator releases pressure on the pedal.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:48 PM   #6
Kongo-Otto

Drives: '09 Yaris & '10 Auris
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
I thought the new recall that just came out had nothing to do with the floor mat or the actual gas pedal itself? The gas pedal is actually not getting stuck, it's the ECU not responding when the operator releases pressure on the pedal.

As far as i know the recall consists of several procedures, depending on the model: Shorter gas pedals, ecu change (if your gas pedal is stuck and you hit the brakes, the gas pedal will be cut off electronically) and of course improvements to the floor mats.
Kongo-Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:38 PM   #7
Cutie Pie #2

Drives: 2014 Honda CR-V LX
Toyota just suspensed all sales/production for the cars in the pedal recall until they know what's causing it. Just was on Nightly News. At least we'll be ok.
Cutie Pie #2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:53 PM   #8
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutie Pie #2 View Post
Toyota just suspensed all sales/production for the cars in the pedal recall until they know what's causing it. Just was on Nightly News. At least we'll be ok.
That's bad, real bad!
Hope we don't end up being the next Audi 5000.
First a family dies due to a sliding floormat, now potential sticking pedal for more runaway cars.....

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #9
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
x2. new recall isnt floor mats, its a gas pedal/ecu problem. Go go Toyota!
Old 02-03-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_echo View Post
to be fair, my floor mat hook popped completely out of the base carpet and was a bit of a bitch to pop back in. so a sliding floor mat is totally possible, especially if operator does not notice and drives around like this.
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:40 PM   #11
Leslie

Drives: 2010 Yaris
I have to agree it is the ECU. Our Yaris has the hooks holding the floor mat down and we do not have a mat over top like in the other Toyota's we have as we are well aware of the floor mat pedal issue.

Twice for me and once for the other half the ECU kept the engine RPM up or actually increased them the one time to 4,000.

There is also an annoying increase in speed when you cancel the cruise without turning it off. A little unnerving when compared to the 1990's vintage Toyota's with cruise. Cancel them and you feel the engine compression taking over right away.

Other than this little major issue, we love the Yaris and recommend it as we know Toyota will come through. BTW, I found out the engineer who designed the ECU system is 68 and IMHO should have known better. But as the tech at the Toyota shop said '. . this is just progress. . . '. Sometimes the old ways are a little better but again, I have faith Toyota will fix this.
Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #12
PaddyMac

Drives: 09 Yaris
Let us hope that this will not be the end of Toyota in North America
PaddyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:54 PM   #13
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyMac View Post
Let us hope that this will not be the end of Toyota in North America
VERY doubtful.

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:49 PM   #14
Eawalt1
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota 2007 yaris sedan
Accelerator Recall - WHY not Yaris??

Does anyone know why Toyota would not want to also recall some of the other cars such as our Yaris since they still don't know what on these cars that is causing the random accelleration?
Is is b/c no one has died in a yaris yet??? Curious on anyone's thoughts.
Not very trustful of Toyota these days but still love my car.
Eawalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:52 AM   #15
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
My opinion - it has to do with quality control on cars being assembled here...our car comes directly built from Japan...from where quality control on almost any car related part or chassis is....top notch
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:58 AM   #16
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
It sounds you WANT a recall on the Yaris. Why?

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:18 AM   #17
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Interesting first post...

Perhaps the answer to the question is that our floor mats don't get in the way of the accelerator.

I'd also be willing to bet Toyota has less blood on it's hands than any of the American manufacturers. From exploding gas tanks, to top heavy SUVs, as well as poorly engineered, and poorly manufactured vehicles...it's going to be a LONG time before I buy another American vehicle.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:57 AM   #18
BluYrs
ヴィッツ ドライバー

Drives: 2006 3d 1.0 Linea Sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
why are we talking about this....AGAIN.... Toyota is just playing it safe, and it is only North America (land of I'll sue you for my stupidity...not to be mean but it is a fact) that is getting the recalls last time I heard
+1

Just use the brakes (ATM) or clutch (MTM) to keep the car from accelerating when the gas pedal becomes stuck. If the problem reoccurs, don't use the mat or modify it so it wouldn't iterfere with the pedal's movement.

Or has it been declared illegal to use your own brain to make driving your car safer?

The blue one
BluYrs is offline   Reply With Quote