Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-05-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
Beer Jammer

Drives: Yaris 1.3 SR
Just got me a Yaris - A big hello and some questions.

Hi All.

I put a post on the new Yaris Purchase forum, and I'll post these questions here to put them in the right forum and avoid a big bump.

I did quite a bit of research before buying, I got the 1.3SR, mainly because there were no decent TS' for sale within 100miles.
Right onto the questions, sorry for the long post, . I did do a search on a couple forums, and already found out the basics for a bit of improvement in the engine bay, namely better breathing to start with (intake and exhaust), perhaps a Greddy or unipart ECU and for good measure an aftermarket earthing kit will help.

I did try a Daihatsu Sirion Rally 2, which for those unfamiliar uses the Yaris' 1.3 VVTI but has a few tweaks to bring it up to around 107Hp and a 0-60 of around 8 secs. See here:http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/...px?deriv=24070I didnt choose this car because the yaris will keep its value better and is far more popular (and doesnt look like a diseased pig but thats a personal opinion). Looking at what they did to it, they changed the exhaust cam profile, added a 'free breathing' air box/filter and used a different exhaust. In theory then, if I pop off to the local Daihatsu dealer, (I actually live 2 miles from one) I can buy these parts and swap them out to get close to the same from the engine. I know there is no difference in ECU specs, as the tuning company behind the Rally 2 are quoted as saying they tried all manner of ECU configurations, but it always re-adjusted itself back... so they left it alone and got the gains elsewhere.

So does this sound plausible, or does any of the vast yaris experience here think its a lost cause, or just easier to buy induction kits/ehausts from respectable sources?
Beer Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:21 AM   #2
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Wouldn't be easier to buy a Daihatsu Sirion. You would have warranty, etc...
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:08 AM   #3
Beer Jammer

Drives: Yaris 1.3 SR
I could, but as I said in the post it looks terrible, has a less than good image and wont be as easy to sell on as a yaris. I cant deny the Sirion Rally 2 is a stonking drive .... but its a Daihatsu.
Beer Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
CAI, underdrive-pulley, axle-back exhaust. That will gain you roughly 10-15% HP over stock. Next, get some VERY LIGHT wheels, which allow the motor to work less to wind-up your tires (unsprung weight is your enemy.)

Beyond that, you are throwing-away money relative to a 1.5 or TS Yaris if you want more HP, IMHO. A stand-alone or piggy-back ECU woudl onyl make sense if you are going forced-induction. If you are willing to spend that $$, you should have just bought a TS.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote