Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Macbook Pro 13"

Anyone have one of these? If so, please share what you like about it, what you dislike, etc. I'm thinking of picking up one of the 2011 models with the thunderbolt (i wanted the 2010 because of the nvida graphics card but the new 2011 with the i5 processor makes me overlook that :D ) but would like to hear other owners opinions. Thanks!
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:16 PM   #2
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
I just picked up a 13" Macbook Air - 256GB SSD, 4Gig Ram, 1.86GHz Core 2 Duo. It's replacing my aging PowerBook G4 12". < it was the top model when I got it at the end of the the product life cycle but it's been struggling to run youtube vids, so it was due for replacement.

I can tell you one thing, get the SSD hard drive or put one in. It night and day faster than a conventional HDD. I also have a late 2008 Mac Pro and this thing is zippier for everyday stuff. Everything loads instantly when you click on it, it's insane.

Things to consider, how often do you use removable media?
How do you intend to use the MBP? General web stuff, the ocational photo or video edit? Because the weight of the Air and the battery life are superior. Or if you wait a bit if you're buying new (I got this used for a steal) wait a bit and the new Air might be out in a month when the new OSX comes out in a couple of weeks. It should have a "i" series processor and thunderbolt.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
cm07yaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Blazing Blue
Send a message via AIM to cm07yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
I just picked up a 13" Macbook Air - 256GB SSD, 4Gig Ram, 1.86GHz Core 2 Duo. It's replacing my aging PowerBook G4 12". < it was the top model when I got it at the end of the the product life cycle but it's been struggling to run youtube vids, so it was due for replacement.

I can tell you one thing, get the SSD hard drive or put one in. It night and day faster than a conventional HDD. I also have a late 2008 Mac Pro and this thing is zippier for everyday stuff. Everything loads instantly when you click on it, it's insane.

Things to consider, how often do you use removable media?
How do you intend to use the MBP? General web stuff, the ocational photo or video edit? Because the weight of the Air and the battery life are superior. Or if you wait a bit if you're buying new (I got this used for a steal) wait a bit and the new Air might be out in a month when the new OSX comes out in a couple of weeks. It should have a "i" series processor and thunderbolt.
You should have waited another week or so when they will be releasing the updated models along side OS X Lion...
cm07yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:06 AM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
I got this thing for $1100 cash, and it's still under warranty until February of next year. I priced it out and it would have been over $1900 new with tax. Plus I don't need anything more powerfull or any other features, that's why I have a mac pro.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:18 AM   #5
teddy

Drives: 2008 5-door hatchback
Send a message via MSN to teddy
I got a 13" Macbook Pro back in summer 2009. I LOVE it. The aluminium body is lightweight and strong. It doesn't feel cheap like many laptops out there these days.

It's very thin and as I mentioned, light for it's size.

The Magsafe connector is undoubtedly worth the "Apple premium" I paid happily. I've got a now 2 year old daughter, this connector has saved the laptop probably a dozen times.

Then there is MacOS X, easily the best OS I've used. I have a strong Linux and Windows background and MacOS was extremely easy to pick up and use, almost no learning curve. As a programmer/power user I appreciate the power I get with MacOS X's Unix roots and the ease of use from Windows.
teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
detroiter

Bought it last night from best buy and must say the thing is definitely quality. Fast as can be and the battery life is unreal. Let's put it this way, I opened every program I could and had them running at the same time, along with facetime and photobooth cameras both running...the computer never even winced.

The thing I must say I'm pretty upset about though is that there's a piece of dust on the bottom left screen, right near the app store icon and it bugs the hell out of me. It's inside of the screen so it can't be cleaned off. I've looked online and it seems to be a real problem for some reason with these macbook pros and other macs that come with glass screens. So tomorrow I'm going to take it back to best buy and exchange it for another one. If that one also has problems, I hate to say it but it's going back for good and I'll just keep my money.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:44 PM   #7
detroiter

Took it back to best buy today to exchange the MBP and turns out it was infact a dead pixel in the screen. They took it for exchange without a second thought, brought out another and took care of me right away. Took home the new one and fired it up, so far so good. No dead pixels, nothing. The one thing I must say though that's wierd and I think it goes for all macbook pros is that the black border of the screen has like two borders. The black border for the outside screen and then the black border from the LCD screen. Almost like the LCD black border doesn't reach as far as the other one. Not a big deal at all and it's normal, just kind of funny looking.

Any good programs I should pick up for this thing? It's the one with i5 processor