Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-21-2011, 06:34 AM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Toyota Announces iQ For Sale

I got an email from Toyota announcing the official iQ debut.

First to get it will be Alaska, Hawaii, CA,MT,OR, WA etc in October this year.

NJ wont get it until Feb 2012.

But I didnt see any info on how much it will cost.

How much? Like $20,000+?
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:55 AM   #2
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
I've been watching it a little myself and have seen that the base price is going to be around $16 or so. it is also going to be badged a scion.

Set to arrive at west coast dealerships from this October, and in other regions from early 2012, the new iQ will retail from $15,265. The iQ will be available in seven exterior colors, including Blizzard Pearl, Classic Silver Metallic, Magnetic Gray Metallic, Black Sand Pearl, Hot Lava, Pacific Blue Metallic and Black Currant Metallic.

my biggest complaint is for the size, why are they not getting much better mileage? I would think that a car that size should do way better. I have yet to see official number but many are saying it won't do that much better than the yaris. I guess we will see once official numbers come out. they were way off compared to my yaris.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:49 AM   #3
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
my biggest complaint is for the size, why are they not getting much better mileage? I would think that a car that size should do way better. I have yet to see official number but many are saying it won't do that much better than the yaris. I guess we will see once official numbers come out. they were way off compared to my yaris.
The same thing could be said about the Smart car.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
BEEF

diesel smarts get ~60mpg (sometimes I wish I lived in canada)

***edit***

I know that the diesel yaris and the diesel mini cooper do about the same. none of which are available in the US.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
Kiteless

Drives: US 2007 Yaris Liftback 5MT
Its got some nice standard options, but compared to the Yaris is's not really a good deal. It has a polarizing style, limited utility, but very useful in tight places, and the gas milage is as not as good as the Yaris. Also no manual option.

Kiteless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:54 PM   #6
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
http://yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35608

Last edited by Kal-El; 07-21-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #7
woof

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatch/Black
My '07 Yaris gets better mileage than the iQ numbers. I have a feeling that Toyota doesn't want the iQ to knock on the Prius doors. Apparently that's not a problem in Europe where there are 1.0L, 5-speeds.

It is a tragedy that Scion is not offering a diesel at the listed price. $16K is just too much for hubcaps.

woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:08 PM   #8
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
The iQ (and Smart ForTwo, for that matter), are marketed on their size. Period.

The ForTwo is equipped with a miserable transmission. At least the iQ wil have a CVT, and not require premium fuel!
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:46 PM   #9
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
but think of what the Yaris gets with its "official" numbers, the iQ will just do that much better.

And then an iQ with a small turbo and a few weight reductions will give you a car under 2000 pounds with 120+ hp.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:13 AM   #10
BEEF

my dad has a 2006 corolla that he bought brand new for a tick over $14,000. it seats five and still gets close to 40mpg. not sure about the power but it is more than the yaris or IQ.

I would say for the money that is a much better option than the IQ. I would think it would be a much better deal if the car ran about 12K or came with the diesel option to boost mileage even better.

I would have a heck of a time justifying putting a turbo on a car that small. that is a lot of money for a little amount of hp for that car. I would also think the aftermarket for that car wouldn't really be that strong as it is a very basic car. kind of like trying to find a turbo or supercharger for the geo metro's 3 cylinder.

I was just all around disappointed. I think the price is probably fine for the options that you get but why won't they sell a bare bones model with a regular stick shift and none of the power stuff? that is where the market is for me. give me the econo-box that has nothing (still gotta have the A/C) and if you can get the price down to around 10-12k then you have the market nailed. that will get the cars out there.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:32 PM   #11
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
my dad has a 2006 corolla that he bought brand new for a tick over $14,000. it seats five and still gets close to 40mpg. not sure about the power but it is more than the yaris or IQ.

I would say for the money that is a much better option than the IQ. I would think it would be a much better deal if the car ran about 12K or came with the diesel option to boost mileage even better.

I would have a heck of a time justifying putting a turbo on a car that small. that is a lot of money for a little amount of hp for that car. I would also think the aftermarket for that car wouldn't really be that strong as it is a very basic car. kind of like trying to find a turbo or supercharger for the geo metro's 3 cylinder.

I was just all around disappointed. I think the price is probably fine for the options that you get but why won't they sell a bare bones model with a regular stick shift and none of the power stuff? that is where the market is for me. give me the econo-box that has nothing (still gotta have the A/C) and if you can get the price down to around 10-12k then you have the market nailed. that will get the cars out there
Agreed. I don't know why Toyota isn't offering a real "base" model. The base is essentially loaded.

Then again, Scion's have never come stripped, but well equipped for a reasonable non-negotiable price. The xD is a great value, the iQ is not.

A car like this absolutely should start below $12K. The 2012 Versa sedan starts at $10,995 http://yarisworld.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=17 and comes with AC, stereo, ect. and is the size of a Corolla! How do you figure the iQ micro machine starts $4K more??
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote