Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-28-2009, 01:45 PM   #19
turboyaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to turboyaris
whooppee was going to be fully building his engine, but yea doing it on a stock engine would be pointless... and yes it needs to be twin screw
turboyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #20
whooppee777
I used to have 1700 posts

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Send a message via AIM to whooppee777
Quote:
Originally Posted by largeorangefont View Post
It is a waste of time and money on a high compression NA engine like the Yaris has.
a waste of time and money to some people.

if i did it i would do it right. i would pick up a 1nz from a junkyard completely build the engine from top to bottom. swap in a 2zz transmission. custom fortified axels. properly tuned stand alone engine management

whooppee777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:32 PM   #21
turboecho2005

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
It is a waste of time and money on a high compression NA engine like the Yaris has.

You would NOT want a centrifugal supercharger, that defeats the whole purpose of twin charging. YOu woudl want a roots or twin screw type supercharger.

Also, one will not "blow up" the other.
I have wasted enough money on my echo to buy 6 or more of them... For some people it may seem like a waste but when you can keep up to a lambo in an echo the look on his face is priceless.

and you WOULD want a centrifugal supercharger since it is much more efficient then a roots or twin screw style. You don't need to feed the supercharger with the turbo or feed the turbo with the supercharger. they can both run to the same intercooler that has divided tanks on one end with a single outlet on the other end feeding your intake manifold.

1987 Nissan Maxima - 40,000 original miles - Slammed
1991 Isuzu Impulse RS AWD Turbo - approx 250hp - Winter Beater
1989 Isuzu Imark RS - Mint Condition - 0 rust - 100% factory :) - Summer Cruiser - 100% restored
1986 VW Jetta Wolfsburg - 120,000km - Mint condition. TDI swap in progress
turboecho2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:58 PM   #22
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by whooppee777 View Post
a waste of time and money to some people.

if i did it i would do it right. i would pick up a 1nz from a junkyard completely build the engine from top to bottom. swap in a 2zz transmission. custom fortified axels. properly tuned stand alone engine management
Don't get me wrong, I totally want you to do this. However, this is no pocket change project. And if I remember correctly, you were the guy who had a payment plan for just the blitz kit with garm. Unless you hit the lottery recently, or you're raking in the money like garm, how long do you think this will take to actually happen?
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:03 PM   #23
whooppee777

if i did it i see it taking me roughly 2 years, but thats me taking my time. i see no point in rushing it. the engine in it right now is running fine

Old 03-28-2009, 09:06 PM   #24
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
Wait Garm takes payment plans?!!?! I was thinking of buying a new 46" TV but damn a supercharger might be more rewarding
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:10 PM   #25
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
^Lol
Old 03-28-2009, 09:54 PM   #26
whooppee777

for whatever reason i have this urge to build an engine. i could spend half as much building a honda engine and blend in with the crowd or i could spend more and make something that truly stands out in a crowd

Old 03-28-2009, 10:20 PM   #27
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
for whatever reason i have this urge to build an engine. i could spend half as much building a honda engine and blend in with the crowd or i could spend more and make something that truly stands out in a crowd
I'm getting the feeling this is a very foreign idea in this crowd. I'm still waiting for someone to tell you to just buy a clio
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:14 AM   #28
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboecho2005 View Post
I have wasted enough money on my echo to buy 6 or more of them... For some people it may seem like a waste but when you can keep up to a lambo in an echo the look on his face is priceless.

and you WOULD want a centrifugal supercharger since it is much more efficient then a roots or twin screw style. You don't need to feed the supercharger with the turbo or feed the turbo with the supercharger. they can both run to the same intercooler that has divided tanks on one end with a single outlet on the other end feeding your intake manifold.
If you are going to run a centrifugal supercharger and a turbo you are defeating the entire purpose. An centrifugal supercharger is essentially a belt driven turbo cold side, and as such needs to spool just like a turbo, but is limited by engine speed. You would be better off running 2 turbos, or one large turbo. The whole point of twin charging is to eliminate turbo lag. A centrifugal supercharger has lag. Roots style and twin screw chargers do not.

It has been proven that generally a single turbo will make more power than a twin charger setup. The twin charger will have better driveability, and better response.

Also, you are not keeping up with a Lambo in Echo or Yaris. Maybe a Mustang.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:17 AM   #29
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:

I understand you want to build something unique, but just remember that after the investment, you will either be left with a broken car that you are frustrated with, or a "fast" yaris that is still slow compared to other cars.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:35 AM   #30
turboecho2005

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
Also, you are not keeping up with a Lambo in Echo or Yaris. Maybe a Mustang.
Hahaha.. you obiously haven't seen my build before.... I was able beat a few nice cars including my bosses modified M3. A 335Xi twin turbo BMW and a few other just with my 4age swap. I am not saying i smoked then but i was in the lead.

Let alone my twin engine build... even just 500 awd hp in an echo would be killer.

If you think lambos are fast you must be smoking some good shit. because the base Lamborghini Murciélago only does the quarter mile in 12.6 seconds... any well built turbo'd civic can keep up to that.

1987 Nissan Maxima - 40,000 original miles - Slammed
1991 Isuzu Impulse RS AWD Turbo - approx 250hp - Winter Beater
1989 Isuzu Imark RS - Mint Condition - 0 rust - 100% factory :) - Summer Cruiser - 100% restored
1986 VW Jetta Wolfsburg - 120,000km - Mint condition. TDI swap in progress

Last edited by turboecho2005; 03-29-2009 at 06:50 AM.
turboecho2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:18 PM   #31
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboecho2005 View Post

If you think lambos are fast you must be smoking some good shit. because the base Lamborghini Murciélago only does the quarter mile in 12.6 seconds... any well built turbo'd civic can keep up to that.
You are the one smoking the shit if that is what you think. Yes you can build a gutted turbo anything to beat one in a 1/4 mile. On the street you might beat it to 120 or so.

http://www.dragtimes.com/Lamborghini...ag-Racing.html

Sure the idiot that can't drive it ran a 12.6, but look at the trap speeds genius. If you think a 12.6 is a tru representation of what they run you are kidding yourself.

I have ran them before and assure you they are much faster than that. I've beaten Gallardos, I've bean one Murci, and lost to one.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:59 PM   #32
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Yeah honestly If you wanted low end then high end and something super fancy you can always do a sequential turbo setup. The sequential will be pretty cool if you can rig up the piping correctly. GT15 in the butt GT30 where the air box is. WOOOSH pew pew ... Then you will have one quick spooling top end monsterrrr.

Or you can always go the twin-engine route, and be the ultimate yaris. We already have an up and coming ultimate echo, who wants to do it in the yaris. No 1nz allowed if you go that route though...
Old 03-29-2009, 02:06 PM   #33
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
a twin turbo 1NZ... talk about putting lipstick on a pig but yeah, if done right, it could be a mini monster all right...

I say the dream setup would be to swap the rear subframe, engine, tramsission, etc from an old MR2 Turbo (3S-GTE FTW) where the back seats are

but yeah, this is all just dreams and talk, not a lotta people are ever actually gonna do anything about it

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:50 PM   #34
TOUGEghost
Mr. Clean

Drives: 2009 Yaris S 3-Door
I know twin turbos aren't the original topic, but what did all the guys with factory sequential turbo setups do? (Supra, RX-7, etc.) Rip them out and go with single turbos, lol. More power, less complexity, slight tradeoff in low rpm response, but who cares about that, right?
TOUGEghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:16 AM   #35
whooppee777

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOUGEghost View Post
I know twin turbos aren't the original topic
at this point im enjoying all the different ideas being thrown around

Old 03-31-2009, 01:40 AM   #36
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

well I mean damn, if you're taking ideas, might as well swap a VAG FWD 1.8T in there, then you'd be golden for power...