Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-24-2010, 10:14 PM   #1
phenoyz77
http://www.lifeline-mts.

Drives: yaris
sea foam

can anyone tell how to use this product
Sea Foam..do you put it directly into the gas tank when you put fuel
or you put it inside the engine like you normally put oil
I cant understand the directions in the can...
thanks

Last edited by phenoyz77; 09-24-2010 at 10:25 PM.
phenoyz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:35 PM   #2
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
you need either an air setup to make it mist into the air inlet system (cai or past the MAF into the ductwork) or a vacuum setup.

the first is a pressurized system that usually comes with adapters for fuel rails, vacuum boosters, wires/jets to inject it into the air duct system and cleans the throttle body and intake manifold, pistons, exhaust system. very good as it cleans the throttle and intake. the non-fuel rail system requires you to run about 3-4k rpm as to not puddle or cause a rich problem.

the other is a vacuum setup and can be applied to any port. i'd rather use the booster port because it's on the high vacuum side of the engine and is a huge port. you can also use any other port and there may be a few ports with block-offs for this on the engine. any way, this will clean the intake, pistons, exhaust.

the pressurized system may come with fuel rail adapters and this is the best system. pull the fuse to the pump, pull fuel line to rail, install tool, put shop air to tool, start car normally until it runs dry and dies. you may have a hard start and a misfire code but that can be cleared at autozone or with enough key cycles. this is the best setup. it cleans the rail, injectors, valves, and everything else but the front of the throttle plate...which the only negative here is it doesnt clean the IAC motor/valve.

lastly and least effective, you can put the thing in the tank. but that's a waste of 10 bux. unless you're doing this every other or every third tank. then it cleans water, alcohol, disolves buildup, cleans lines and injectors. needs to be started early to be effective.

if you dont have the equipment, you can take the stuff to any dealer or mechanic that uses MOC or Wynns or even DG cleaning products. you can request to do a fuel injection service and use their products, or use your seafoam. MOC is good, it's a throttle body cleaner used to clean the intake system. wynns is a fuel rail setup and vacuum setup (dual system for newer vehicles and older)

as to answering your question...you can dump it in the tank, literally pour it slowly into a vacuum port or extremely slowly into the throttle inlet system, or use a tool to inject it 'somewhere' or wherever the tool allows.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:38 PM   #3
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Personally, I have been just adding a can to the tank of my cars about every 5k miles or so.
why? It's a very good injectior/fuel sys cleaner and gas only has the bare legal minimum cleaners in them which is acually not enough to keep them as clean as possible.
The amount was determined by the big oil lobby so, this should tell you something. In my Celica (that I recently sold) the enging still ran like new after almost 90k miles.

It is not nessary to put it into oil unless you have a sludge build up. Changing oil when required will prevent any sludge to begin with.

Also keep in mind that Sea Foam is good fuel stabalizer and it can be added to the fuel of engines that will be stored for a season including a car that is rarely run for the winter, etc.

Yes, you can let some be sucked up through a vacuum line to clean out an intake etc.
However, wether this is nessary or not for a realatively new engine is certainly debatable.

BTW, I have found that WalMart is the cheapest place to get it.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote