Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-26-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
gabriel2012

Drives: 2011 Base Sedan
Just bought a yaris hb...help with oil

I bought the car a week ago for around 7k with 41,000 miles, and the guy who sold it to me said it was time for an oil change.

What filter works best with the yaris?
What kind of oil (regular or synthetic)?
What oil brand is the best or common in our vehicles.

I really like the car other than a stupid alignment issue it had(costed me $100 to fix) its been awesome.
gabriel2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
eric81

Drives: Toyota Salesman
DEFFINATELY synthetic. Mobil 1 is great stuff, and either 5W-30 or 0W-30. Check the oil cap to be sure. It can go 5K between oil changes too. As for filters, go with a FRAM EX, or something better than their cheap one. You could go Royal Purple, those people claim about 10K between changes, but it's expensive, and Toyota has yet to back their product (warranty safety etc). Also, when you do the oil, buy the 5 qt, and when the oil plug is off, put some in from the new bottle, and let it run through... it will get some extra gunk out. Don't have to, but as the Yaris holds 3.8 qt, you have some extra.
eric81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
gabriel2012

Not sure about Fram, seen many people here yell to avoid because of bad quality :(
Old 10-26-2010, 08:53 PM   #4
myt

Drives: Blazing Blue 07 YAris
Your gonna get a million different responses with everyone's opinions... you can do searches and get a million different oil/oil filter combos! LOL I have always gone synthetic.

I run Amsoil XL with either a WIX or Purolator PureOne Filter. I've also used Royal Purple, but I get nervous with the color thinking its tranny fluid! LOL

MYT
myt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:07 PM   #5
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
all personal preference. i hate fram. because i had a high volume oil pump on a 383 stroker and the the freakin fram filter popped like a soda can and dumped my 15/qt oil everywhere...and they wouldnt pay for it.

so, i'll use napa, wix or oem filters only. and also, i use valvoline, mobile, or royal purple only...that's it. so....use what you want. they're 'all the same' any way.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:20 AM   #6
eric81

Drives: Toyota Salesman
I agree with the synthetic, of course, but amsoil and Royal Purple are REALLY expensive. As for filters, your 1.5L isn't putting out 300 or so HP, so Fram will work fine. Again, get something better than basic. I do prefer the wix more, but again, price comes in. As for NAPA, they make some of the best stuff on earth. My stepdad used to buy engine belts for his motorhome and keep them under the passanger seat, because if he drove up hill, the belts were sure to break. Then he switched to NAPA, and only bought two replacements in the 4 years after. NAPA makes VERY good stuff, but again, depends on how much you want to spend. Try your own stuff, and see what you feel gives you the best bang for your buck. And always compare old oil to new oil to see how your engine is holding up.
eric81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:48 AM   #7
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
I'm sold on OEM filters, I figure if the manufacture trusts them while they warranty my engine, then they're the best after I'm out of warranty too. Synthetic is expensive, if you're not cost sensitive to it go with a name brand, but conventional is good too, just not as good. You're car hold 3.5 qts with a filter change, your call on how much you're willing to spend for the good stuff.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:58 AM   #8
walt101786

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris Hatch-Back
i would go with synthetic oils, either with 5w-30 or 0w30....for the brand itself....i have 3 top choice of my own that i prefer, its either penzoil(the ultra one), mobile one, or off course the most expensive one, royal purple...but if it comes down to decent price ones, i would either go with penzoil or mobile one...that's just me though....but for oil filter wise...i normally uses Fram Extra guard....but im still open to try a better ones...still not sure which oil filters are better, but as far as i know...Fram should be good for now with yours
walt101786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:01 AM   #9
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Toyota spec oil, from Toyota works real good.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:08 AM   #10
walt101786

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris Hatch-Back
and by the way...try adding some lube along with new oils...i normally uses either Lucas or Motor Up...i haven't tried any lubes yet...am open to try others....but that's my preference for those lubes...normally h/b yaris can hold up to 3.8qz of oils...but what i do is when i change my oil, i would buy 4....and then uses 3.5qz of synthetic oils along with a lube oil either Lucas or Motor Up....if u decide to use Lucas...put at least 20% of it...and for Motor Up...just add all in....so there u go....like i said that's just my preference for lubes and oil...as for filter wise...like i said as well....im open for learning new things everyday
walt101786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:49 AM   #11
gabriel2012

Thanks for the responses, I think I'm going with Mobil 1 5w-30 Synthetic as for the filter I'm still trying to decide and I will look at my options when I go to Advance Auto Parts tomorrow since I have no other shops close to me :/