Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-06-2006, 04:05 AM   #1
Hyde

Drives: M3,CayenneS,SL500,550i,GT3RS
Test drove 2007 Nissan Versa

my friend at Nissan told me the new versa just arrived, so i went in and took it for a test drive.

first off, the car is huge, its about as big as a Mazda 3, but shorter. build quality is just ok, a bit worst then the Yaris, and cant compare with the Fit. it have all the standard stuff like a/c, power windows etc quality of plastic is really low, the center console was just really poor plastic, and the storage space wernt very convinient especially when compare to Yaris. the JDM Tiida had a much higher quality interior. but design is pretty much the same, dont know why the USDM car's interior sucked so much. The seat didnt fold flat was really disappointing, and the cover over the sparetire was just a freaking piece of cardboard(same with the Fit). it made the Yaris's hatch looks 10 times more expensive and seems more like its from an european car then Japanese.

one of the most suprising part is that it comes with a 6MT instead of 5MT, which is great, the gear throws where kinda long, but slick, better then the Yaris. however, the engine feels good, but very unresponsive, its like its unwilling to even rev match, car also felt heavy around corners.

the best part about the car is probably the price. if you were into a family car with all the basic feature, i'd suggest the Versa. a full load model with rockford forsgate 7 speaker audio system and even Bluetooth is a few hundred cheaper then the full load Yaris RS. its definatly gonna steal some Mazda 3 and Civic buyers.

but if you were looking for a fun sporty compact, the yaris and fit is still a much better choice.
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:19 AM   #2
Hyde

Trunk

this box will make the seat fold flat, should've been standard equipment

JDM interior
Old 07-06-2006, 08:09 AM   #3
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
I kinda like it..
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:50 AM   #4
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I am not a fan of the Versa's looks.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:22 AM   #5
lowkey

Drives: 90 Integra, 07 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine
I am not a fan of the Versa's looks.
Same I thought the Fit looked like a mini van.
To each it's own.
lowkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:37 AM   #6
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Don't get me started on the Versa...okay you got me started
Anyway I do agree it has nice features and it may be a good bang for your buck but this is more of a "compact" than sub-compact, I feel Nissan is pushing for a car that doesn't really fit its class, sure you want to be ahead of the group but its like claiming an SUV is in the mid-size car class rather than what it really is...I've been reading reports that the gas milage is low 30's if not less Where's your econo car now? Plus Nissan had to re-do the EPA numbers and they're down...I don't see how they can sell this and the new Sentra, they're almost the same size and the Versa gets into Sentra territory, plus you get great features on the Versa why go Sentra...time will tell, maybe I'm underestimating them I guess we'll see. The sedan varient (doesn't come out till fall I believe) looks hideous and the hatch looks better but its not the greatest and the "cheap" factor you were referring too, I believe this one is made in Mexico? Could be wrong on that.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:43 PM   #7
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECHOKnight2000
I don't see how they can sell this and the new Sentra, they're almost the same size and the Versa gets into Sentra territory, plus you get great features on the Versa why go Sentra...
This may be the same situation as the Hyundai Tuscon / Santa Fe. My wife and I were shopping for a small SUV... she won't drive a car. The Tuscon is almost the exact same size, has more features, and costs less. We found out that the Tuscon is actually replacing the Santa Fe in that size category, and the next gen of the Sante Fe will be substancially larger. Matter o' fact, that should be happening this Fall. Could be the Versa is planned to take over the Sentra's spot, either due to rezising or discontinuation.

~YR
Old 07-06-2006, 04:42 PM   #8
Hyde

new sentra is coming out soon, its gonna be bigger then the current one by a bit and a tad smaller then the altima
Old 07-06-2006, 05:11 PM   #9
Ran Kizama
That Anime Guy

Drives: 5-Speed Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Ran Kizama Send a message via MSN to Ran Kizama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde
new sentra is coming out soon, its gonna be bigger then the current one by a bit and a tad smaller then the altima
Sentra will also be available in SE-R trim like the last model. I had a Sentra SE-R Spec V before the MSM which was before the Yaris, and it was a FWD blast. Gotta admit tho, the interior quality on Nissan has gone down quite a bit. I might have to go test one of these Versa's.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:54 PM   #10
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
I must say from seeing the Versa in person, its really growing on me, not that I'm looking at all for a new car, but since researching the Yaris and other cars before I eventually bought my Yaris, I've developed a strong interest in sub-compact and compact cars, especially hatches.

At first I really didnt like the look of the Versa's exterior, thought it was incredibly ugly actually. But now I dont seem to mind it as much, its grown on me... and the interior is the nicest IMO, the one I like the best of all the Yaris's competitors.

Jem
Old 09-12-2006, 04:36 AM   #11
jmew0ng

Drives: Scion FRS
that new sentra looks like a baby altima
http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphoto...an-sentra-se-r

so is the fold flat... for jdm version only?
jmew0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 05:51 PM   #12
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
Isnt nissan VERSA and nissan TIIDA??? just another name right?
Old 09-12-2006, 06:17 PM   #13
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasher22
Isnt nissan VERSA and nissan TIIDA??? just another name right?

Yes, in countries outside of the U.S. and Canada its called the TIIDA
Old 09-12-2006, 07:37 PM   #14
El Jefe

Drives: 07 yaris s sedan
hmm looks ok with a drop and tint (please excuse the photochop, i did it on paint in 2mins)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg versalowtint.JPG (66.5 KB, 144 views)
El Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:57 PM   #15
Boo

Drives: PW Yaris LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jefe
hmm looks ok with a drop and tint (please excuse the photochop, i did it on paint in 2mins)

Looks like a dropped Quest

BTW, the pics on Hyde post is JDM Versa.
Actually I did see a couple (1 silver, 1 white) USDM in person at a local dealer. Everythings looks so cheap , Fit or Yaris did a better job.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:30 PM   #16
SimmZ

Drives: 2k3 Cavalier & 2k2 Echo
I read many comparative between the Toyota Yaris (LB), the Honda Fit and the Nissan Versa in Canada. In all theses comparatives the Nissan Versa won everytime.

The main PROS of the Versa is :

- Best quality of materials used for interior (Yaris get 3rd place for interior quality)
- More confortable, more quiet (less road noice)
- A lot more space (the Versa is near of a compact car size)
- The price is very competitive and options is interestings (CVT, ect)

The CONS of the Versa is :

- Because it was bigger than the Yaris and the Fit, an also more powerfull, the fuel economy is poorer, as well... but don't panic, we talk of 1.0L/100 KM more than a Yaris or a Fit.

The Versa is a really great car, the price is competitive and the look is great (not wonderfull, but great). I think it's a very great car to buy. It like the Yaris, it is a "smart purchase", it's not the most beatifull car on the market, not the most powerfull, but it's reliable, fuel economic and a lot of space!
Old 09-12-2006, 10:16 PM   #17
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmZ
I read many comparative between the Toyota Yaris (LB), the Honda Fit and the Nissan Versa in Canada. In all theses comparatives the Nissan Versa won everytime.

The main PROS of the Versa is :

- Best quality of materials used for interior (Yaris get 3rd place for interior quality)
- More confortable, more quiet (less road noice)
- A lot more space (the Versa is near of a compact car size)
- The price is very competitive and options is interestings (CVT, ect)

The CONS of the Versa is :

- Because it was bigger than the Yaris and the Fit, an also more powerfull, the fuel economy is poorer, as well... but don't panic, we talk of 1.0L/100 KM more than a Yaris or a Fit.

The Versa is a really great car, the price is competitive and the look is great (not wonderfull, but great). I think it's a very great car to buy. It like the Yaris, it is a "smart purchase", it's not the most beatifull car on the market, not the most powerfull, but it's reliable, fuel economic and a lot of space!
I agree 100% with your ENTIRE post! Well said man. Great post. ^5

Jem
Old 09-13-2006, 01:52 AM   #18
El Jefe

Drives: 07 yaris s sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo
Looks like a dropped Quest
HAHAHA so true!
i work for a nissan dealership, i seen these damn things everyday and still don't like the way they look. i haven't driven one yet tho.
El Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote