Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-02-2010, 05:33 PM   #163
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaya B. View Post
yes, daytime running lights are still on :(
OK. Do you have a volt meter? That pin is definitely the one that controls turning the running lights on or off. For the US version of that module, letting that pin float (cutting the wire) works. For your version, if we can measure the voltage from the blue wire to the chassis ground with the engine running and with the headlights off and then with them on, we can figure out if that pin needs to be tied high or low on your module.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:28 PM   #164
Kaya B.

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
OK. Do you have a volt meter? That pin is definitely the one that controls turning the running lights on or off. For the US version of that module, letting that pin float (cutting the wire) works. For your version, if we can measure the voltage from the blue wire to the chassis ground with the engine running and with the headlights off and then with them on, we can figure out if that pin needs to be tied high or low on your module.
yes, thats already in my mind. i'll check the pins with voltmeter.
but i'm back from holiday i don't know when can i find time to try :(

thanks for everything. i'll give information again when i'm done.
Kaya B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #165
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
yes, thats already in my mind. i'll check the pins with voltmeter.
but i'm back from holiday i don't know when can i find time to try :(

thanks for everything. i'll give information again when i'm done.
I found some more info in the European service manual. The wire I had you clip gets grounded when the headlight switch is turned on, to tell the module to stop the DRL mode.

One more quick test you could try is to take the DRL module side of the wire you cut (and then reattached) and connect it to a chassis ground.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:06 PM   #166
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
does anyone know if this works on 2010 hb?
Old 01-11-2010, 03:11 PM   #167
yaris2010RS

lol, nvm, read back a bit and saw we are still working on it
Old 01-11-2010, 03:12 PM   #168
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
does anyone know if this works on 2010 hb?
Your Canadian one may be the same as the US ones were prior to 2010 (which means that the procedure from the beginning of this thread would work). If it's the same as the European one, then as we saw with Kaya B's, this procedure wouldn't work.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:13 PM   #169
yaris2010RS

jsut a thought to consider...the DRL will stay off if the hand break is up..... maybe if we can confuse the relay into believing it is up all the time.... i studying electro-mechanical engineering in school so if you could send me a wire schematic maybe i can be of some assistance?
Old 01-11-2010, 03:38 PM   #170
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
jsut a thought to consider...the DRL will stay off if the hand break is up..... maybe if we can confuse the relay into believing it is up all the time.... i studying electro-mechanical engineering in school so if you could send me a wire schematic maybe i can be of some assistance?
If the brake up works, then you definitely have the US style DRL module, as the European one doesn't have a parking brake switch input. In that case, the simple method will work for you...
Old 01-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #171
yaris2010RS

SICK!!! that is god like, so glad dont have to rewire my entire car..... lol. GREAT SUCCESS!!! lol. thanks alot, gonna do it now. so its on the driverside (left side) of radio and best way to get to that plug is through the steering wheel
Old 01-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #172
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
SICK!!! that is god like, so glad dont have to rewire my entire car..... lol. GREAT SUCCESS!!! lol. thanks alot, gonna do it now. so its on the driverside (left side) of radio and best way to get to that plug is through the steering wheel
Yes, removing the lower column cover gives the quickest access to it.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:02 PM   #173
yaris2010RS

okay, successfully disabled them, thanks alot. anyone interested in buying the item off me i'm willing to sell. very easy to install/remove.

also disabled clutch position starter sensor thingy.... i found it very annoying as i liuke to start my car without fully getting in and depressing the clutch all the way past floorboards, through firewall as the car will onyl start once the clutch is in the engine compartment.....or at least thats how it feels.....
Old 01-11-2010, 05:26 PM   #174
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
How? Did I miss a DIY for that?
Old 01-12-2010, 12:17 AM   #175
yaris2010RS

lmfao, i've had the car for 3 days and i found it very annoying..... i can give u a quick run down of it.....

get down on the floor inside drivers area, look at the clutch, there is a white push button sensor. there isn't much room to work and i had learned from previous sensor bypasses that some sensors have a resistor inside so the computer knows if u cut the wires and connect them so i didn't even attempt that. and the darn thing is put in with like 3 tons tourque so u get unbolt it either. so, as i did, wrap it with duct tape. lol. not very technical and jsut a quick fix for now till i can get the time asside to do a proper job. (prob this weekend and if i actually do a good job i'lll DIY it)
Old 01-14-2010, 09:37 PM   #176
Kaya B.

Drives: Yaris
hey, i still couldn't take a look :( actually it's perfect in winter :)

my drl works while handbrake is on or off :( and the authorized service says "never ever don't cut any wires for warranty void"

i'm happy i didn't cut the blue wire. i had just unplugged it from the connector because of the dispossibility of cancellation. so i put it back to the connector

i think i'll go to a good electric technician and will give a try...
Kaya B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:22 PM   #177
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
hey, i still couldn't take a look :( actually it's perfect in winter :)

my drl works while handbrake is on or off :( and the authorized service says "never ever don't cut any wires for warranty void"

i'm happy i didn't cut the blue wire. i had just unplugged it from the connector because of the dispossibility of cancellation. so i put it back to the connector

i think i'll go to a good electric technician and will give a try...
The more I look at the EWD for the European version of the DRL module, the more amazed I am about how different it is than ours.

One other quick thing that you can try is unplugging the green wire in pin 8 (the green wire next to the brown wire). This wire is the input from the alternator that tells the DRL module that the engine is running. With it removed, the DRL will think that the engine is not running and therefore won't waste the power to run the DRLs.

Conn D50.jpg
Old 01-15-2010, 04:04 PM   #178
jekqmb
Local Sh*t Disturber

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB
Done and awesome!!!
Old 01-17-2010, 02:54 PM   #179
Elusive 1

Drives: 2009 2 door Bayou Blue Peal
Thanks for info.
Elusive 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:43 PM   #180
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
Quote:
lmfao, i've had the car for 3 days and i found it very annoying..... i can give u a quick run down of it.....

get down on the floor inside drivers area, look at the clutch, there is a white push button sensor. there isn't much room to work and i had learned from previous sensor bypasses that some sensors have a resistor inside so the computer knows if u cut the wires and connect them so i didn't even attempt that. and the darn thing is put in with like 3 tons tourque so u get unbolt it either. so, as i did, wrap it with duct tape. lol. not very technical and jsut a quick fix for now till i can get the time asside to do a proper job. (prob this weekend and if i actually do a good job i'lll DIY it)
did that just now i love it :D i to will try to find a way of making this a perm fix