Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-03-2009, 10:18 PM   #1
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
In-Channel vs Tape On Vent Visors

Okay, well, I was driving to my school going 60mph like I usually do, and I see a CHP on the onramp. So I roll my windows down, and he sudden slows down, and goes onto the shoulder of the exit I'm about to take. He lets me pass. I pull into a Chevron to buy drinks for my study group. As I'm about to finish parking, the CHP pulls me over (wtf? Why don't you pull me over before I park ). Anyway, he comes up to me and says, "I find it odd how you were driving slow, meaning you didn't want to pass me up" (wtf? Is he trying to be a smart ass? I drive slow all the time) "and you exited" (wtf again? It's the exit to my school!). "Also, you were driving with your windows down" (uhhh, I didn't know there was a law against driving with your windows down on the freeway). So I'm going to give you a ticket for tinted windows. And he never even bothered to ask me to roll up my windows, he just assumed that I had tinted windows.

So, this is the second fix-it for tint, so I'm going to scrape the front ones off and start using my A/C (I got the tint so that I could save gas by not using the A/C). Now, to try to compensate, I'm thinking about asking my gf for vent visors for my b-day. I really want the in-channel ones, but I've read the horror stories here of them flying off on the freeway. What are you guy's opinions. Which will look better on my car and give me the least amount of headaches, in-channels or tape ons?
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:26 PM   #2
Pitt Yaris

Drives: Flint Mica Sedan
What about lighter tint? Or can't you have any at all on the front/side windows?
Pitt Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:27 PM   #3
kenkyd
kanye

Drives: 11 Corolla S
Send a message via AIM to kenkyd
you talking about these? i have them and they just slide in channel. and they do not move at all. not at 120, not with windows up or down. i love them

http://www.weathertech.com/store/mvp...tChoiceIds=680
kenkyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:10 PM   #4
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
Asshole cops. How dark is your tint that they are ticketing you for it?
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:24 PM   #5
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
y dont u show proof of safety inspection...since they must inspect for tint

to answer ur ? my dad's never had a prob w clip-ons for 6 yrs on his truk
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:25 PM   #6
kenkyd
kanye

Drives: 11 Corolla S
Send a message via AIM to kenkyd
your tints in pics look darker than 70%, which is what PA laws say. i found that info on the internet so it might be wrong
kenkyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:42 PM   #7
Pitt Yaris

he lives in Cali
Old 05-04-2009, 10:48 AM   #8
zuberio
Joined 3/08 ... really

Drives: '07 Sedan
In California, the vehicle code says you need at least 70% light transmission - BUT the California Highway Patrol (CHP) says you can't have ANY tint on your front windows other than what is integral with the window itself (done at factory).

The CHP get to make their own laws on the highways.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:03 AM   #9
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
I have in-channel WeatherTechs and no issue with them whatsoever.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #10
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Yaris View Post
What about lighter tint? Or can't you have any at all on the front/side windows?
Nope, the technical legal limit in Cali (70%) does not look different from no tint for the front windows, and no limit in the rear. It just prevents the UV from coming in. Plus, I don't want to pay 100 bucks for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkyd View Post
you talking about these? i have them and they just slide in channel. and they do not move at all. not at 120, not with windows up or down. i love them

http://www.weathertech.com/store/mvp...tChoiceIds=680
Cool. More for the in-channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXDEMON View Post
Asshole cops. How dark is your tint that they are ticketing you for it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post
y dont u show proof of safety inspection...since they must inspect for tint

to answer ur ? my dad's never had a prob w clip-ons for 6 yrs on his truk
Neither times that I got pulled over, the officer never tested the transmission % (but 35% is noticeably dark, but still, they're not following procedure).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkyd View Post
your tints in pics look darker than 70%, which is what PA laws say. i found that info on the internet so it might be wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuberio View Post
In California, the vehicle code says you need at least 70% light transmission - BUT the California Highway Patrol (CHP) says you can't have ANY tint on your front windows other than what is integral with the window itself (done at factory).

The CHP get to make their own laws on the highways.
Yup, I live in Cali. I hate how the CHP negates all the people who have SUV's and tint all the way around, but the second they see a tuner, they'll pull them over. Racial profiling I say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
I have in-channel WeatherTechs and no issue with them whatsoever.
Cool, good to know.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:54 AM   #11
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Okay, well, I was driving to my school going 60mph like I usually do, and I see a CHP on the onramp. So I roll my windows down, and he sudden slows down, and goes onto the shoulder of the exit I'm about to take. He lets me pass. I pull into a Chevron to buy drinks for my study group. As I'm about to finish parking, the CHP pulls me over (wtf? Why don't you pull me over before I park ). Anyway, he comes up to me and says, "I find it odd how you were driving slow, meaning you didn't want to pass me up" (wtf? Is he trying to be a smart ass? I drive slow all the time) "and you exited" (wtf again? It's the exit to my school!). "Also, you were driving with your windows down" (uhhh, I didn't know there was a law against driving with your windows down on the freeway). So I'm going to give you a ticket for tinted windows. And he never even bothered to ask me to roll up my windows, he just assumed that I had tinted windows.

So, this is the second fix-it for tint, so I'm going to scrape the front ones off and start using my A/C (I got the tint so that I could save gas by not using the A/C). Now, to try to compensate, I'm thinking about asking my gf for vent visors for my b-day. I really want the in-channel ones, but I've read the horror stories here of them flying off on the freeway. What are you guy's opinions. Which will look better on my car and give me the least amount of headaches, in-channels or tape ons?

Recent thread on vent visors:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16696
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:55 AM   #12
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
Yeah, I read that a while back, that's where I heard of the horror stories. LOL. I was mainly asking which type do you guys think will look better on my car. hehehe.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:53 AM   #13
Malaya1221
super duper M*******TOR

Drives: 2007 jahPANIS egg(Sarao Phil)
hey k, seen them on a 3 door lb...looks really good...getting one myself...i think it will also look good on your car...
Malaya1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:56 AM   #14
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaya1221 View Post
hey k, seen them on a 3 door lb...looks really good...getting one myself...i think it will also look good on your car...
Which one are you getting? The tape on one or the in-channel?
Old 05-06-2009, 02:15 AM   #15
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
This is why i only got 50 percent in the front. its light enough that most of the time you cant tell theres tint. So cops usually wont hassle me. If they do pull me over ill make up some lame excuse that it was the lightest possible tint and i have a skin condition that requires me to have UV protection from the suns harmful rays.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:20 AM   #16
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
This is why i only got 50 percent in the front. its light enough that most of the time you cant tell theres tint. So cops usually wont hassle me. If they do pull me over ill make up some lame excuse that it was the lightest possible tint and i have a skin condition that requires me to have UV protection from the suns harmful rays.
That won't fly. They'll ask you for an authentic doctors letter, stating that you have a skin condition. Now if you are on hydrochlorothiazide (antihypertensive medication), you might be able to ask your doc for proof since one of its adverse effects is photosensitivity (sunlight to skin will cause a rash), and then keep that with you in case you get pulled over.

Odd thing with my car (surprise it isn't the same for you) is that my tint looks darker than what it is since I have a dark interior/exterior. My car looked tinted without tint!
Old 05-06-2009, 02:21 AM   #17
Pitt Yaris

Many trucks or suvs including my parents come with darker factory tint than law. Wonder if someone could use that excuse with a yaris.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:27 AM   #18
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Yaris View Post
Many trucks or suvs including my parents come with darker factory tint than law. Wonder if someone could use that excuse with a yaris.
Perhaps. But I'm thinking the cop is going to make you pull out the original sticker to see that "privacy glass" was part of the option. If you reply with "I tossed that when I bought the car," then you're pretty much SOL.