Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-02-2009, 11:47 PM   #19
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Quote:
Originally Posted by redgreen View Post
guy at work let me drive his yaris on the same freeway i use
the steering is just ok but its alot better then my car.
so it looks like my car has a problem. lets see what the dealer
will do about it .. i offered the dealer $1000 if he will buy it back
i hope he will ... hope to be yarisless soon. but i'll be out $
i drove 2 yaris with the auto trans..the computer program for the trans
is wacked ..
ok i'll go away
I'll agree about the tranny, sometimes it just won't kick down especially between 35-45mph. Frustrating and sometimes scary while trying to merge.
Don't leave, we'de love to hear what happens with the buyback....

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:23 AM   #20
andries
aka Jack Wolfskin

Drives: Yaris
Send a message via MSN to andries
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZING View Post
I'm finding no problems controlling the car under heavy rain, and we get some bad winds over here..difference between euro and us yaris?

The EU versions have variable assist power steering.
The faster you go the less it works.
andries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:54 AM   #21
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Quote:
Originally Posted by andries
The EU versions have variable assist power steering.
The faster you go the less it works.
that sounds about right, but certainly not uncontrollable, I wonder if his actually has a problem.

I dont know about the tranny issue described, I have a 5 spd, so I cant offer any opinion there.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:29 AM   #22
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
I love power assist steering. You can really feel the road at high speeds. And then you have the power assist when you need while parking. Lot of sports cars are like this. But our little yaris comes this way from the factory. If you are comparing it to a luxury car where you can do a lane change with your pinky finger than it takes some getting usd to.

Also our cars are going to wander a bit because of the very narrow wheel base. If you want a more stable car at high speeds you want a wider wheel base. Its not a M3. But a good pro is the increadibly impressive turning radius and quick steering response time. You can lane change like a rabbit or avoid obsticles or debree in the road with no problem.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:40 PM   #23
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Sound like you have a warranty issue. Get it fixed. Be persistent. Take a ride with the Service Manager. - If no satisfaction THERE set up an appointment with the General Manager. The Yaris steering sucks, but its usually tolerable. Our car goes out of alignment over every bump. If you have the brigestones put about 29PSI instead of 32 see if this slows the response a bit. Make sure ther is at least 27 -28 in the rear - even though there is little weight back there, Our stock 15's were toast at 14K miles. Garbage.
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:44 PM   #24
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgreen View Post
nubee
just got a 09 3 DR . i have 130 miles on my new yaris and i hate it !
it's back at the dealers. heres the problem
the steering wheel sticks in the center when i'm on the freeway 65mph
and if the road has rain grooves it darts all over the place
i have to drive it with 2 hands to keep it in my lane.. this sucks
oh and the power steering cuts out at 30 mph
dealer said everything is fine and the computer turns off the P/S at 30..DUH
WHAT... part time P/S ... oh wonderful
i did a search of steering / EPS.. did not see any others with a problem like this
any ideas ?
Redgreen
Didnt you test drive the POS B4 you bought it? You should have felt the rubbery steering then. We drove 3, only ONE was tolerable AFA steering and engine response. A USED one from some guy near the Maine boarder.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:21 PM   #25
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
yeah thats strange. i fell in love with the handling of the yaris.. it turns great at low and high speeds without much effort.. Thats why this thing will do great on the track =D.. Never had any problems like that at all.. seems like it was made on a bad day or something.

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:50 PM   #26
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I love how the steering feels.
No more stinkin' P/S pump or leaky hoses!

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:33 PM   #27
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealEnth View Post
yeah thats strange. i fell in love with the handling of the yaris.. it turns great at low and high speeds without much effort.. Thats why this thing will do great on the track =D.. Never had any problems like that at all.. seems like it was made on a bad day or something.
Ive drinev a few of these and the steering ranges from barely tolerable to sloppy 2nd atrocious. I suspect your YAris was made on a very GOOD day. Enjoy it!
Old 01-06-2009, 03:29 PM   #28
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
I fixed my wandering problems just by throwing some Tanabe DF210's on it and getting rims with wider tires.

The Yaris has way too much wheel gap stock anyways.

As for the steering, I love mine also.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:59 PM   #29
mannyxyz
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris 2010
Toyota Yaris Steering Problem

With the statements read, Seems that all Yarises have the same problem earler or later. The problem being loss of steering control. My lady has a Yaris 2010, this posting is yr 2015. Her Yaris recently had a major Steering problem. While on the freeway, the Yaris swayed in various directions very dangerously. To such extent that using both hands she could not control it. Luckily, there were no cars next to nor around her. I wanted to check how the Yaris drove, so, she let me drive it. While driving her 2010 Yaris, The car jumped like a horse out of control sideways. I got so scared that I stopped the car and gave it back to her because she had better control of it than I did. She thinks that it happens because the car is old. However I think that Toyota has a great responsibility for this very endangering problem because it is a bad design problem. People can get killed with this dangerous problem.
mannyxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:46 PM   #30
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyxyz View Post
With the statements read, Seems that all Yarises have the same problem earler or later. The problem being loss of steering control. My lady has a Yaris 2010, this posting is yr 2015. Her Yaris recently had a major Steering problem. While on the freeway, the Yaris swayed in various directions very dangerously. To such extent that using both hands she could not control it. Luckily, there were no cars next to nor around her. I wanted to check how the Yaris drove, so, she let me drive it. While driving her 2010 Yaris, The car jumped like a horse out of control sideways. I got so scared that I stopped the car and gave it back to her because she had better control of it than I did. She thinks that it happens because the car is old. However I think that Toyota has a great responsibility for this very endangering problem because it is a bad design problem. People can get killed with this dangerous problem.

I would check the mounting bolts for the front control arms (the black A shaped metal pieces that the front wheels connect to). If the car spent any time in a salty area, the rear mounting bolt may have corroded and snapped (a known issue).
Old 09-18-2015, 07:16 PM   #31
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Wandering? Add an anti-sway bar in the rear. Several are available and should have been factory installed.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:20 PM   #32
bairjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyxyz View Post
Well I have a 2010 as well. I drive 70 miles everyday...most of the time I am cruising along at 80 mph. I have put over 90,000 mile on it at this time. The Yaris handles great or I wouldn't drive at that speed. I do have a rear sway bar installed which does improve handling but most likely not your issue. You did not mention how many miles is on the car or what kind of miles, freeway etc. High city miles could cause a loose front end and may be something to look at. How are the tires and what tires are on the thing? More information like this on the history, as well as, current condition of the car would be helpful. Like I stated, my 2010 has no issues as I have been diligent in taking care of it. Can this be said about yours?
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote