Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-02-2008, 11:45 PM   #1
dngz

Drives: black yaris sedan
Hand/Park/E-brake not working.

Does anybody know the location of the cable and how I can get to it?? If it's not my cable, what else would it be?? Thanks!
dngz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:51 PM   #2
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Brake drums supose to be adjusted every 6 months. Requires you to remove the wheel and ajust them manually. If your getting your vehicle serviced at the dealer regularly this should have been done. If not you can wait till the next time i do mine ill take some pictures and post a diy
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:14 AM   #3
m911gt
Carless in Chicago

Drives: 08 Blk LB
I am supposed to take my rear wheels off every six months and adjust my brake drums? I have never ever heard of doing this to a new vehicle. Why would we have to do this? I don't think I've ever even read about this maintenance on YW before? Nor is it in my dealer recommended service booklet.

As far as the cable goes, if you remove the plastic center housing over the ebrake handle (the entire center piece) you will see a piece of threaded rod and I believe two nuts, the nuts are for adjusting the ebrake cable. I'm sorry, but that's about as technical as I can get right now without going outside and taking mine apart...again.

Some say that he is the secret love child of Ferrari and Porsche, and others say that he would lap James May twice in a 1/4 mile drag race. All we know is that he is called The Stig.
m911gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:25 AM   #4
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
The ebrakes tend to be a little loose on the Yaris... You probably just need to tension the cable via the threaded rod and nut just in front of the ebrake handle. Pull out the little trim piece and you can get to it fairly easy. I think you just need a 10mm deep well socket, wrench, and extension.

If this is not tha case and you need to adjust the cylinders inside the drums, just take it to the dealer. It's simple, but if you don't know what your doing I wouldn't attempt it. If you do attemt it, you DO NOT need to remove the wheels. There are rubber plugs on the inside edge of the drums that you can get into from under the car to adjust the cylinders. A small flathead screwdriver is really all you need for this. But don't attemp it if you've never done it before.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:52 AM   #5
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
All vehicles equipt with brake drums need to be cleaned and adjusted. Usually done when tires are rotated every 6 months to a year. They self adjust normally when you are going in reverse but sometimes they need a little more adjustment. easily can be felt when your parking brake takes more than 3 clicks to go up. Or in your case no longer works. Since the pads have such a large length of travel to the drum before they engage. They would have to be adjusted.

You can try to do it yourself with the right tools and knowhow can be dont easily in about 20 minutes for both sides. Or you can take it to a shop, most charge between 30-40 to perform this service.

I would advise to remove the wheels to acurately adjust them.

A type written diy without pictures would go like this

Place vehicle in park and put wheel chocks on the front wheels.

place floor jack on left rear of vehicle under the lift point and jack up the rear till the tire is almost off the ground. Then take a breaker bar and break loose all bolts. If you lift it all the way up the wheel will spin and you wont be able to loosen them.

Next remove the tire. The brake drum may be hard to remove. You can try to smack the outside with a hammer or rubber mallet. Then remove the drum by pulling and turning clockwise.

Take your garden hose or a spray bottle filled with water and some dishsoap and rinse out the drum. If you use brake cleaner you will have to lube the backing plate or you may get squeeking later on.

Then take a flathead screwdriver and turn the starwheel a few turns you will see it on the top portion. Then put the drum back on and spin it lightly clockwise. It should turn one full turn. If it spins more than that take it back off and adjust it some more. Keep doing it till it stop 3/4 to a full turn. When thats done put the wheel back on and take your breaker bar while holding the wheel and tighten the bolts down as tight as you can. Then lower the car and take your torque wrench and tighten the wheel down to 76 foot pounds. And repeat same process for other side.

After you are done you will notice your brake pedal feels much firmer as well as your brakes feel more efficient as you can stop better now. As well as your parking brake requiring less travel and works now.

It is not too difficult with the proper toools. I am sure if you google rear brake adjustment you can find some pictures and some execellent diys
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:03 AM   #6
dngz

Drives: black yaris sedan
thanks everybody! Ill see what I can do!
dngz is offline   Reply With Quote