Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-23-2018, 01:03 AM   #433
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
Can’t thank you enough for the handsome gifts you’ve generously distributed to us. You’re kindness will be remembered every time the emblem strikes a conversation.
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 07:01 AM   #434
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmstrongRacing View Post
Can’t thank you enough for the handsome gifts you’ve generously distributed to us. You’re kindness will be remembered every time the emblem strikes a conversation.
Hey, you're more than welcome, man! A small gesture for the countless hours you guys put in helping me with my swap.

I haven't mounted my badge yet, but hope to soon. I'll post up a pic. I think a dedicated thread with pics of all our swapped cars with the badges would be cool.

As a brief update, I'd had been having some exhaust issues. The Megan was banging on the spring pan under any driving conditions. I had it in the shop yesterday and tried some adjustments. I turned the midpipe (it's fixed with a clamp in the middle) and tightened the clamp and removed and reinstalled the rear spring bolts. Also replaced a few rubber hangers. It's still not where I want it. It's also hanging a bit low for my liking. On hard left turns and a bump, it will hit the plate. I'm really considering taking it to an exhaust shop and having them do it, including upping the resonator to muffler flange with 2.25" pipe.

About a month ago, a rock flew off an oncoming car and cracked my windshield close to the passenger A-piller. It was about - 15C here yesterday and as I started driving to work - I took it to work to fix the exhaust - I heard this sound like a zipper and the crack shot right across the windshield, right to the driver's side.

I've been romping on the car a bit more lately - running it up to close to redline from about 30 km/h up and, man, this thing pulls!!! Not that torque steer is a desireable attribute, but it's nice to know there's extra power there. I can see why an LSD would be great for additional traction and likely necessary with any additional performance upgrades.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 11-23-2018 at 06:19 PM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:29 PM   #435
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
An LSD also helps huge in the snow - or at least a clutch type LSD does. I'm amazed at how well it chugs through the snow with winter tires while both front tires are spinning.

A stock height yaris with 4 winter tires and a clutch type LSD would be a snow machine. Just woukdjt make much sense to put that amount of money into a yaris for snow traction if you could just buy an awd for that amount.

I echo Tom's sentiments, thanks a ton for buying us all the badges, it was a great idea and much appreciated
Old 11-23-2018, 06:25 PM   #436
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
An LSD also helps huge in the snow - or at least a clutch type LSD does. I'm amazed at how well it chugs through the snow with winter tires while both front tires are spinning.

A stock height yaris with 4 winter tires and a clutch type LSD would be a snow machine. Just woukdjt make much sense to put that amount of money into a yaris for snow traction if you could just buy an awd for that amount.

I echo Tom's sentiments, thanks a ton for buying us all the badges, it was a great idea and much appreciated
You're welcome, Trevor.

Yeah, I bet an LSD would be amazing. Just as a matter of interest, would the same LSD be used for both auto and manual transmission?

On another note, I've been watching videos on the Yaris's that have been swapped with the 2ZZ engine. Now that would be a swap! That valve lift is something else. I bet the Yaris transmission would grenade if connected to one of those engines. I wonder if a 2zz and its mated transmission would be a crazy difficult install.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 11-23-2018, 07:13 PM   #437
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
+1 buddy, muchly appreciated! And glad to see you're having a grand time hooning about with your new found torque!

Hhhmmm... LSD + winter tires = snow machine, you say...

re: exhaust - it seems to be the way of the world, lol. Functionally, it works just fine, but the principle of clunkage and banging is just a nuisance.. I hear ya. I'm sure the professionals at a decent exhaust shop can get you sorted. Overall the car is looking (and sounding) great, man.

Take care!
-- Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:50 PM   #438
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

You can’t use a clutch type lsd in an automatic due to he fluid type restriction. You could install one of those wavetrac units though, but I’m not sure it’s worth the effort
Old 11-23-2018, 10:26 PM   #439
06YarisRS

Quote:
You can’t use a clutch type lsd in an automatic due to he fluid type restriction. You could install one of those wavetrac units though, but I’m not sure it’s worth the effort
Ah, interesting. Thanks! Yeah, it sounds like it would be crazy expensive. I'm more than happy with the performance as it stands. I had it out tonight - the roads are clear and dry - and I did a few pulls from about 30 km/h up. Pulls, pulls, pulls. I did one 0 - 60 run but couldn't get my dang Torque to record my time. On the way back from the store there's a long hill on the highway. I sailed up that at 140 and the 2zr wasn't even breaking a sweat. Exhaust sounds pertty good inside with very minimal droning - nothing that a couple more clicks of the volume knob won't fix. At cruise, around 110 km/h and about 2800 rpm, it's very acceptable.

Old 11-23-2018, 11:04 PM   #440
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic_hoji View Post
+1 buddy, muchly appreciated! And glad to see you're having a grand time hooning about with your new found torque!

Hhhmmm... LSD + winter tires = snow machine, you say...

re: exhaust - it seems to be the way of the world, lol. Functionally, it works just fine, but the principle of clunkage and banging is just a nuisance.. I hear ya. I'm sure the professionals at a decent exhaust shop can get you sorted. Overall the car is looking (and sounding) great, man.

Take care!
-- Adam
Thanks Adam! Yeah, I'm definitely going to set up an appointment at an exhaust shop. I'll make my final decision about upsizing the pipe soon.

I haven't shipped your or Trevor's badge yet as I haven't time to seek out alternative shipping. But, it should be soon though.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:06 AM   #441
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
About a month ago, a rock flew off an oncoming car and cracked my windshield close to the passenger A-piller. It was about - 15C here yesterday and as I started driving to work - I took it to work to fix the exhaust - I heard this sound like a zipper and the crack shot right across the windshield, right to the driver's side.
Oh good, now I'm not the only 2ZR swap with a cracked windshield.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:09 AM   #442
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Oh good, now I'm not the only 2ZR swap with a cracked windshield.
Haha, no you're not. I think I'll wait until spring, when the car comes out of storage, to get the window replaced.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:35 PM   #443
06YarisRS

Badge

Looks as though the badge is going to require some modifications to fit on my car. The original TS grille seems to be more of a 'square' honeycomb and mine is more of a vertically elongated honeycomb. So, I'll be thinking about ways to adapt it to fit. A little disappointing, but definitely solvable. I'm wondering if a really strong RTV sealant would be adequate.

I thought I might buy a knockoff TS grille but the only honeycomb style grilles on eBay appear to be the same as mine.

Sorry, gentlemen, I thought these would be a direct fit, snap on item - at least for Sam and me (hatchbacks). If anyone has any suggestions about how to afix the badge, I'm all ears. Thanks.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 11-26-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:59 PM   #444
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
How about knocking enough clip off to allow it to sit flat on grill. Epoxy a nylon bolt onto the back of badge. Tighten into grill with nylon nut.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2018, 09:03 PM   #445
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
How about knocking enough clip off to allow it to sit flat on grill. Epoxy a nylon bolt onto the back of badge. Tighten into grill with nylon nut.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Excellent suggestion WeeYari. Before reading this, I went out and attached the badge. As you suggested, I removed a couple of the clips. Then it would sit flush and stay put, but not strongly affixed. I put large globs of RTV sealant on the clips, then went around behind and applied more rtv, basically creating a big blob that connected all of the remaining clips. Since it's cold in my garage, I gently used my heat gun to warm the rtv. When this cures, the grill would come with the badge if pulled hard enough.

Here are a couple pics. Sorry about the quality. Crap camera and bad lighting.

Here's a better one taken outside.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 12-02-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:08 PM   #446
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Awesome!
Old 11-29-2018, 12:23 PM   #447
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Badge

Looks as though the badge is going to require some modifications to fit on my car. The original TS grille seems to be more of a 'square' honeycomb and mine is more of a vertically elongated honeycomb. So, I'll be thinking about ways to adapt it to fit. A little disappointing, but definitely solvable. I'm wondering if a really strong RTV sealant would be adequate.

I thought I might buy a knockoff TS grille but the only honeycomb style grilles on eBay appear to be the same as mine.

Sorry, gentlemen, I thought these would be a direct fit, snap on item - at least for Sam and me (hatchbacks). If anyone has any suggestions about how to afix the badge, I'm all ears. Thanks.
I looked up the badge part number on toyodiy.com and it's only for the 1st gen Vitz (Echo in the US/Canada). There is/was a TS badge for the Euro ZSP90 (75312-52060) but I don't show any hits on the gargler for places that have it available for purchase. That also assumes you have a compatible grille for it (only available on JDM 05-08 RS or EURO 06-08 TS models). That said, I'm still going to try and rig something up to put it on mine. =)
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:44 PM   #448
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
I looked up the badge part number on toyodiy.com and it's only for the 1st gen Vitz (Echo in the US/Canada). There is/was a TS badge for the Euro ZSP90 (75312-52060) but I don't show any hits on the gargler for places that have it available for purchase. That also assumes you have a compatible grille for it (only available on JDM 05-08 RS or EURO 06-08 TS models). That said, I'm still going to try and rig something up to put it on mine. =)
Yeah, I couldn't find anything other than the ones I got. It actually isn't too bad for installation, at least for my grille. I would have used WeeYari's suggestion about epoxying a plastic bolt to it and using a plastic nut to secure it, but I'd already 'glued' it on.

Looks like your badge arrived. I look forward to seeing it on your car when you get the opportunity to install it.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:12 PM   #449
06YarisRS

Picked up my sway bar and A/C manifold gauge kit and the fittings needed to attach to the R134 can. Required an R134 can tap, flare to male pipe half union and pipe coupling.

I nearly gave myself a hernia lifting the vacuum pump out of the box. Man, that's a solid pump!

Holding 30" of vacuum after 90 minutes. I'm confident that the system is leak free. Will put a 45 minute vacuum on the system tomorrow, then fill with refrigerant ~15 - 17 oz, or about 1 and slightly less than 1/2 cans. EDIT: looks more like 13 - 14 oz of R134 All this, just in time for winter. At least the system will remain uncontaminated. I didn't want to leave any air/moisture in the system.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 12-19-2018 at 10:51 PM.