Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-19-2018, 06:09 AM   #1
miiser

Drives: yaris 2009
New OEM style Android headunit

Hi guys,

After a long search and a lot of confusion whether to buy a brand name HU or a Chinese Android HU, I finally made up my mind and I pulled the trigger on an OEM style Android one, that I found at great price.
Here it is:

I am very pleased with the fitment and the looks even thought the color is not exactly the same, it’s more bright silver than the climate control panel but it’s ok for me.

About the sound quality:
first of all it’s a HUGE upgrade over the stock headunit. It has way more power and the speakers really came up to life. Also the quality is good enough, better than I expected. Of course if you are a serious audiophile you might not be very pleased. In this case you should go for the big brandnames like pioneer kenwood etc.

My only problem so far:
Damn the radio reception is weak. I plugged the amp wire to the headunit to amplify the signal, but I had no luck. It’s still weak compared to the stock headunit. I don’t know how to fix the problem. Any ideas ??

About the installation:
Took 10 minutes. Every wire was plug and play with the factory wirings. There are adapters in the box that makes your life much easier. I only had to screw unscrew the bolts. Straight forward process.

Am I happy overall?
Of course. This headunit brings my 2008 yaris, to the present standards. It’s a very nice upgrade and you can customize it as much as you like. Plus there are tons of apps in the play store. The only thing that worries me is the antenna situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
miiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:30 AM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Looks great. I don't think I've ever seen that gunmetal colour your stock plastic trim is. The colour of the HU itself looks like a perfect match for the silver trim I'm used to.

I've had two aftermarket HUs both with reception which falls well short of stock. I don't think anyone has come up with a solution that gets it up to par.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2018, 11:23 AM   #3
miiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Looks great. I don't think I've ever seen that gunmetal colour your stock plastic trim is. The colour of the HU itself looks like a perfect match for the silver trim I'm used to.

I've had two aftermarket HUs both with reception which falls well short of stock. I don't think anyone has come up with a solution that gets it up to par.

Thanks!
Oh really? Maybe this color is only one Europe models. Or maybe from the facelifted 2008 + onwards model?

Hmm I saw many posts about the antenna situation. And I didn’t saw anyone mention any solutions yet. Maybe an aftermarket signal amplifier ?? That’s what I am thinking

Old 10-19-2018, 11:13 PM   #4
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:

+1 on all points.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:16 PM   #5
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by miiser View Post
Hi guys,

After a long search and a lot of confusion whether to buy a brand name HU or a Chinese Android HU, I finally made up my mind and I pulled the trigger on an OEM style Android one, that I found at great price.
Here it is:

I am very pleased with the fitment and the looks even thought the color is not exactly the same, it’s more bright silver than the climate control panel but it’s ok for me.

About the sound quality:
first of all it’s a HUGE upgrade over the stock headunit. It has way more power and the speakers really came up to life. Also the quality is good enough, better than I expected. Of course if you are a serious audiophile you might not be very pleased. In this case you should go for the big brandnames like pioneer kenwood etc.

My only problem so far:
Damn the radio reception is weak. I plugged the amp wire to the headunit to amplify the signal, but I had no luck. It’s still weak compared to the stock headunit. I don’t know how to fix the problem. Any ideas ??

About the installation:
Took 10 minutes. Every wire was plug and play with the factory wirings. There are adapters in the box that makes your life much easier. I only had to screw unscrew the bolts. Straight forward process.

Am I happy overall?
Of course. This headunit brings my 2008 yaris, to the present standards. It’s a very nice upgrade and you can customize it as much as you like. Plus there are tons of apps in the play store. The only thing that worries me is the antenna situation.

Have you tried PowerAmp yet? Actually, I think you can get a fully functional free demo for a period of time. I think you'll find it considerably better than the stock player. Glad to hear your install was easy. Gotta love the plug-and-play aspect. The unit looks really great in your Yaris.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:56 AM   #6
miiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Have you tried PowerAmp yet? Actually, I think you can get a fully functional free demo for a period of time. I think you'll find it considerably better than the stock player. Glad to hear your install was easy. Gotta love the plug-and-play aspect. The unit looks really great in your Yaris.

Thank you! I am going to download it these days ;)

Old 10-21-2018, 02:45 AM   #7
scylla

Drives: 2015 Yaris L
I haven't changed my HU, but do remember reading somewhere that the Yaris has a powered antenna. If it's not properly hooked up it gets lousy reception.

Maybe if you are able to get a schematic of both your old and new HU's you could troubleshoot it from there.
scylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:39 AM   #8
WeeYari

Quote:
Originally Posted by scylla View Post
I haven't changed my HU, but do remember reading somewhere that the Yaris has a powered antenna. If it's not properly hooked up it gets lousy reception.
The powered antenna is well known by now, and is not the issue. Without providing power to it, reception is near nonexistent. When power is supplied, reception improves significantly but still falls short of OEM units.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:05 AM   #9
miiser

New OEM style Android headunit

Quote:
The powered antenna is well known by now, and is not the issue. Without providing power to it, reception is near nonexistent. When power is supplied, reception improves significantly but still falls short of OEM units.

Yea, plus I already mentioned that I have hooked up the antenna amp already.
That’s not the problem. Something else is... maybe an aftermarket antenna amp will fix the problem? I don’t know honestly it’s weird. I can’t understand why Toyota made a simple radio swap, such a pain in the *** with the radio signal loss...

Also I have to mention that I didn’t saw any big difference by plugging the antenna amp. Of course there is difference. But not that noticeable

Old 10-21-2018, 09:31 AM   #10
WeeYari

iirc, I found the biggest difference in the AM band. Practically nothing picked up in AM while FM did receive very local stations fine without being powered. Power it up and AM came to life and the more distant FM stations came in, just much weaker than expected.

Again, this is the experience with 2 different, major brand, HUs.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:00 PM   #11
miiser

Quote:
iirc, I found the biggest difference in the AM band. Practically nothing picked up in AM while FM did receive very local stations fine without being powered. Power it up and AM came to life and the more distant FM stations came in, just much weaker than expected.

Again, this is the experience with 2 different, major brand, HUs.

We have no am here in my county anymore for like 20 years.
Yes that’s my experience too. Weak distant fm stations. It’s better with the stronger stations but again not like the stock