Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-05-2009, 08:19 AM   #1
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
Planning first oil change @ 500 or 1000mi

As I've done with most of my new cars, I plan on changing the factory oil at 500 or 1000 miles. I feel that getting that break-in oil out asap is a good thing, and I find the motor gets quieter and feels nicer after that first change.

Can anyone give me a good reason not to change the oil that early? I'm assuming Toyota does not use some special break-in oil that I need to keep in there for the first 5000 miles.

I plan on using Toyota oil for the first change (I know, I know, price gouging), then switching to another brand after.

Thanks all!
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:21 AM   #2
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
I believe it DOES have break-in oil with detergents to wear correctly during the first oil-change period.

there have been threads on this already
Old 04-05-2009, 08:24 AM   #3
schleppy
I love momentum.

Reading some of the existing threads, this seems to be a point of contention for a lot of people. I don't want to open a can of worms.

I guess my only real question is whether or not the oil in the car from the factory is special or not. If it is, I'll keep it, if it's not, I'm going to change it out. Cheap insurance in my mind.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:51 AM   #4
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Read and follow your owner's manual...
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:09 AM   #5
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Change the oil after 1000 miles. It shouldn't make any difference.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:19 PM   #6
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
I changed my oil after 500 miles. Then installed a magentic drain plug and powerful magnet on my oil filter. And changed it again in another 1000 miles. You wouldnt belive how heavy the oil filter was after 1k miles from all the metal wear particles trapped inside. And the magnet on the oil drain plug as well. If you have ever changed the transmission fluid on a honda that has a magnet on thier drain plug you know what i mean when i say it took several whipes of a rag to get it all off.

I think its a good way to extend the life of your oil pump. As well as cut down on engine wear. Little bit extra money but cheap insurance.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:01 PM   #7
andaconda

Drives: '09 Yaris Sedan
On any car that I have purchased I have always changed the oil and filter at 500 miles, then again at 1500 miles, again at 3000 miles -- then kept them on 3000 mile intervals. Never changed oil without changing the filter too. I have never had any problem doing it that way over the years.
andaconda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:05 PM   #8
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by andaconda View Post
On any car that I have purchased I have always changed the oil and filter at 500 miles, then again at 1500 miles, again at 3000 miles -- then kept them on 3000 mile intervals. Never changed oil without changing the filter too. I have never had any problem doing it that way over the years.
Dude those arabs should send you a plaque for generosity above and beyond the call of duty.Arent you glad you dont have to use Shell Helix oil at $80 a quart.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:49 PM   #9
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Oil preferences and oil changing habits are one of the "holy wars" of every automotive forum. You'll never get a concensus.

I doubt that the factory fill oil is anything special, just bulk oil of the correct spec. I also doubt that there's any benefit to changing it before 5k miles, but do it if it makes you happy.

I DO have an opinion on synthetic oil, however. Every engine needs to break in for optimal performance. If you switch to synthetic oil too soon, you stop or at least greatly hinder the break-in process (yes, synthetic oil is that good). If you're going to use synthetic oil, wait until after 5k miles to switch. Then (holy war point again), aside from the warranty requirement to change the oil at 5k, you can get away with 10k synthetic oil changes if you want.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:46 AM   #10
jambo101

If the engineers who designed the engine say to change the oil at 6000 miles/10000kms thats good enough for me i'll presume they know more about the engine than i do .
Old 04-15-2009, 08:05 AM   #11
schleppy
I love momentum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
Oil preferences and oil changing habits are one of the "holy wars" of every automotive forum. You'll never get a concensus.

I doubt that the factory fill oil is anything special, just bulk oil of the correct spec. I also doubt that there's any benefit to changing it before 5k miles, but do it if it makes you happy.

I DO have an opinion on synthetic oil, however. Every engine needs to break in for optimal performance. If you switch to synthetic oil too soon, you stop or at least greatly hinder the break-in process (yes, synthetic oil is that good). If you're going to use synthetic oil, wait until after 5k miles to switch. Then (holy war point again), aside from the warranty requirement to change the oil at 5k, you can get away with 10k synthetic oil changes if you want.
I'm 100% with you on this one. I will do at least the first three oil changes using dino, then consider switching to synth.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:36 AM   #12
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If the engineers who designed the engine say to change the oil at 6000 miles/10000kms thats good enough for me i'll presume they know more about the engine than i do .
5000miles or 8000km. don't get people wrong here.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:12 AM   #13
andaconda

Quote:
Dude those arabs should send you a plaque for generosity above and beyond the call of duty.Arent you glad you dont have to use Shell Helix oil at $80 a quart.

I know, I know...
But I've always had good luck doing it this way.
As for oil brands --- each to his own. I think any name brand is ok.
I work in a fleet shop and have used the cheapest oil that is bid out.
We change at 3000 miles and most of our vehicles go 2 and 3 hundred thousand miles without any engine problems. Now that's on the least expensive 5w30 oil that we can find.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:38 AM   #14
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
changed oil at 1000 miles and installed header/crank pulley at same time....
Old 04-15-2009, 12:21 PM   #15
jambo101

Quote:
Originally Posted by andaconda View Post
I know, I know...
But I've always had good luck doing it this way.
As for oil brands --- each to his own. I think any name brand is ok.
I work in a fleet shop and have used the cheapest oil that is bid out.
We change at 3000 miles and most of our vehicles go 2 and 3 hundred thousand miles without any engine problems. Now that's on the least expensive 5w30 oil that we can find.
Double the oil change interval on one or two of your fleet vehicles and see if there is any noticeable difference after 250k.if no difference tell your boss you have a great way of saving the company some money and its also good for the environment.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:43 PM   #16
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
Dropped the oil at 1,000 miles and switched to synthetic. Changed again at 3,500. Now I will continue the synthetic regimen every 3,000 miles or 6 months (whichever comes first).
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:42 PM   #17
andaconda

Quote:
Double the oil change interval on one or two of your fleet vehicles and see if there is any noticeable difference after 250k.if no difference tell your boss you have a great way of saving the company some money and its also good for the environment.
As a matter of fact -- Last year to save money, they changed the interval themselves to 5000 miles between. I disagreed with the policy, but it was not my call. We average about 6000 miles a month on each vehicle. We have had two blown engines, both Buick V6's, both at about 50,000 miles. Warranty covered both of them. One cam failure on a GMC diesel that was not covered. I personally would go back to 3000 changes myself.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:17 PM   #18
evil genius

Drives: 09 Yaris S 3dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Read and follow your owner's manual...
Agree. My dealer had a new car buyer seminar and they stated any deviation from oil change recommendations can void lubricated parts warranty. For me, I'll be hitting 6 months with about 365 miles and I will be taking it in for scheduled maintenance.
evil genius is offline   Reply With Quote