Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-16-2009, 12:10 PM   #1
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
BENT VALVES in the head: tell me how that happens....

just like topic says. please tell me how valves in the head wind up getting bent????
BLAZINBLUEVITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
over revving.. stretching of the timing chain... vvti solenoid going bad and allowing too much timing advance..

or in my case.. snapping a connecting rod.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

got an 08 tc which was in before and had motor/head replaced under warranty for a ticking noise in the valvetrain. customer is back 3 months and 15,000 miles later and now ALL of the valves in the head are bent?
Old 02-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
jkuchta

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch (red)
So what's the customer's story?
jkuchta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZINBLUEVITZ View Post
got an 08 tc which was in before and had motor/head replaced under warranty for a ticking noise in the valvetrain. customer is back 3 months and 15,000 miles later and now ALL of the valves in the head are bent?
what weight of oil is he running?

wait.. you're coming to YARISWORLD for tech support?
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:12 PM   #6
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkuchta View Post
So what's the customer's story?
and i quote " i drive 200 miles a day and never go above 70mph on the highway" and "all i did was get gas and car statred to lose power afterward"

car has intake and header( which were removed before he brought in) as well as secondary cat delete and megan exhaust.....
Old 02-16-2009, 01:16 PM   #7
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZINBLUEVITZ View Post
and i quote " i drive 200 miles a day and never go above 70mph on the highway" and "all i did was get gas and car statred to lose power afterward"

car has intake and header( which were removed before he brought in) as well as secondary cat delete and megan exhaust.....
customer did a 1-2-1 shift or a 2-3-2 shift. he over-rev'd the engine.

warranty DENIED

edit: have the tech pull off the crankshaft pulley and look for scoring on the roll pin.. you'll find it's most likely bent or almost broken.
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #8
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole

Drives: MY07 Yaris Liftback
Assuming the install was done correctly Tamago is probably right.

although if the install wasn't done right it could be numerous things.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:04 PM   #9
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
wait.. you're coming to YARISWORLD for tech support?
...and that's a problem because?
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:39 PM   #10
rob323
Don't drive it, RALLY it!

Drives: 1999 echo PRC rally car
Does the timing chain still have tension?
rob323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:45 PM   #11
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob323 View Post
Does the timing chain still have tension?
iirc the newer chain tensioners are oil pressure activated and ratcheting... so they'd take up any slack.. so yeah, you may want to check that the teeth on the tensioner are not worn off.. but i still sniff a mis-shift.
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:50 PM   #12
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
...and that's a problem because?
not as much a problem as a slight source of amusement to me.. because most of the 'knowledge' on this forum orbits around what offset wheel you can run without rubbing and what weight of oil you can/cannot run...

so a question about bent valves being asked here where the OLDEST yaris on the forum (US, anyway) is approaching 3yrs old.
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:52 PM   #13
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
not as much a problem as a slight source of amusement to me.. because most of the 'knowledge' on this forum orbits around what offset wheel you can run without rubbing and what weight of oil you can/cannot run...
probably because any talk of STREET RACING or ripping around the twisties with a new part installed is off limits....
Old 02-17-2009, 01:45 AM   #14
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback White
Valves were probably adjusted too tight if they had to do any kind of valve adjustment. Tight valves would lift too much causing contact with the piston and bending the valves.
FunctionSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:26 AM   #15
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Does the Yaris have a rev limiter like my old Passat? I don't drive mine as wildly as I did my old VR6, plus it is an auto, so I don't know...

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:47 AM   #16
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Yes, it's set at 6K RPM. Valve damage would occur if driven for too long like that because of strain and overheating.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:31 AM   #17
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunctionSpec View Post
Valves were probably adjusted too tight if they had to do any kind of valve adjustment. Tight valves would lift too much causing contact with the piston and bending the valves.
lol dude...

tight valves.. lifting too much... yet somehow coming in contact with the pistons??

the valve springs lift the valves, the cams push them down..

blazinblue did your tech check the crankshaft pulley yet?
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:37 AM   #18
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Barring extremely unusual circumstances, don't valves only get bent when they come into contact with pistons? There's really only one way that can happen... the valve timing has gone off in a major way. Typically, that means something broke (timing chain broke or stretched, VVT messed up, whatever) or the engine was severely over-revved to the point that the valve springs couldn't keep up and one or more valves stayed open when they should have been closed.

I'm going with the "3-2 shift". Winding up 3rd and missing 4th, dumping the clutch in 2nd gear with the car going 80 mph. Ponder that for a moment. If the engine turns about 6200 rpm at 60 mph, you can easily zing it past 8000 in this manner... instantly. And if you're not quick enough to realize it instantly (or quite possibly even if you are), you can do some damage in a hurry.

I did it once in my old Saturn, but I realized it before I even got the clutch fully engaged and no damage occurred. From what I'm seeing with my son as he's learning the finer points of driving a stick... if he did it, he'd more likely fully engage the clutch and leave it there and wonder "why don't I have any power" until valves started poking holes in the hood. And I don't think my son is all that unusual as far as young folks learning to drive stick go.

Remember, a rev-limiter can save you from over-reving under power. The engine will simply never rev ITSELF far enough to hurt itself, the ECU won't let it. But NOTHING can save you from a botched shift! The solution is to learn to trust your shifter. Don't FORCE your shifts, "guide" your shifts. The shifter is spring loaded and will go into the proper place if you let it.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote