Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-21-2018, 12:30 PM   #1
ACKING_QC
ManualTransmissionLearner

Drives: 2018 VW TSi Stage1
motorbike engine swap

I know... I know... some of you may bash rocks at me.... but I wanted to know....what if.... I could swap a motorbike engine in the silly Yaris I have ?

I mean.. I want this 12-13k rpm goodness sound... whitout the unreliability of the rotary engine (as good as the engine sounds.... it's still a fragile thing)

I wonder what engine could be the best bang4buck for that kind of project (of course if this happens, it'll be RWD and engine in the rear too...

Hayabusa engine (over rated or not?)
some big Ninja ZX engine ?

I want to hear what can be good :)
ACKING_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:19 PM   #2
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
Haters throw rocks,
Confidence is your shield,
Do it!

Best bet is to find a setup that's been done before with as many commony available parts as possible - the better the support, the more easy your life will be; unless you're all for trail blazing, then more power to you man! At a quick glance seems like the Mini crowd has an established community of bike engine swaps, probably a good start for research.

Good luck if you end up diving into it! That'll be one wicked little Yaris.
-- Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:27 PM   #3
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Hayabusa would be my vote. I remember watching a by ::) of radicals tear up Mosport last year and they all had hyabusa engines (and stupid light frames).

What Adam said above it good advice, going off what others have done make everything a bit easier
Old 01-21-2018, 03:30 PM   #4
ACKING_QC
ManualTransmissionLearner

Drives: 2018 VW TSi Stage1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Hayabusa would be my vote. I remember watching a by ::) of radicals tear up Mosport last year and they all had hyabusa engines (and stupid light frames).

What Adam said above it good advice, going off what others have done make everything a bit easier
I was thinking about something other than a Busa engine... I feel it's a little too common... kind of.... but yeah... a busa RWD powered Yaris would be the ultimate go kart... not sure it'll like winters tho....
ACKING_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:22 AM   #5
Jedi4690

Drives: 2003 Yaris 1.3
I’d go for an R1 engine personally, R1 engines have been swapped into more things over the years than hayabusa engines, I remember looking into buying a mini years. Ago to retrofit an R1 engine there’s a company out there that sell a cradle ready for the engine to sit in, they also sell the chain drive transfer box that would be needed to get the power to the wheels. I’ll have a look on my pc see if I can find a link to the page and post it on here
Jedi4690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:44 PM   #6
Ronnie V

Drives: 04 3dr HB and 04 5dr RS
Interesting.......a though I have had also. Incidentally I also have a Radical. Did you know a Echo HB is the same wheelbase as a SR3 and the SR3 is only 3" wider overall. So we figured we would start with a junk SR3 and swap the Echo body over.......all the engineering done and damn would it work well at the track. :)

and BTW, Busa ALL THE WAY, more aftermarket support than you can believe. Over 400hp easy with a turbo.
Ronnie V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 03:08 PM   #7
Sachiel

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2009
You could get your engine changed, but it might cost you the same money you would have to give for a brand new one. Back in the 2000s, I was a real motorcycle enthusiast, and I did get my engine swapped, and it freaking cost me an arm and a leg. Later during the summer, a very close friend who lived in Australia invited me over. Since he only had one motorcycle, but we both have a "special connection" with motorcycles, we decided to rent some motorcycles in Australia. Oh boy, the vibes, the breeze, the beauty of nature, it's been totally worth it! So, if you're still young and free and wanna experience something that is out of this world, get your ticket to Australia and ride a motorcycle here! You'll thank me later!

Last edited by Sachiel; 05-15-2021 at 04:58 AM.
Sachiel is offline   Reply With Quote