Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
Yari-Chan

Drives: 2009 4-Door Sedan
50,000 mile Maintenance

In December of 2011 I went to the dealership to get an oil change. Of course they tell me I have other issues with my car but I declined them all. The services they recommended were:
-fuel system service=$150
-vent cleaning service=$100
-rear break service=$75 and
-4 wheel alignment=$120.

I just got my snow tires taken off at Costco and put my all weather tires back on so I don't need a 4 wheel alignment but I'm not sure what the other services entail. Does anyone know if these services are really necessary? I am going to get another oil change at a different Toyota dealership next week. We will see if they think I need the same services. I have 50,000 miles on my 2009 Yaris Sedan.

Any recommendations, suggestions and information are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Akiko
Yari-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
Zebra

Drives: Yaris HB
I recommend that you find a different dealership....
Old 04-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
To some extent, they will all tell you the same thing. Without even looking at the car, they will check your vehicle age/mileage against a Toyota recommended maintenace schedule and tell you that you are due for such and such.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
Nicfin
Nic

Drives: 2008 3-Door Liftback Manual
All those you listed they can easily claim as performing without doing them at all. Or, at the very least, don't require much effort for what they are charging. I see none of them as necessary. If you want to keep your fuel system/injectors clean, buy a can of BG44K and run it through a tank maybe once a year or a little more often if you put on a lot of miles. It is the only additive I will pour in the tank. I've used other stuff like STP fuel cleaner and I don't think it ever did anything.

Vent cleaning: They probably run a little brush in the front vents so it looks like they did something.

Brakes: The might take off the rear drums and make sure your pads are not worn out. I would be surprised if they do that.

Alignment: At most, they will check the alignment and charge you for it. Unless the car is pulling to one side or has obvious signs of an alignment issue, I would leave it alone. More often than not, many places will screw up an alignment rather than fix anything. I only take my vehicles to one place around here for alignments. They are the only ones I trust, and I rarely have them done unless I know I did something to throw my vehicle out of alignment. (Don't ask.)
Nicfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
yaris4062007

Drives: 07 BB yaris / 06 Mustang Gt
Very true, many shop will screw up the alignment. Example big o tires, wheel works made it worse then before. Loose steering after alignment. Btw yaris doesnt require 4 wheel alignment, solid axle for rear. Thrust angle alignment required,Under $60.00.
yaris4062007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
DARKSCOPE001

Drives: 2011 Yaris sedan
I call BS on the vent cleaning and fuel system cleaning. Ive seen some more advanced models of fuel cleaners but if you really want to "clean" your fuel system just run some regain but if left alone it should be just fine. Maybe change the fuel filter but shouldnt really need "cleaned" thats old school stuff afaik.

The vent service sounds like a bunch of horse poopy to me. the car is equiped with a cabin air filter so everything downstream of the air filter should be just fine idk take the inlet guard off and stick a shopvac down in there thats all the are gona do.

unless your rear brakes are acting up there is no reason to do them As far as im concerned brakes are an on condition replacement not a hard timed replacement.

Possibly get an alignment but I think its almost better these days if you have a tire discounters near by, if you buy 4 tires from them they will align your car for free. I had a buddy when i was in A&P school that worked at a tire discounters they have a pretty advanced alignment rack. Also they will rotate your tires, ballance and inflate them for the life of the tire.

But with all that said, car companies have to make money too, and part of the way they make there money is by getting customers to buy into a service package. Also many times the mechanic that sells you the package gets a commission off of the sale so they are generally pushy. I would skip over all of the "recommended service" and just enjoy your car

Best Luck
Sean Scott
DARKSCOPE001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
Happy Little Pony

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Vent cleaning service? I've never even heard of such a thing. Get a flashlight and look down inside your vents. If something is staring back at you, pay them! Otherwise, don't worry about it.
Happy Little Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #8
Yari-Chan

Drives: 2009 4-Door Sedan
I love this site!!!
Thanks so much to all that replied.
I feel better about going to get ONLY an oil change and declining all other services they recommend. I just needed confirmation that they are trying to sell me BS.

Akiko
Yari-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #9
parrisvpreston

Drives: 2007 Polar White Sedan S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Little Pony View Post
Vent cleaning service? I've never even heard of such a thing. Get a flashlight and look down inside your vents. If something is staring back at you, pay them! Otherwise, don't worry about it.
Made my day with that, thank you
parrisvpreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
I agree with much of what has already been posted.....and Happy Little Pony's post about the vent cleaning is hilarious. I can't imagine a Yaris needing a vent cleaning unless the car had been trapped in a flooded area with a pretty high water level....and then one would have other issues that would motivate me to get rid of that specific vehicle. My brakes started making noise at 205K miles or so (I think I put the actual number on a previous post) and when the shop checked my brakes all they needed was the rear brake service which includes 'a cleaning' (which would vary with the actual condition and the integrity of the shop) and making a small adjustment which only entails adjusting one or two screws if I remember correctly. This only cost me a little over 40.00 in Texas, but 75.00 sounds right for New York.....and in my case the brakes were no longer making noise and working better than they had recently....and my original pads all the way around are only 20 percent worn. The place where I get my oil changed (I don't get anything else done there because he charges too much for a full service and to me this is a harbinger re other items)..the last time I was in there a guy brought his car in for an alignment and the mechanic asked him if the steering was pulling to one side or the other. The customer said no. The mechanic said he'd love to sell the customer an alignment, but not at that time because he didn't need one. I would ask about what the fuel service entails and why you need it....I would love to be a fly on that wall to hear what BS he or she would likely come up with.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote