Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-31-2007, 07:19 PM   #19
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
I contacted one of those advert agencies a while back, those ones that pay you to cover your car with a sticker - was actually like 300 a month depending on driving habits... pretty sweet deal until I looked at the type of advertising.... you get what they give you, imagine driving around a Yaris with rims, kit etc and 'Vagisil' pasted all over it.

found this, its kinda funny.

Rice burner is a pejorative used initially to describe Asian-made — specifically Japanese-made — motorcycles and automobiles. Many variations have also been used, such as rice rocket for Japanese sport bikes.

More contemporary use of the term rice burner, along with the prefix rice, has taken on an alternate pejorative meaning for an automobile that has been modified to give impression of high performance, but does not necessarily have any high-performance capabilities. This practice is in contrast to the "stealth" or "sleeper" style of automotive modification, where a vehicle may have major performance modifications, but the appearance remains similar to that of a stock model. In this manner, the appellation can apply to any vehicle regardless of country of origin. The most commonly modified cars are sport compacts, but the term can apply to any class of vehicle, including trucks.

In Denmark, the drivers of these kind of asian-manufactured cars are referred to as "sushis". It is common for these people to hear comments like "move back to Japan" even if they are clearly not of Asian origin.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:23 PM   #20
FoEKuZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to FoEKuZ
got me sum too ..and i like to throw some rolls with it too
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2007, 01:21 PM   #21
Kitt

Drives: Thndr cl metallic HB 3 drs '05
Send a message via MSN to Kitt
well i just have a foose sticker in the rear window uhmmm a zildjian on the windshiled and an ironmaiden plate on the front. Is that rice??
Old 02-03-2007, 11:00 PM   #22
dngz

Drives: black yaris sedan
all show, no go = rice
dngz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:31 AM   #23
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by dngz View Post
all show, no go = rice
Using your logic, all Yarii = rice.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:36 AM   #24
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Drives: 2007 Black Sand Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Huge spoiler: negative
VTEC/NISMO stickers: negative
underbody neons: negative
spraypaint paint job: negative
huge chrome rims: negative
4" coffee can exhaust: negative

That's about as un-rice as it gets, a bit on the boring side, even

But what's the verdict on this, the plan for what my car will look like in the end?

I mean... we've got a big "go faster" stripe, big rear spoiler, a wide body kit that makes the car almost wider than it is long, eyebrows for god's sake... Sounds like rice, right?

IMO, to "unrice" that car, you need to ditch the riceboy wing, ditch the stripe, have the wheels either be silver or black, and lose the eyelids. That car stands out like a riceboy's car does, and ultimately, you'd be looked at as a ricer where I live with that car. White wheels and matching white stripe=surefire in cognito ricer.
Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:38 AM   #25
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by largeorangefont View Post
Using your logic, all Yarii = rice.
Incorrect. You missed his semantics in that post. A stock exterior Yaris=teh no shows. A modded, bodykitt'd out Yaris with no go=a ricer. Nice try though.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:43 AM   #26
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by static808 View Post
im just happy i havent seen any stickers on these cars yet. you know, those magical stickers that add horsepower to your car. at least, thats what all those civic and integra owners will tell you. points for violin's moonroof and leather interior, and points to etimago's aspirations. minus the white racing stripe, that will be the hottest yaris around, flat out...

--B
As a rule of thumb.

4 cylinder cars gain 5-6 whp per sticker, unless over 6" wide, then the windshield banner types gain 9 whp.

4 cylinder TURBO cars gain 12 whp per, and 15 per for banners.

6 cylinder and 8 cylinder cars gain 17 whp per, and 21 per for banners (oddly enough, these cars are least found with stickers on them....the 4 banger crowd usually has to have a lot of stickerzzzz to make up for the lack of displacement).

10 and 12 cylinder cars like the Vipers and Ferraris actually receive another engine's worth of power simply by adding the "dynamic duo," the front/rear banner combo....always a classic.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:47 AM   #27
BokChoi
Mada Mada Dane...

Drives: Toyota Yaris LB
O RLY?
Old 02-04-2007, 12:06 PM   #28
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimble View Post
Incorrect. You missed his semantics in that post. A stock exterior Yaris=teh no shows. A modded, bodykitt'd out Yaris with no go=a ricer. Nice try though.
There are no semantics involved. These are slow cars. As far as I am concerned, people should do whatever the hell they want, because less than 1% of the people that modify these cars will do the drivetrain swap needed to make the car significantly faster. So, put on 20s, add 300 lbs of stereo equipment, bolt on giant wings and body kits and whatever else because there is very little hope of making these cars fast.

There is not much that anyone has done to make a Yaris "go" at this point. A Yaris with around 130 WHP would be the beginnings of what I would call "go". That said, we are all modifying these cars mostly for looks, and handling. We are all ricers.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:13 PM   #29
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BokChoi View Post
O RLY?
YA RLY.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:15 PM   #30
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Quote:
There are no semantics involved. These are slow cars. As far as I am concerned, people should do whatever the hell they want, because less than 1% of the people that modify these cars will do the drivetrain swap needed to make the car significantly faster. So, put on 20s, add 300 lbs of stereo equipment, bolt on giant wings and body kits and whatever else because there is very little hope of making these cars fast.

There is not much that anyone has done to make a Yaris "go" at this point. A Yaris with around 130 WHP would be the beginnings of what I would call "go". That said, we are all modifying these cars mostly for looks, and handling. We are all ricers.
I disagree. Putting 20's and 300lbs of stereo crap will actually make the Yaris a downright dangerous car to drive. It is barely peppy enough to flow with Chicago traffic as is. And those small brakes don't like 50 lb wheel/tire packages, not to mention that the suspension cannot handle an increase of 300+lbs of weight. Need I go on, or are you sure enough you're wrong?
Old 02-04-2007, 03:38 PM   #31
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
Quote:
As a rule of thumb.

4 cylinder cars gain 5-6 whp per sticker, unless over 6" wide, then the windshield banner types gain 9 whp.

4 cylinder TURBO cars gain 12 whp per, and 15 per for banners.

6 cylinder and 8 cylinder cars gain 17 whp per, and 21 per for banners (oddly enough, these cars are least found with stickers on them....the 4 banger crowd usually has to have a lot of stickerzzzz to make up for the lack of displacement).

10 and 12 cylinder cars like the Vipers and Ferraris actually receive another engine's worth of power simply by adding the "dynamic duo," the front/rear banner combo....always a classic.
hahaha! we need to run out and get some stickers immediately! unfortunately, all we have at home are keroppi and hello kitty stickers...

--B
Old 02-04-2007, 10:29 PM   #32
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
I disagree. Putting 20's and 300lbs of stereo crap will actually make the Yaris a downright dangerous car to drive. It is barely peppy enough to flow with Chicago traffic as is. And those small brakes don't like 50 lb wheel/tire packages, not to mention that the suspension cannot handle an increase of 300+lbs of weight. Need I go on, or are you sure enough you're wrong?
I'm not the one doing that stuff to my car. More power to others if they want to. I would much have idiots driving cars that are too slow than ones that are too fast.

The suspension can definately handle 300 lbs of extra weight. You can verify this by putting 4 people in your car and driving around. Would I reccomend tons of stereo and dynamat in the car? No. You are right about the heavy wheels and smaller brakes, but I am more worried about the SUVs with 26s and stock brakes than a Yaris with 20s and the stock brakes. The added weight of the SUV makes the problem exponentially worse than the Yaris scenario.

Last edited by largeorangefont; 02-05-2007 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:12 AM   #33
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Quote:
The added weight of the SUV makes the problem exponentially worse. than the Yaris scenario.
True. I read somewhere that one 22" wheel with a typical wide SUV tire is something like 80lbs for the combo.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:24 AM   #34
ASHRAF
Scubie Du

Drives: '10 SWP STi/'09 Escalade
Send a message via AIM to ASHRAF Send a message via MSN to ASHRAF Send a message via Yahoo to ASHRAF
we don't have traffic issues here in Perth (Australia)

my car is 1.3L auto and I don't need anything faster than that

I think it's a very slow car so I don't mind making it lil bit slower

18"s, neons, anything that I wanna do, I'll do
and what is wrong with rice, I love it

as long as I, and my friends love the car, that's all what matters
'08 Fiji Blue Pearl Honda Civic Mugen Si - US
'08 Lightning Red Subaru Impreza WRX STi - US
'09 Diamond White Pearl Cadillac Escalade - US (current)
'10 Satin White Pearl Subaru Impreza WRX STi - US (current)
'11 Yaris?
ASHRAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 02:30 AM   #35
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
True. I read somewhere that one 22" wheel with a typical wide SUV tire is something like 80lbs for the combo.
pretty sure it is close to that.... I have 2 24" wheels in the back of the Yaris and she was squatted pretty good.... they are a Pain in the ass to mount on the car because they are so heavy
Old 07-23-2007, 09:25 AM   #36
REM

Drives: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL
[QUOTE=Nimble;53039]IMO, to "unrice" that car, you need to ditch the riceboy wing, ditch the stripe, have the wheels either be silver or black, and lose the eyelids. QUOTE]

Nimble,
Why is having white wheels on a red car rice? If that is the case there are many Mini Coopers that are rice when they are still stock. Why is black okay then?

Also, I would think that a nice set of white rims are less rice than the stock hub caps that most of us have. Afterall, isn't rice when you have somthing that pretends it is something that it is not?